View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
cowboyup4christ

Zone: 8
Name: Jim
BananaBucks : 61,385
Said "Thanks" 14 Times
Was Thanked 217 Times in 93 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: New Member who has just been bitten by the Banana Bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nph View Post
Hi

I just got bitten by the Banana Bug when I realized my Basjoo and Chinese Yellow bananas had survived the winter while my four (!), including a really big one 5+ years, Canary Date Palms had all died... Despite the excruciating efforts to cover them for the cold I spent!

Since then I have planted a few more bananas so now I have:
- 5 Basjoos, including a large one I found at a local nursery where I bought the trunk itself.
- 2 Ice Cream, one in the ground and one in a pot
- 3 Chinese Yellow
- 1 Margarita in the ground
- 2 Grand Nain in the ground (found them at Home Depot!)
- 1 Edible plant from CostCo which I think was California Gold. Bought it last year and put it in a pot which ended up spending winter in my garage before I put it in the ground this April. Any chance I will get fruit on it you think?

Now I am just waiting for my Dwarf Orinoco and an Iteran plant from GreenEarth Inc, ordered on the 22nd and still the site shows "shipping in 4-7 days" starting to wonder when they will show up...
Got one plant from Stokes Tropical that was fast efficient and plant showed up in great shape.

I live in Plano, which is just north of Dallas and should be zone 8 even if this winter we had down to 12F.

Anyone else in the forum live and try to grow palms in DFW area?

The plants in the ground I hope I can take the trunk from the edible ones so they can flower next year since I assume they wont otherwise.

It is starting to look great in the back of the house with that tropical flavor.

Looking forward to learn from you all here and share my experiences!
look at the plants for sale ad on here Jimmmy is in texas I think and has some nice blue java plants just got some from him today
Isa 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
In Christ
Jim Babb
Chile peppers go good with anything even naners and Ice Cream
http://www.uponhigherground.com/waddscreek/
http://www.hs.facebook.com/pages/Car...m/254209619224

cowboyup4christ is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cowboyup4christ
Said thanks: