Thread: Forcing A Bloom
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
CookieCows

Zone: 6-7
Name: Deb
BananaBucks : 71,796
Said "Thanks" 1,347 Times
Was Thanked 696 Times in 393 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 159 Times
Default Re: Forcing A Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hi Deb, I grilled Gabe pretty good about this when I first joined up asking questions regarding fertilization, photo period, and temperature fluctuations ( tricks northern growers use to get artichokes to act as an anual) and of course got the same answers you did. The one thing I really believe that we have to consider that others in warmer climates don't is the effects of transplant shock and how far this actually sets your plants back. Dormant periods, such as using the "bigdog" method must set them back considerably. I suspect that using the largest pots and highest temps you can provide over winter is part of the key along with proper , (not necesarily over) fertilization is the best strategy. I'm also going to try micorhizal fungai when planting out in spring to get the roots off to the best start. A few other tricks such as warming the soil with plastic mulch etc couldn't hurt either.
I agree with you Bob. I'm learning a little more each year. The transplanting in and out of pots is stressful and that is one of the things I get concerned about. I never did get the biochar going last year and that is one of my goals also to get the beds outside amended with that before transplanting. I have no clue what the mycorrihiza fungi is so looked it up real quick. It sounds great! Is this something that can be soaked in with the smashed briquets I wonder? I'm still not sure what I need to buy to soak the biochar in prior to tilling it in the soil.

BTW.. I have never had sucess with artichokes and I have tried for the past two years. I have in fact two dead artichoke plants right now sitting on my bath tub against a south facing window that died after bringing them inside..... both years!

CookieCows is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To CookieCows

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors