View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 508,623
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: Trying out a new fertilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow87 View Post
I guess I should start looking at coffee stores to collect more. The water and soil here is very alkaline. I guess I need to find a pH kit. I always throw out some coffee grounds around other parts of my garden because the soil is clay and alot of it is horrible for growing things. I mainly got this fertilizer because it was on sale and it had humic acid and soil activator in it and I wanted a healthy root system for my plants, and the soil activator helps out the microorganisms and helps with with clay or sandy soils. The fertilizer products in Lowes aren't very diverse. Its mainly scotts, miracle gro and some off brands and none had high potassium in the. I got that one because it had the highest amount that I saw.
Fertilizers with high proportions of phosphates can kill micro-organisms, and so will too much acidity.

Over-use of coffee grounds are a leading cause of plant death, right after over-watering. Also, coffee grounds contain a number of compounds you might not want to add to your soil -- or have in your food for that matter. To test your soil pH, use an inexpensive magnetometer type like this one: