View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
pineapplefarmerwannabe

Zone: 9
Name: Brian
BananaBucks : 3,067
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Pond pump, how long should I run it for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydad View Post
Brian, great ponds. I would 1. add some more plants now. No need to fill it, but enough for partial shading and accelerate the nitrate removal, and 2. run your pump all the time. If you don't you run the risk of having some of the bacteria die since they're not getting a fresh supply of oxygenated water. Also, with fish, I would always want the pumps circulating the water. I keep my pump running 12 months a year, even when iced over.

And Chief- you've been saying you want a pond for years. Now's the time!!!!
Actually when the linear ripped in our old pool I rescued like 30 lily and grew them in the huge pool for 1 year till they got large and the water after a year was 4 foot deep in the deep in and I threw some fish in,and transported.I am very educated in aquaculture and almost landed a job where they wanted to
have a 2 year degree or pursuing the degree.One of 2 of the head guys owned the Koi farm in Port Allen and I don't think he really wanted me to know how he was breeding hes koi,and the lady told me they do some koi breeding in 4'x10' ponds and 6 foot deep.I don't know why people get they get upset for someone very energetic,and absorbs as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks Brian