View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
SeriousBan

BananaBucks : 11,002
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Winter's effect in Houston

It was a winter test of a new magnitude around here. I haven't added up just how many freezing night we had, but at maybe 20. It was that string of 8 consecutive freezing nights, including a drop to 16 degrees, that must have done it.
As much as the daily predicted weather doesn't always work out, they got this one right - "the coldest winter in a decade". Compared to last winter's eight nights of light freeze, never below 28 degrees, this one was murder. Of course, we have had winters now and then in Houston in the last 20 years with no freeze at all.
So, did we get away with it here in north Houston. Not really. Although the ones in the heated tents and garage all made it just fine, every variety except two froze down to near the ground. I've sliced down the stalks, and some of the cores have popped up, some in 5 minutes in fact, but I doubt we'll be seeing bananas from those this year. But there's sprouts out of old cut stalks (not really new pups) on nearly every plant, nothing really died, just set back a year.
When I felt the stalks of 8" diameter Raja Puri, Praying Hands, Ice Cream, Misi Luki, Orinoco, they were hard and firm halfway down. It was a surprise that the core really wasn't white and alive until I sliced down nearly to ground level.
So, how did it go with you fellows? Anybody in South Houston, Alvin, Pasadena or the like with any main live stalks over a foot? At this point, I've learned that you can't really kill them here with a cold winter, but you can kill the fruit crop. We will see what happens with those with popped cores. Of course, we did find that heating them on freezing nights with a space heater under platic tents is very easy and totally effective, it gets absolutely cozy in there.
So what have you found?

Seriousban
SeriousBan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SeriousBan
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors