Location: Davie, Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Said "Thanks" 3,782 Times
Thanked 4,759 Times in 1,260 Posts
URL to the wiki!
Main Page - Bananas Wiki
This is the link to our wiki.
A few people asked about helping, I can assign some pages of content that need to be added to anyone who wants to help. Just reply here or by PM.
There may also be some bugs with the wiki not working as you would hope it would. So if you notice anything strange about it, please let me know so we can document all the bugs.
Some things to remember:
- All pages of the wiki get their own discussion page here in the forum. It's pretty easy to find, just click the "discussion" tab at the top of any wiki page to go to the discussion here in the forum.
- The pages have a map feature, you can add your location to any page with a map. Here is an example:
- Here are all the Musa, please interlink any deep description pages with this main list.
- Here is an example page of what most of the data pages will look like:
- Any link in red goes to a page that does not exist. Please create it if you see any of these "missing pages"! The links to it from all the other pages (these red links) will all automatically turn blue once you create the new page!
- We need everyone's help. We need some people to watch the new additions and edits by other people. Check this page for recent changes: Recent changes - Bananas Wiki
- We also need people to contribute new content. The concept behind a wiki is so that everyone in the community can get their hands wet and actually change the words that everyone else can see. Of course, if something goes wrong, we can always revert back to the previous version(s).
- The wiki is a big learning curve! It may take you a while (as in "years") before you understand the way it all works! Don't let it intimidate you, though. You're encouraged to contribute, every member of the forum is automatically an editor at the wiki. It is "members only". For the people, by the people!
- MAPS - Using the map feature (see the Ae Ae page above for an example) is fun and easy. You will see a link that reads "edit" all the way to the right, under where the page reads: "Members Growing This Banana". Click that "edit" link to edit that section (the map). The page that comes up, you will click "make a map", like you see here: click that link to see the map appear. You can then zoom in, and click any part of the map to add your location. After you add your point (by clicking the very spot where you want it), you will see the part of the page that reads: "Below is the Wiki mark-up to create the map above." Below there, you will see some lines of code that start with and end with . Copy all those lines (including those starting and ending tags), and replace the current version that appears in the textarea by pasting it on top. Then click "Show preview"! If you like the way it came out, you can then click save! Once you do a few of these, it will be extremely easy as it does take a moment to figure out the first time or two. But once you do it a few times, you'll learn your latitude and longitude, and each time after that will be really easy. There's even now a place to store your latitude and longitude in your profile for use later in other maps! Don't worry about remembering this all now, you will remember enough about the wiki maps to get you going!
- This is the link to find all your needs for "help" in the wiki: Help:Contents - Bananas Wiki check it out because there's actually a lot of useful info there. Even if you don't need help, please look at it and become familiar with it. Add anything you want there, as usual! This page is actually a good "getting started" page. Although it also has become a good place for note-taking while the wiki was being setup the first time, and some parts may not make entire sense to everyone!
- You can start a new page by adding the title to the URL in your address bar, like in the example below. Your Title Here - Bananas Wiki The resulting page will allow you to start that article and submit it to the community. Make sure to link to it from another page, so it's not lost in space.
- Looking for something to do for the wiki? Check out our Bananas_Wiki:Task_List for some ideas. I made a list of some pages that need creation: Template:BananaCultivarBulk - Bananas Wiki I will be adding and removing them from this page as time goes by and the wiki becomes more and more populated, things start getting caught up, etc.
A lot of info to digest, a lot still that needs to be done, but everyone can slowly start looking around and becoming familiar with things over in the wiki. Thanks for all your patience, this has been something in the works for a while!
Apologies in advance if I am slow to reply to your PM. I suggest posting in the forums for support if you need something urgent.
Last edited by MediaHound : 01-01-2007 at 11:59 PM.