View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
serial_killer
Igrow Hydro

Zone: 6
Name: Dan
BananaBucks : 15,455
Said "Thanks" 16 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Grow Box is Awesome!

Awesome, did you get your cool tube from ebay? It looks to be the exact one I have, same clip on reflector and all.

One thing, it is really not good to run cool tubes without active cooling, the tube traps the heat inside and cooks the bulb. You can pick up a cheap 6" "duct booster" fan at lowes for about $30 and get some 6" flexi ducting. Another advantage of this is that you can direct the heat coming off it to where ever you want.

My 600W HPS in my cool tube is in a different room, my hydro banana and my hydro lettuce setups are in a room heated ONLY by the air coming off the 600w light (well and the heat from the un-cooled 400W they sit under) I have mine intake cold air from my garage, usually about 50*, run threw the light and then out into my other grow room where it exits at 90*. The room stays at 72 with the heater vent closed off.

If you didnt want all the ventilation tubes running everywhere you could set it up without an intake, just leave the one end open, run a short piece of ducting down to the floor and set the fan on the ground, since heat rises having it come out at the floor is preferred anyway.

Actually I see your local, I just replaced my 6" duct fan I mentioned with a lot larger fan to act as room ventilation too. I would sell it to you for $20 if your interested. Its only about 2 months old.

Oh one more thing, dont forget the inverse square law- LOWER THAT LIGHT!
serial_killer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To serial_killer