View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #676 (permalink)
sbl

Zone: 8/9
BananaBucks : 65,683
Said "Thanks" 177 Times
Was Thanked 731 Times in 395 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 154 Times
Default Re: What is blooming in your garden today (other plants)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Cool Emily,... my 1 1/2 year old dwarf key lime flowers and sets small fruit and then for some reason they all drop and I loose them. Interesting to see how yours does in the future and in comparison how mine does this year. Have you smelled the flowers? The dwarf lime has the best smelling blooms of all my plants.
Bob, a citrus tree will only set as much fruit as it thinks it can support, so it is normal that 98% of all citrus flowers drop without setting fruit. There are 2 factors that can help your tree in setting fruit-- fertilizer and water--especially during the time just before bloom until mid June. A foliar spray of 1 to 2% Potassium Nitrate along with a good slow release fertilizer about a month before bloom will provide the nutrients the tree needs to set fruit. As for watering, do not let the tree dry too much, but you have to be careful about overwatering as well. If you have a good fast draining media with lots of air spaces, overwatering will not be a problem, but if your soil has lots of peat moss, it can be difficult to maintain the right amount of water.
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sbl
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors