Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Banana Plant Health And Maintenance Topics
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banana Plant Health And Maintenance Topics This forum is for discussions of banana plant health topics such as coloration issues, burning, insects, pruning, transplanting, separating pups, viruses, disease, and other general banana plant health and maintenance issues.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
<div style="font-weight: bold;"></div>
 
quendor91's Avatar
 
Location: Central Illinois
Zone: 6 other sites say 5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 126
BananaBucks : 57,471
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 207 Times
Was Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Exclamation S.o.s

I have recently moved my DC downstairs from outside. It is now infested with spidermites. What are some remedies?
quendor91 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To quendor91
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Yo BananaHead
 
Abnshrek's Avatar
 
Location: Haughton, LA
Zone: 8b, but 9b weather..
Name: Migael / Michael
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,470
BananaBucks : 73,674
Feedback: 45 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 10,361 Times
Was Thanked 16,225 Times in 5,164 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,268 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Water, soap, & neem oil.. I believe a member likes using suave Coconut shampoo so he kills them while providing a fresh fruity smell.. :^)
__________________
Click for Haughton, Louisiana Forecast

I'm a Nannerhead :^)
Abnshrek is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Abnshrek
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Location: Vista, CA
Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,180
BananaBucks : 835
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,276 Times
Was Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,302 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,667 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

I would use this product:

Green Light« Fruit Tree Spray
__________________


8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
<div style="font-weight: bold;"></div>
 
quendor91's Avatar
 
Location: Central Illinois
Zone: 6 other sites say 5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 126
BananaBucks : 57,471
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 207 Times
Was Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

I used some soap and it doesn't seem to be working. I used 1/4 of a spray bottle of dish soap and the other 3 parts water. I hear that isopropyl alcohol mixed with water could work. I don't want to use pesticides if I don't have to.
quendor91 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To quendor91
Said thanks:
Old 10-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
sunfish's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Zone: 9-11
Name: Tony
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 18,426
BananaBucks : 1,346
Feedback: 8 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,209 Times
Was Thanked 20,105 Times in 7,712 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,716 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

You will probably need to spray once a week forever
__________________
,Thanks
sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunfish
Said thanks:
Sponsors

Old 10-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
<div style="font-weight: bold;"></div>
 
quendor91's Avatar
 
Location: Central Illinois
Zone: 6 other sites say 5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 126
BananaBucks : 57,471
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 207 Times
Was Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfish View Post
You will probably need to spray once a week forever
Well I think I'm going to lessen the concentration of the soap I used. I observed some pretty bad foliar burn on all the leaves and pseudo stem. I checked the ingredients on the bottle and it said it contained surfactants. Is that bad for plants? I also sprayed some peppers and some of leaves fell off as well.
quendor91 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To quendor91
Said thanks:
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Relaxin Under the Nanners
 
Hammocked Banana's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON and Peterborough, ON
Zone: 6a and 5a respectively
Name: Brady
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 957
BananaBucks : 33,613
Feedback: 2 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,170 Times
Was Thanked 1,151 Times in 552 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 30 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Would like to give this a try, soap never seems to be enough. Does anyone know a good place to order this from in Canada? Having a hard time finding somewhere, only Amazon but I have to pay more for shipping than the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I would use this product:

Green Light« Fruit Tree Spray
Hammocked Banana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Hammocked Banana
Said thanks:
Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired.
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Location: Vista, CA
Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,180
BananaBucks : 835
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,276 Times
Was Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,302 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,667 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocked Banana View Post
Would like to give this a try, soap never seems to be enough. Does anyone know a good place to order this from in Canada? Having a hard time finding somewhere, only Amazon but I have to pay more for shipping than the product.
Instead of comparing the price of shipping to the price of the product, how about comparing the price of product + shipping to the price of the product in a local store?
__________________


8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks:
Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
ez
 
ez's Avatar
 
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
Zone: 10b
Name: Ed
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,175
BananaBucks : 41,857
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 2,529 Times
Was Thanked 2,798 Times in 421 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 321 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quendor91 View Post
Well I think I'm going to lessen the concentration of the soap I used. I observed some pretty bad foliar burn on all the leaves and pseudo stem. I checked the ingredients on the bottle and it said it contained surfactants. Is that bad for plants? I also sprayed some peppers and some of leaves fell off as well.
Using Surfactants, Wetting Agents, and Adjuvants in the Greenhouse
ez is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ez
Said thanks:
Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Relaxin Under the Nanners
 
Hammocked Banana's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON and Peterborough, ON
Zone: 6a and 5a respectively
Name: Brady
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 957
BananaBucks : 33,613
Feedback: 2 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,170 Times
Was Thanked 1,151 Times in 552 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 30 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Instead of comparing the price of shipping to the price of the product, how about comparing the price of product + shipping to the price of the product in a local store?
Yes I've seen you repping this product before so I've been keeping my open for it, but haven't found it locally (no surprise there). I have another spray which is ready-to-use with 0.02% pyrethrins and 0.2% piperonyl butoxide. Would u recommend something with a higher concentration of pyrenthrins or should this work ok? Have u experienced any plants that have had an issue with these compounds? I initially bought it to spray my avocado but it seems like it ended up poisoning it so I haven't used it on anything I care about since.
Hammocked Banana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Hammocked Banana
Said thanks:
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
<div style="font-weight: bold;"></div>
 
quendor91's Avatar
 
Location: Central Illinois
Zone: 6 other sites say 5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 126
BananaBucks : 57,471
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 207 Times
Was Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Thank you very much for that link. It was very informative.
quendor91 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To quendor91
Said thanks:
Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
cannasrus's Avatar
 
