View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
JuniPerez
Puerto Rican Gone Bananas

Zone: 6b
Name: Juni Perez
BananaBucks : 77,671
Said "Thanks" 153 Times
Was Thanked 202 Times in 117 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 13 Times
Send a message via ICQ to JuniPerez Send a message via AIM to JuniPerez Send a message via Yahoo to JuniPerez Send a message via Skype™ to JuniPerez
Default Re: First time digging up bananas for winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikifarmer View Post
I am kind of curious why you dug up a plant that has been successfully overwintered in the ground in the past ?
Hi Tikifarmer... thanks for responding.

The problem with this year is that both the musa basjoo and the musa sikkimensis had lots of pups. Four plants (two of each kind) produced a total of 28 pups. Everyone was in line for the pups, especially those folks who called me crazy for having bananas growing up here - now that they saw how they survived last winter. So for removing the pups this late in the season, I didnt want to cut pups all around the plants and leave the mothers in-ground to "heal" in the cold. I didn't know if it'd be right. So I decided to just dig them up. The musella lasiocarpas I just got this spring, so I've never overwintered them and wasn't willing to risk leaving them outside.

Your picture of the bareroot plants helps a lot. That's how mine look, dry roots. The stems are holding well, but I was starting to get concerned about the smaller ones and of temperatures in there... it's sometimes in the upper 40's, sometimes upper 50's.
JuniPerez is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JuniPerez