View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
jwmahloch

Zone: 6 - 7
Name: Jeremy
BananaBucks : 62,962
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 64 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to jwmahloch
Default Anyone else growing Palm trees in Missouri (or in the midwest)?

Is anyone else growing palm trees and sucessfully overwintering outside in Missouri? I have had sucess overwintering 2 Trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palms) last winter. The one in the attached picture was a 1 gal plant and was planted in June 2008. I also planted a Washingtonia palm (California fan palm) in April 2009. It was a 7 gallon tree when I bought it and has grown to over 6 feet tall now. The windmill palm is growing much slower.
I plan on wrapping the trucks with pipe heating cables and burlap and enclosing in a leaf cage.

Does anyone have any tips on overwintering a washingtonia palm (CA fan palm) in USDA zone 6/7?

Jeremy
St Peters, MO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102309-2.JPG (1.82 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 102309-3.JPG (1.87 MB, 40 views)

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors