View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gecko

Zone: 9-10
Name: Gecko
BananaBucks : 9,941
Said "Thanks" 13 Times
Was Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Cool Back to posting -occasionally

Hi Everyone,

I have been away from the group for a about a year. Thought I would update and Re hello.

Last Summer we had a run of hot dry weather - and I was away for 2 months in the worst. I lost all my "speciality" bananas except for two. The family that were watering for me just could not keep my plants hydrated.

So I was left with 3 small plots with Orinoco and a sorry looking Margarita and a Red Rowe or Dwarf Red. I nursed things back and we had a cold snap. There went the Margarita.

So almost back to square one.

I have worked like a mad man and have strung several thousand feet of irrigation line along fences, in the citrus grove, in the tropical fruit grove, and to my bananas.

As an experiment (I saw on the board someone was overwintering a banana in water) I moved the Red to our new koi pond bog filter (a gravel bed with water flowing up) and made sure the corm was higher than the water level and plopped that sucker in. It has pupped and puts up a new leaf weekly, I think it must be a dwarf as it is only 2 1/2 feet tall.

The Orinoco are growing like weeds, I have one fruiting and another that just flowered.

So as a newbie I am doing ok.

Thanks for letting me vent...

Gecko

MoltenGecko Glassworks
moltengecko.etsy.com molten.geckoglassworks.com
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gecko
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors