View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #244 (permalink)
blownz281

Zone: 8b coastal
BananaBucks : 350,527
Said "Thanks" 440 Times
Was Thanked 756 Times in 534 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 14 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

I had to put a bunch of nanners outside as I have a soil bug problem. I am going to store them in my storage closet outside. Which is attached to the apartment and we are 15ft off the ground,maybe that will help with warmth? Anyhow as follows - Ice Cream,Brodelon,Sikk,Cavendish which will die,Laterias. Now these have been in the house for three months and were growing great. We are suppose to drop down to the 30's tonight. SO I need to get these guys into my storage unit TODAY. So will I loose these plants from the temp change,living in 70* temps for months then living in cold temps? They sat outside in the upper 40's lastnight. Where we are located is near a large river and the ocean on the other side so we stay warmer by about 5* compared to the weather report. Zone 8 NC. This is a completely closed up storage unit just like a closet in your house. Now all these nanners will last here in the ground all year around so they should be fine being stored bare root instead of the pots. Correct?

This is my list of plants-
Basjoo
Sikk
Yellow
Laterias
Velutina
Brodelen
Ice Cream
Oricono
Would they over winter better being removed from there pots with the roots not in dirt? Thanks !!
blownz281 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To blownz281