View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,340,776
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Siam Ruby Banana Fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaclese View Post
when the Siam Ruby was first discovered in 2005 the natives that were selling that original plant claimed that it had a sweet fruit so thats were the idea that its sweet comes from. its closely related to Musa acuminata Tapo AA which is the side of the Musa family were the sweet part comes from. so as an educated guess all say it sweet. just as an side note to this discussion the main reason I believe no ones got it to fruit is that it needs high levels of constant heat above 95 to 110. this is the rang that iv noted that it grows the best in not the normal 84 to 94 degrease like most other Musa grow in. just from my observations its not all that in to humidity. but were it was discovered is vary humid but i believe it was transported there from the P.N.G. by human intervention. keep trying sooner or later one of us geniuses is going to get the Nobel prise for fruiting it! J/K but it will happen and when it dose its going to be front page news on the BQ news and I'm sure who ever dose it will have more then one horticultural reporter on there door step.
I was first shown the plant in 2004 and the story I was told was that it was collected in the wild in Indonesia, I know Indonesia is a very large place but thats all I was told. It wasn't until a few years later that stories of it being a sport of some edible cultivar called 'Tapo' from PNG started to circulate. There was also for a short time reports that it was from Palawan in the Philippines. There is diploid (AA) cultivar from PNG called 'Tapo', but there is really not much available information on it. Who knows what its true origins are.

I have speculated since 2004 that it would be a seeded, wild plant, and today I finally had the chance to call a friend who has been growing it for awhile to find out. I don't have any photos (yet), but based on the description it sounds like it is indeed a wild-type, seeded plant.
Sponsors