Thread: Glui Kai
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
legumepole

Zone: Zone 9 (Sunset Zone 8)
BananaBucks : 19,610
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Glui Kai

Does anyone have experience with the cold tolerance of the Glui Kai banana?

I have a very small one in a 1 galon pot.

It was sitting in a protected spot against a south facing wall under the overhang of the roof.
My lowest temp this year has been ~ 37 with light frost apearing on rooftops.

The Glui Kai looks to have suffered form severe cold damage.
All the leaved are burnt and the outer layers of the psudo stem are dead.

I have several other similar sized varieties of banana pups in the same spot (Blue Java, Dwarf Orinoko, gold finger, apple, no-name from Guatemala), and none of them has the slightest sugestion of damage (in fact some are still growing).

Has anyone had similar experiences with Glui Kai bieng unusually cold sensitive?

I stripped away the dead outer layers of psudostem and brought the plant inside for the winter.

If this is typical, I will end up giving this one to a friend with a greenhouse before I kill it.

Thanks,

Jeff
legumepole is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To legumepole
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors