View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
TommyMacLuckie
Howboutcha!

Zone: 8B
Name: Tommy
BananaBucks : 207,723
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 375 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Banana plant lifespan

Hardwoods vary in their active growth cycle, which generally equals the amount of time they die. For instance, a live oak can take 30 years (or maybe it's 70, I can't remember exactly right now) to grow, can live for 1000 years and then it takes 30 (or 70) years for it to die.

If one has a banana plant and it's rather tall and then it breaks or you cut it in half of course it's going to bloom sooner - the amount of leaves means nothing when it's time to bloom. Because sometimes they don't put out any leaves, they'll just bloom - as I've seen happen to one that broke last year. I cut it below where it broke and a week later out came the flag and the bloom - with no fronds on it.

The fruit was worthless but it still did it's thing without making more leaves. And it would have bloomed in late August or September based on others at that time that did. So had it not broke it would have made more leaves but not many.
TommyMacLuckie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To TommyMacLuckie
Said thanks: