View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
jwmahloch

Zone: 6 - 7
Name: Jeremy
BananaBucks : 62,985
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 64 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to jwmahloch
Default Re: Overwintering Musa Bordelon in zone 6-7

Keep in touch. I will let you know when the bordelon pups are ready. Normally each of my plants produces up to 10 pups, when I divide them it seems like only about half of them have enough roots to survive. When I have pups I will dig them up and put them in pots in my greenhouse (under a shade cloth), and wait a week or so to make sure they make it.

What other varities of bananas do you have? Have you had any plants flower or produce bananas? I have not as of yet but maybe this year. I have been able to get my basjoos pretty tall, about 15 feet last year. Should be able to get 18 feet or maybe more this year since they seem to get bigger each year. I think the ones are the MO botanical garden got 18 or 20 feet in the Chinese garden. they cut their's back to the ground and when I was there on Sat their basjoos were only about 4 feet tall, so I am already ahead of that. The key is to uncover as early as possible I think. This years early Spring helped.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors