View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
parid09

BananaBucks : 13,349
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Just Checking in... seeing if im doing things right for winter indoors...

Hi frondly. I am very well aware of the PNW darkness, as I moved here ( Wisconsin ) from Bellevue, Wa. years ago. The flourescents range from six or so feet from the shorter plants, and the taller ones are growing into them. I have found that the nanners have done fairly well for short periods of time with low light, being more sensitive to over watering than anything, but as mentioned before with the fan, that does not seem to be as much of an issue.. kind of something you have to "fine tune" with your particular conditions. The soil really has to be well drained and any corm sitting in even the smallest amount of water is toast. As also mentioned by just about everybody out there, keep a very keen eye out for spider mites, as you can be doing everything else right, but these little guys can take 'em out. Just look for the "dandruff" looking stuff under the leaves toward the margins, the tiny brown spots and the webbing, which is usually very fine in texture. you usually see this before you actuall see the beasties. Good luck!!
parid09 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To parid09
Said thanks: