Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Container Grown Banana Plants (http://www.bananas.org/f311/)
-   -   Too late to repot? (http://www.bananas.org/f311/too-late-repot-47686.html)

SixtySix 10-02-2017 01:43 PM

Too late to repot?
 
I have a Dwarf Cavendish (?) that I neglected to put in a large enough container this summer. Currently about 2 feet tall in a 3 gallon pot. Have been watering and feeding all summer, just never had an appropriate container. Now I'm a couple weeks away from having to bring it inside and I'm hoping to keep it growing. Should I repot?

edwmax 10-02-2017 03:42 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
IMO ... I think it is Ok for the winter in the 3 gal. pot. The plant will go near dormant with minimal growth inside unless you keep the room temp at upper 80s & low 90s. Repot next spring or put it in the ground.

Island Brah 10-03-2017 01:26 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
No, not too late for 8a. Even if it was, it would be fine since you're bringing it inside.

If its root bound, or close to it, lightly hit the sides of the pot with the bottom section of your palm, turn the plant in the pot upside down while holding your hand over the pstem base/soil so the plant doesn't fall out onto the ground, carefully slide the pot off the root ball (root ball will be in the shape of the 3 gal pot), and put it in a larger pot with more potting soil mix. You wont mess up one root and will have zero transplant stress.

I prefer no larger than a 5 gallon pot if you're expecting to plant it in the ground next spring. When I plant from pots in the spring, there is zero stress or stall in growth because the root ball is in the perfect shape of the 5 gallon pot. Any larger than a 5 gallon would be messy and could cause root damage when you plant into the ground, if that's your plan :)

edwmax 10-03-2017 06:58 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
I do agree with Island Brah ... it's not too late to repot. Just do not disturb the root ball any more than necessary. .... As per my post above, I don't think repotting is necessary; ...So repotting is your call.

cincinnana 10-03-2017 07:21 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Pushing it .....

My repot date for the winter is September/ August .

My plants will have 60 days to possibly start some root....does it always work ....No.:(


Repot a three foot plant.....in a 3gal... to a larger container....NO.

Your plant will always do better in the smaller container over the winter.

Wait till spring to move your plant to a larger container.

Sorry previous posters...... From expierience I do not agree with you.

I hope we are still BRahs....

beam2050 10-04-2017 12:19 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincinnana (Post 310007)
Pushing it .......No....NO.

Sorry previous posters.....

wish I would have posted something anything, anything. I remember once I should have said something anything, anything. oh the sorrow. and now I am revisited by the ghosts of my past, oh the remorse. the total tranquility I have been given use to is now irrevocably shattered........... one day I will recover one day oh please one day. and in my woe I reach out to touch something..... but there is nothing there to touch..... in my inaction I can not again go back. alas I have to think i am doomed to my fate. :rolleyes:...............:rollerbananadone:

actually I was thinking the same thing, almost. repot it now. thank you big banananer for your mega experience.

edwmax 10-04-2017 07:26 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beam2050 (Post 310012)
...
think i am doomed to my fate. :rolleyes:...............:rollerbananadone:

...

Careful, your Nanner might get run-over. ... haha

edwmax 10-04-2017 07:50 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincinnana (Post 310007)
Pushing it .....

....

Sorry previous posters...... From expierience I do not agree with you.

I hope we are still BRahs....

As I stated in my first post, a potted nana being over wintered 'inside' the house will likely go dormant or show very little growth in room temperatures of 65 deg to70's. Repotting is usually not necessary. ... To repot a small 2 ft root bound plant, it will not know that it has been repotted nor will it know that it is winter outside. ... The only advantage i see, is the plant may start expanding it roots sooner next spring when temps are much warmer. ... Just be careful not to distribute or damage the root ball.

cincinnana 10-21-2017 08:51 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SixtySix (Post 309983)
I have a Dwarf Cavendish (?) that I neglected to put in a large enough container this summer. Currently about 2 feet tall in a 3 gallon pot. Have been watering and feeding all summer, just never had an appropriate container. Now I'm a couple weeks away from having to bring it inside and I'm hoping to keep it growing. Should I repot?

So what did you do??:08:

cincinnana 11-07-2017 07:32 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
I did have one busting the container....

Had no choice but to cut and repot..or the container would have split

I wish it had happened in August though.

Not worth the risk...




Dwarf red

by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

cincinnana 01-09-2018 09:57 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincinnana (Post 310847)
I did have one busting the container....

Had no choice but to cut and repot..or the container would have split

I wish it had happened in August though.

Not worth the risk...




Dwarf red

by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

The plant is still a sword ....with no leaves.
Original post was from october

Still not worth the risk.....
The Dwarf Red sword sucker was at 58-65 degrees with a front row seat to a southern walkout exposure since mid Oct.


Here is mine...Today, I moved this plant to a continous 71-78 f. with some supplemental cfl lighting
The plant is next to some ferns and some Mekong pups and colocasia and succulents.

My hydroponic Dc is in the same area.....Living large.

The heat should cause the plant to push a leaf or two in about 30-48 days.........I hope.
.


Dwarf red...
by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

Mark Anthony Phair 01-26-2018 11:14 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SixtySix (Post 309983)
I have a Dwarf Cavendish (?) that I neglected to put in a large enough container this summer. Currently about 2 feet tall in a 3 gallon pot. Have been watering and feeding all summer, just never had an appropriate container. Now I'm a couple weeks away from having to bring it inside and I'm hoping to keep it growing. Should I repot?

I personally would not repot just before the plant is going into the winter season, and the additional shock could be damaging, though NOT fatal.
Keep them on the dry side and clean up all ugly leaves

I store corms with the pseudo stems cut back to about 1/3 of the present size and place them in a coolish, dry room with little to no light. This forces dormancy. Any watering during this time is not a good idea as mold and fungus will thrive with that little bit of watering during dormancy.
Treat you banana corms as perennial bulbs ---dry--- and cool in a dark place until ready to plant.
Best of Luck!

Gone Bananas!
Mark Anthony Phair

cincinnana 03-03-2018 07:38 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincinnana (Post 312397)
The plant is still a sword ....with no leaves.
Original post was from october

Still not worth the risk.....
The Dwarf Red sword sucker was at 58-65 degrees with a front row seat to a southern walkout exposure since mid Oct.


Here is mine...Today, I moved this plant to a continous 71-78 f. with some supplemental cfl lighting
The plant is next to some ferns and some Mekong pups and colocasia and succulents.

My hydroponic Dc is in the same area.....Living large.

The heat should cause the plant to push a leaf or two in about 30-48 days.........I hope.
.


Dwarf red...
by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

Update ...

For me this is an absolute bonus.

After moving this plant to a warmer grow area with cfl lights(nothing special)...it has decided to pop a few leaves after 120 days-+ .

Plant is a Dwarf red Brazillian planted in a small container and the soilless mix is an Al's gritty mix recipe with charcoal.

The mix was salted with Espoma Tomato tone and watered very sparingly.

Nothing ventured nothing gained..........I should have said that at the beginning....

But I also have a lot of failures too.


Dwarf red.....
by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr

Tytaylor77 03-03-2018 10:05 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Man what a beautiful pup! That right there confirms that you are the container expert! An overwintered pup in OH should not look that good! Truly amazing! And it’s a dwarf red at that! A very cold sensitive AAA type.

Thanks for the update! You continue to inspire growers everywhere!

mushtaq86 03-04-2018 05:07 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincinnana (Post 313436)
Update ...

For me this is an absolute bonus.

After moving this plant to a warmer grow area with cfl lights(nothing special)...it has decided to pop a few leaves after 120 days-+ .

Plant is a Dwarf red Brazillian planted in a small container and the soilless mix is an Al's gritty mix recipe with charcoal.

The mix was salted with Espoma Tomato tone and watered very sparingly.

Nothing ventured nothing gained..........I should have said that at the beginning....

But I also have a lot of failures too.


Dwarf red brazillian pup
by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr


Hi Cin

What are the night and day temperatures you have given dwarf red to see regrowth. Interesting to see how much it deteriorated before new growth.

Do you think it was the grow lights or temperatures that have kick started it.

HMelendez 03-04-2018 05:11 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Wooohooo!......Awesome job Mike!.......




Cincinnana rockin' the house!.....:08:






:2723::bananarow::2723:

mushtaq86 03-04-2018 05:17 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 (Post 313445)
Man what a beautiful pup! That right there confirms that you are the container expert! An overwintered pup in OH should not look that good! Truly amazing! And it’s a dwarf red at that! A very cold sensitive AAA type.

Thanks for the update! You continue to inspire growers everywhere!

Hi Ty

In one of your posts, cant remember which thread it was, you mentioned that you lose dwarf reds to the ground every winter.I am interested if the p-stems are cut back or do you lose the whole p-stem.

From deterioration to regrowth for dwarf red in your area, would it be December to March.

cincinnana 03-04-2018 08:21 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushtaq86 (Post 313457)
Hi Cin

What are the night and day temperatures you have given dwarf red to see regrowth. Interesting to see how much it deteriorated before new growth.

Do you think it was the grow lights or temperatures that have kick started it.

Hi Mush
Thanks for asking ....photos are kinda before and after and middle.
This is a pup from the plant you had commented a few years back

Pup was in a basement in front of a south facing window temp was 55-65
and whatever light it could get from the low horizon sun.
Windows did ice up with the sub zero outdoor temps we had for a few weeks.

Plant did not do much on top...but those roots were probably going nuts in the soilless mix.



Now

Constant temps 70+ degrees up to 81 in the grow area.
Change in temperature did it for this plant.
I think the lights helped once the leaves pushed .

I must mention the new leaves were in the pstem but had not pushed yet until the temperature had changed.
Pstem was dried and tight......averted a choke possibly.
So it was a matter of time before the leaves pushed....I think

The plant (parent) for me so far is a beast, grows well and has great thick leaves.
Parent plant is in a 18 gal container under cfl's and is Hangry.

The plant has a big footprint and the foliage is awesome.....no flowers yet.

cincinnana 03-04-2018 08:39 AM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 (Post 313445)
Man what a beautiful pup! That right there confirms that you are the container expert! An overwintered pup in OH should not look that good! Truly amazing! And itís a dwarf red at that! A very cold sensitive AAA type.

Thanks for the update! You continue to inspire growers everywhere!

Thanks Ty

These cold sensitive plants amaze me too. They seem to be great fast responding plants given the right growing conditions.
This pup I had doughts on the moment I separated it so late in the season.

I had separated some easier plants late in the season a few years back and was not as lucky.:(

Tytaylor77 03-04-2018 01:06 PM

Re: Too late to repot?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushtaq86 (Post 313459)
Hi Ty

In one of your posts, cant remember which thread it was, you mentioned that you lose dwarf reds to the ground every winter.I am interested if if the p-stems are cut back or do you lose the whole p-stem.

From deterioration to regrowth for dwarf red in your area, would it be December to March.

They do! Every year the entire pstem dies back to the corm and the growth point usually rots with the pstem. But pups always come back. Right now I have dwarf red pups up! They actually come up before Veinte Cohol and a few others. They regrow all year until winter and reach full size each year. I never focus on fruiting them or protecting them since I can easily buy the fruit in town.

But to answer the question. No. I donít cut or trim or anything. I leave them as they are. After winter is over I cut the pstem a couple feet above the soil, just to see if it pushes. Never does. Always sends pups.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.