View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
JoeS475
Winter Sucks...

Zone: 6-7
Name: Joe
BananaBucks : 99,682
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: basjoo withered in storage

As an experiment I left one 4' Basjoo unprotected (except for some soil) in my garage on the coldest night of the year - 2.2 degrees! The entire pseudostem went to mush, as expected, so I'm now waiting to see if the corm survived.

My 5' Basjoo spent several nights at 16 degrees, possibly a little less, and many nights below freezing, but the pseudostem seems to be intact although soft. It has also been brought inside to see if it will survive.

In my basement, which is not cold enough, one 4' Basjoo is leaning on a 45 degree angle, but still has a thin pseudostem and a green spear.

My Lasiocarpa, also in the basement, is green and healthy and looks just like it did the day I put it there in October!

Incidently, last winter I tried growing the Lasiocarpa in a sunny room and it did so badly that I threw it away, outside straight into the snow where it sat for 2-3 months exposed to sun, rain and snow and all sorts of cold temperatures. Amazingly enough, while doing yard work in the spring I found the plant laying on its side where I threw it, and sure enough there was some green! I cleaned it up and gave it a bit of TLC and it thrived all year!

~Joe

JoeS475 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeS475