View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bob
Orang Puteh

Zone: 6a
Name: bob
BananaBucks : 205,752
Said "Thanks" 9,537 Times
Was Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,694 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 565 Times
Question Re: Lost during winter RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydad View Post
After reading the above sad reports, and I give my condolences to all, I have to comment on Siam Ruby. This is the 3rd winter that I have lost my mother plant (kept indoors) but not the pups. Strangely, the mother plant does well until the end of the winter. It's as if the lengthening days send a signal of senescence and it self destructs. Now I'm seeing many similar reports, and very few like this for other varieties. Thoughts?
Interesting observation Howard. Last year my Siam Ruby thrived all winter. I was in the warmest brightest spot in my front porch and used up the most water of all the bananas all winter long. This year just as you mentioned it lasted all winter and then just completely died down and has now thrown out 2 vigorous pups. The only difference I can tell was that it was not in as warm and bright a spot. Other bananas next to it lived and limped along all winter and I thought the SR would do the same..... nope. As mentioned , as soon as the days started lengthening it just crapped out and started putting out the pups........hmmmmmm?