View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
MediaHound
Tally-Man

Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
BananaBucks : 1,996,771
Said "Thanks" 3,855 Times
Was Thanked 5,078 Times in 1,352 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,086 Times
Default Re: Tropical Storm Preps?

Well I just got back from Home Depot with a nice shiny new generator.
Yes, the power here is STILL out.

The storm went right over where I am. I went out the next morning and got some good photos. One is of a house crushed by a ficus tree

Ficus trees are shrubs. They are not hurricane proof trees. I repeat. Ficus trees are shrubs. Not to be used as trees in Florida.
Some people just don't get it.

I will post the pics soon (hopefully). Just strapped for time lately as there's so much work to do around here.
As far as the extent of the damage, the bananas did very good.
I lost some roof tiles, but that's about all I can complain about.

I got lucky though
I was out looking for Frangipani the next morning after the storm.
I found a lady chucking limbs of hers over her front fence, into a pile for the garbage. So I helped her clean her yard of the limbs, which she was thankful for. I don't think she knew what they were worth. Then I found some other various pieces here and there that people were throwing out.
And then the motherload.
Someone was throwing out an entire downed Frangipani tree. I gladly schlepped it home with me. I made out like a bandit... I'd say I got about 5K worth of Frangipanni there alone.
Any of you FL guys that want any, your more than welcome to some. Pieces sell on ebay for hundreds or thousands all the time. I know, I've bought many there
I know your into them, tlturbo... I saw a nice cutting drying out at your place when I was there. lmk if you want some of these.. that goes for anyone..

Well anyway, I hope everyone else is doing ok.
Let's pray the power comes back on soon for those of us still without.
Also a prayer for those that lost family members, homes, etc.
I'm really thankful that it wasn't all that terrible for me.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors