Thread: First Winter
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
plantguy

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 4,067
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: First Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
Hi All, from cold Long Island. I planted 2 basjoos on my lawn last May. They grew to 6 and 8 feet high. In early October I stripped off the leaves. I wrapped one in burlap and the other with burlap and tar paper. Both bases were loaded with mulch. In January the tar papered tree fell over, followed 2 weeks ago by the other. Now I will wait and see if either or both come back in the spring. I also built a cage stuffed with hay and covered with burlap and half with tar paper for my agave of 35 years which was not doing well. I have another in my living room that is over 6' high in the pot. I also did the same with a windmill palm, but added Christmas lights for warmth. I hope some or all my "winterized" plants come back. I hope I am not like Charley Brown waiting for the Great Pumpkin. Enjoy the rest of the winter.
Hey bananas/ neighbor- Good luck with your two. This is the second winter mine have been in the ground. First winter I did the setup with chicken wire/mulch/hay/ leaves & covered it with a tarp. Uncovered it in the spring & the 4' of stems were mush to the ground. Cut it down to the ground & they came back great. This winter I took a 36" wide plastic drum, the type you see landscapers use. I cut the bottom out & placed it around the 3 or 4 stems that I took the leaves off. This time I filled it completely with mulch & wraped a tarp around it. I can't wait to see the outcome this spring. I also dug up 3 IC's. They are sleeping under a blanket in the basement. Last I checked they looked good.
My windmill has about 4' of trunk. This is the second winter I wraped it with frost cloth. They are hardy.
Good luck!
plantguy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To plantguy
Said thanks: