Thread: Forcing A Bloom
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
CookieCows

Zone: 6-7
Name: Deb
BananaBucks : 71,799
Said "Thanks" 1,347 Times
Was Thanked 696 Times in 393 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 159 Times
Default Re: Forcing A Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
Bananas generally cannot be forced to flower, they just do it when they are old enough and happy enough. Depending on the variety and the conditions, the blooming process begins 3-6months before you see anything happen. Flowering is sometimes triggered by stress, however, (like pineapple) if you have a small plant flower you will have a small bunch, and if the plant is stressed out its likely because its severely lacking in nutrition and these plants usually do not make good fruit at all. So the best thing you can do is just to give them all you got and hope for the best.
Three to six months prior to reaching the top... that is what I was wondering so now that I know I can't force it with an imbalance of fertilizer I'll get busy on caring for it as if it was already outside. I've been holding it back as it already reaches the ceiling in the 'bedroom turned plant room' but if I bring it out into the main living area I think I can we can give it more space and start a growth spurt which I'll begin with some nice aquaponics water first.

Ok, I'm not as discouraged as I thought. One day ... it'll happen!

CookieCows is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To CookieCows
Said thanks: