View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
LilRaverBoi
Nanner Time!

Zone: 5
Name: Bryan
BananaBucks : 114,063
Said "Thanks" 534 Times
Was Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,245 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 855 Times
Send a message via AIM to LilRaverBoi
Default Re: Best Banana for Fruiting in Containers???

Like Jack said, the bigger the pot, the better. Fruiting does not seem to directly depend on size OR age of the plant. Plants fruit at various heights depending on conditions (though there is a general 'range' of normal sizes for any variety). They also fruit at a variety of ranges. There is a lot of variation here within any variety (and DEFINITELY between varieties). I've read of a theory that bananas fruit after putting out a particular number of leaves...though again, not always true.

Bananas fruit at 'around' a particular height for that variety and 'around' a certain age...but a lot of this variation depends on care, size of pot, fertilizer, sunlight, etc. Sounds like you're doing things right, though...maybe try a larger pot if it's getting rootbound.

Oh, and one important thing to note is that the 'height' posted on website or in the wiki here at which a variety fruits at is PSEUDOSTEM HEIGHT...not total height. I just checked the wiki and it says Dwarf Red fruits at 6-8'...so expect total height to be at LEAST 2-3 feet taller than this due to the height of the soil off the ground in the pot and the reach of the leaves at the top. So, for potted growing purposes, this means DR fruits at 9-11 feet total height. Again, sounds like you're doing very well with yours and you were at least very close by the sounds of it.

If DR is too tall for your allotted space, consider switching to something smaller like super dwarf cavendish, as stated above (SDC fruits around 3-4' of pstem). Hope that helps!
RIP Tog Tan. We love you and will always remember you!
I'm Bryan with a Y! There is no 'I' in BRYAN!
LilRaverBoi is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To LilRaverBoi
Sponsors