View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
daryl

Zone: 6a
Name: jurassicdaryl
BananaBucks : 12,524
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 35 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Free in Cincinnati

I'll let you know. Hopefully I have a trade with one of the posters for a dwarf orinoco(ehem CookieCows...), but other than that they're yours. There's plenty! Not sure I have enough to warrant a box truck unless your goal is to try transporting with all their leaves AND keep them going all winter vs. letting them go dormant- no wind burn in the box truck transporting them...I generally cut the big/fat ones so the puesdostem is only a couple feet high(no more leaves), put the root ball in a heavy-duty contractor bag and store them in a dark corner of my basement. They're maybe 80lbs at this point. Other than a couple potted ones on my deck that become houseplants for the winter, I don't have a place to "keep em' going". At any rate there's enough for at least a pick-up truck. Once they get dug up and seperated, they always seem much bigger...Also, I have a couple upright elephant ears for you have if you like. If you had the box truck, you could try digging up a couple and see if they could overwinter in the warehouse - I'm curious about that. I overwintered a big upright elephant ear in my kitchen last winter for the first time and its still doing great but its ALWAYS been in a pot - never transplanted. It takes a 2-wheeler to move that guy...It was kind of huge in my kitchen lol...With most of my EE's I dig up, I clip the leaves/stems, dry out for a month and then store in boxes over the winter, like coconuts lol. Anymore I just keep the biggest ones and pitch the rest. The bulbs don't do so well in the compost...(think gooey melted marshmallow). Btw, I have some good castor bean seeds. I've had an "unsual" summer so I haven't had as much time to spend watering and fertilizing my jungle like I normally would. I only have 4 castor bean plants this year. The tallest one is 17' so far - should be closer to twenty feet by now... They're staked but a good "hurricane" aftermath/strong wind sometimes spells doom.

Hopefully this "global warming" continues, but I'm probably looking like the second week of Oct. as a guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
I'm only a few miles from you daryl over in Colerain.
I may be interested in a few, although fortunately mine have been pupping like crazy this year. Heck come spring though I'm ready to get out of the house and do some planting. The more beds the less grass mowing
I have a pretty good size warehouse to store them in over the winter if I can get a box truck onto your property and no one else wants them I'll take 'em off your hands.
Thanks to this board and the everyone here I think the neighbors think I'm a fanatic, not to mention what my wife thinks.
Although during the summer it gives the phrase "welcome to the jungle" a whole new meaning..lol
daryl is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To daryl
Said thanks: