Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Ornamental Bananas (http://www.bananas.org/f355/)
-   -   Resilient little lasiocarpas. (http://www.bananas.org/f355/resilient-little-lasiocarpas-16560.html)

john_ny 08-30-2012 12:34 PM

Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
I had some plants growing in the cellar, under lights, over the winter. One item was a 72 cell tray of Musella lasiocarpa TCs. They got too dry, and turned brown. Then I got some water on them, and they came back. I missed a couple of waterings, and they turned brown again. In the spring, I put the tray outside, and they came back a second time. They are now transplanted to 1 gallon pots, and growing well.

Abnshrek 08-30-2012 12:49 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
They must be part Orinoco.. lol :^)

sandy0225 11-27-2012 09:16 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
I'm good at banana torture too. I had a bordelon corm that I dug up real late in the fall. I was just going to let it freeze because I have plenty of bordelons, but the more times I walked by there, I got to feeling sorry for it! I stuffed it in a potting soil bag to carry it to the greenhouse because I was going to pot it up in there because it was like 25 degrees outside. Then I got a phone call and had to leave the house suddenly to pick up greenhouse supplies that came in. I didn't have time to pot it. Well, it was cold outside, and I didn't want to put it in the house, and the garage (heated) was locked, so I threw it under the bench in the greenhouse that was heated, and left. thought I'd pot it up later that day or tomorrow. Totally forgot about it...saw the bag under the bench several times and it still didn't make any connection in the lil brain of mine, because I save the used potting bags to use as trunk liners for customers cars in the spring, and I just thought that's what it was after a day or two.... Sat some pots in front of it...well spring came and that darned thing grew, poked it's way out of the bag, grew through 2x2" square mesh bench top, and put out some leaves. So I noticed it then, and cut the top off so I could get it out and potted it up. don't even know which one it is now, or if I sold it but it was a bordelon.

pushak513 12-01-2012 04:39 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
mine has about 3ft of P stem its been outside with temps down to 19 so far and keeps trying to put out a leaf. I keep cutting it off and putting the bag back over it but it just wont stop. they are pretty tough

cincinnana 12-22-2017 10:49 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Rolling out another older great thread.

I picked up a few last spring and they were slow growers .
I have them in the basement as an understory plant.

They have tolerated 90 days on dim light with a few lost leaves

They also seem to be somewhat prolific filling the containers with offshoots.

I have not inspected the plants yet to see where I might separate them.
They have a nice unique shape too.


Lasiocarpa
by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

subsonicdrone 12-23-2017 10:49 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
my plant has never had any pups
i was under the impression that you had to wound the plant severely cutting the centre to initiate pupping
i planned to just let mine flower and not go for pups

mine just died back like it does each winter season
one leaf in the centre is still green the rest are dying back

hopefully i get a flower next year ..
pstem height is over a foot now (and just as wide)

you are lucky to have all those pups
maybe try overwintering one next year in the same way you overwinter the basjoo

Tytaylor77 12-25-2017 01:39 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
They pup like crazy for me!!! I bet i have 20+ pups and 3 generations of pups on mine. And it’s not even a year old!! Separating them is another story! They are so hard to remove, have little corms, and no roots! They will grow from a speck of corm though!

Coolest thing about them is they will be your only plant with all intact leaves! Wind doesn’t tear their leaves!

cincinnana 12-26-2017 11:47 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by subsonicdrone (Post 311920)
my plant has never had any pups
i was under the impression that you had to wound the plant severely cutting the centre to initiate pupping
i planned to just let mine flower and not go for pups

mine just died back like it does each winter season
one leaf in the centre is still green the rest are dying back

hopefully i get a flower next year ..
pstem height is over a foot now (and just as wide)

you are lucky to have all those pups
maybe try overwintering one next year in the same way you overwinter the basjoo

I cannot wait till mine get bigger and thick like yours.
I do not know how old the parent(in the center if pot) is....my guess 2-3 years.

I will try to overwinter a few next year next to my Basjoos like you suggested.

.

Laso pups

by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

cincinnana 12-26-2017 11:51 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 (Post 311949)
They pup like crazy for me!!! I bet i have 20+ pups and 3 generations of pups on mine. And it’s not even a year old!! Separating them is another story! They are so hard to remove, have little corms, and no roots! They will grow from a speck of corm though!

Coolest thing about them is they will be your only plant with all intact leaves! Wind doesn’t tear their leaves!

After further looking to seperate from main plant yesterday......lol..:ha:

subsonicdrone 01-10-2018 01:53 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
here is what mine looks like right now
IMG_5869_zps7dd1ifhb.jpg Photo by subsonicdrone | Photobucket

IMG_5873_zps37ln871x.jpg Photo by subsonicdrone | Photobucket

IMG_5896_zpseh9se1cy.jpg Photo by subsonicdrone | Photobucket

IMG_5898_zpsfaxl2svv.jpg Photo by subsonicdrone | Photobucket

it has shrunk since its peak in the fall...

aruzinsky 01-11-2018 01:46 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincinnana (Post 311912)
...
They also seem to be somewhat prolific filling the containers with offshoots.

...

I thought it was unusual for Ensetes to sucker. Can you show a photo of suckering? I have one Ensete lasiocarpum for 6 months without suckering. I need more plants to use as controls in my experiments. I have it in the greenhouse now and supplement the daylight with a 5 watt LED spotlight so that it receives light 24/7 but a photocell turns it off in bright sunlight.

Tytaylor77 01-12-2018 03:11 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aruzinsky (Post 312426)
I thought it was unusual for Ensetes to sucker. Can you show a photo of suckering? I have one Ensete lasiocarpum for 6 months without suckering. I need more plants to use as controls in my experiments. I have it in the greenhouse now and supplement the daylight with a 5 watt LED spotlight so that it receives light 24/7 but a photocell turns it off in bright sunlight.

It is because it is not an Ensete! They are called:
Musella Lasiocarpa.
Same family: Musaceae.

They do pup and they pup pups as pups and their pups pup pups as pups! :woohoonaner: Super Puppers! I have seriously had 2” tall pups with 3-4 pups! I do fertilize heavilly though.

I love them. Very cool to watch them grow and they seem very very cold hardy. And just all around hardy! Sadly they are not edible! I hear their flowers can last for months!

aruzinsky 01-12-2018 11:07 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 (Post 312433)
It is because it is not an Ensete! They are called:
Musella Lasiocarpa.
Same family: Musaceae.

They do pup and they pup pups as pups and their pups pup pups as pups! :woohoonaner: Super Puppers! I have seriously had 2” tall pups with 3-4 pups! I do fertilize heavilly though.

I love them. Very cool to watch them grow and they seem very very cold hardy. And just all around hardy! Sadly they are not edible! I hear their flowers can last for months!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensete_lasiocarpum

In any event, mine hasn't suckered, yet.

subsonicdrone 01-12-2018 11:27 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
could the difference in pups be: tissue cultured plants vs seed propagated plants?

cincinnana 01-13-2018 09:03 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aruzinsky (Post 312426)
I thought it was unusual for Ensetes to sucker. Can you show a photo of suckering? I have one Ensete lasiocarpum for 6 months without suckering. I need more plants to use as controls in my experiments. I have it in the greenhouse now and supplement the daylight with a 5 watt LED spotlight so that it receives light 24/7 but a photocell turns it off in bright sunlight.

Steve, Fellas.

Here is a pic.

I had watched this plant in a local retail greenhouse for a couple of years before I had purchased splits from it ( plants are from the flowering parent) for 15 bucks.
I have no idea where the original stock came from.

This is a larger pup from the original split from a 3+- gal to 3 x 3gal split.

I used a Soilless mix with an Espoma organic Tomato Tone kicker.....to start. I used the Espoma I think because I was splitting some mini funkia, so used what I had.

For me, I will start most of my plants off with an appropriate organic fertilizer and then transition to water solubles as time goes.........And then possibly 19-19-19- or similar.

My trio of containers have now been moved to a warmer CFL setup along with a few other plants.

As TY had said.....How do you separate these plants? lol

When small they are so tight around the main plant.:08:

I do know they are easier to separate when they are much larger.



musella lasiocarpa pups

by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

aruzinsky 01-17-2018 01:31 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
My Ensete Lasiocarpum in greenhouse with supplementary 5 watt LED spotlight. The LED is off only during bright daylight. The plant gets light 24/7.


Although difficult to see, each new leaf is slightly larger than the one that preceded it. Currently, this is my only banana plant that has made that progress. However, this Winter has been unusually sunny. I should add that the atmosphere is CO2 enriched from ventless natural gas heaters. Also, this was the only banana plant that had a bad mite infestation when I brought it inside from outdoors. I eradicated it with Avid and Bifenthrin. Every plant in the greenhouse was sprayed multiple times and it was a growth setback.

cincinnana 01-20-2018 08:04 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aruzinsky (Post 312525)
My Ensete Lasiocarpum in greenhouse with supplementary 5 watt LED spotlight. The LED is off only during bright daylight. The plant gets light 24/7.


Although difficult to see, each new leaf is slightly larger than the one that preceded it. Currently, this is my only banana plant that has made that progress. However, this Winter has been unusually sunny. I should add that the atmosphere is CO2 enriched from ventless natural gas heaters. Also, this was the only banana plant that had a bad mite infestation when I brought it inside from outdoors. I eradicated it with Avid and Bifenthrin. Every plant in the greenhouse was sprayed multiple times and it was a growth setback.


I am glad mine looks almost as good as yours .lol almost

cincinnana 01-20-2018 08:08 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by subsonicdrone (Post 312416)
here is what mine looks like right now
IMG_5869_zps7dd1ifhb.jpg Photo by subsonicdrone | Photobucket

it has shrunk since its peak in the fall...

Your plant is a lot more mature than mine.

Awesome job growing it.

Me....I have a few years yet.:08:

subsonicdrone 01-20-2018 09:06 PM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
here it is, not last summer but the one before
last summer it did not grow quite as vigorous but still got almost as big
could be partly because the summer before it got re potted whereas this past summer it did not
but also two summers ago was a better year for the whole garden
IMG_0866_zpslhrtmghp.jpg Photo by subsonicdrone | Photobucket

subsonicdrone 04-07-2018 07:32 AM

Re: Resilient little lasiocarpas.
 
IMG_7178_zpsxgiksnhu.jpg Photo by subsonicdrone | Photobucket
pic taken last weekend
base has shrivelled but the new growth is progressing


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.