View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
sandy0225
Northern Tropics

Zone: zone 5
Name: Sandy
BananaBucks : 355,509
Said "Thanks" 38 Times
Was Thanked 1,801 Times in 682 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: brugmansia Question???

Another thing I'm trying this year.... A lady in Indianapolis(one of my customers), zone 5 too like I am, she left hers out last year in the ground, but she mulched it with bags of leaves just like you do with the basjoo banana. It came back from just above the ground. So I'm trying that this year so I will report next spring if it works here too. We are more like 5a than Indianapolis area is. It's just a little bit warmer usually there.
I tried mulching a naranjilla this year like that, just because I felt sorry for it. I wasn't about to dig up that thorny 7 foot tall monster again this year. I had others already in pots I could overwinter. I thought it was better than nothing!
Basically, if the part of the brug that you cut off bloomed last year, it will bloom this year. If it wasn't mature enough, it will not bloom until it forms a Y. If it's a straight stick but you cut it off the blooming part above the Y, it will bloom. I have two blooming in the greenhouse today-- a versicolor peach variegated, and an Inca sun. My Cherub pink is dogging me out and not blooming yet, but it's sitting on the floor and the roots are colder there.

Northern Tropics Greenhouse
1501 East Fuson Road
Muncie, IN 47302
www.northerntropics.com

specializing in bananas, heirloom tomatoes and water gardening plants~
check out our new online store at our website!
sandy0225 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sandy0225
Said thanks:
Sponsors