Location: southwestern Indiana zone 6
Zone: zone 6
Name: Buddy T
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 88
BananaBucks : 11,009
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 596 Times
Was Thanked 78 Times in 37 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 43 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

How about seven? I dont know ? but I used it in the spring for a couple weeks
and it killed off all pests. Naners took off and did great.
__________________
A regular ride is better than a dressed up walk.
cannasrus is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cannasrus
Said thanks:
Old 10-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: moscow idaho
Zone: 6 - 7
Name: banna
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 124
BananaBucks : 21,660
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 81 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 18 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

if you really need to get rid of them use neem oil! its not just a remedy it also defense your banana threw other insect and larva type insects in your soil that can damage your root system and it all keeps them warmer because its a natural oil so they soak up rays like their in a tanning bed it does have a smelly odor but get use to it your not just a gardener your a doctor!
dana mastro is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To dana mastro
Said thanks:
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired.
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Location: Vista, CA
Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,180
BananaBucks : 835
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,276 Times
Was Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,302 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,667 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana mastro View Post
if you really need to get rid of them use neem oil! its not just a remedy it also defense your banana threw other insect and larva type insects in your soil that can damage your root system and it all keeps them warmer because its a natural oil so they soak up rays like their in a tanning bed it does have a smelly odor but get use to it your not just a gardener your a doctor!
Neem oil is a surfactant. It is not a substitute for pesticide.
__________________


8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks:
Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Relaxin Under the Nanners
 
Hammocked Banana's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON and Peterborough, ON
Zone: 6a and 5a respectively
Name: Brady
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 957
BananaBucks : 33,613
Feedback: 2 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,170 Times
Was Thanked 1,151 Times in 552 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 30 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

So I ended up using an alternative from the 'Safer's' brand:

Safer's End-All II from TreeHelp

I sprayed every inch of every plant I own (that comes inside), took much longer than expected. No adverse effects that I can see yet 4 days later and no sign of mites, but I'm not convinced yet (these little bastards always seem to come back out of no where). My question is should I spray again? The spray says it kills eggs but again, I'm not very convinced with these mites. If I need to spray again, I'll need to do it in the next day or 2 based on a mites life cycle.

Should I spray again or not?
Hammocked Banana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Hammocked Banana
Said thanks:
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hobby obsessor maximus
 
Location: Oklahoma
Zone: zone 7
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,092
BananaBucks : 170,774
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,267 Times in 610 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

I used this stuff recently to kill mites that were on some elephant ears that came from ebay, it took a couple of applications but seemed to do the trick. I would be careful with it though, I applied it to one of the 3 plants I have in high temperatures and it caused a little leaf damage, not severe but I notice. I would not spray it on a hot day. I was a bit skeptical at first as its a 3 in one product, fungicide, insecticide, mite killer, but it specifically mentioned mites on the label.

Garden Safe® Brand Fungicide3® Ready-to-Use | Garden Safe
__________________

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!


Click for weather forecast

Last edited by siege2050 : 10-23-2013 at 10:22 PM.
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hobby obsessor maximus
 
Location: Oklahoma
Zone: zone 7
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,092
BananaBucks : 170,774
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,267 Times in 610 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocked Banana View Post
So I ended up using an alternative from the 'Safer's' brand:

Safer's End-All II from TreeHelp

I sprayed every inch of every plant I own (that comes inside), took much longer than expected. No adverse effects that I can see yet 4 days later and no sign of mites, but I'm not convinced yet (these little bastards always seem to come back out of no where). My question is should I spray again? The spray says it kills eggs but again, I'm not very convinced with these mites. If I need to spray again, I'll need to do it in the next day or 2 based on a mites life cycle.

Should I spray again or not?
I would spray it once again when it says its safe to repeat on the label, there are probably eggs that were protected by overlaping leaves and such. Get em when they first hatch, thats what I had to do.
__________________

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!


Click for weather forecast
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired.
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Location: Vista, CA
Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,180
BananaBucks : 835
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,276 Times
Was Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,302 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,667 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege2050 View Post
I used this stuff recently to kill mites that were on some elephant ears that came from ebay, it took a couple of applications but seemed to do the trick. I would be careful with it though, I applied it to one of the 3 plants I have in high temperatures and it caused a little leaf damage, not severe but I notice. I would not spray it on a hot day. I was a bit skeptical at first as its a 3 in one product, fungicide, insecticide, mite killer, but it specifically mentioned mites on the label.

Garden Safe® Brand Fungicide3® Ready-to-Use | Garden Safe
The "active" ingredient is Neem Oil, which is a surfactant and not a pesticide. It will entangle juveniles and suffocate some of them, but it is not an effective control of breeding.

This is a far better product for consumers:
Green Light« Fruit Tree Spray
__________________


8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks:
Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hobby obsessor maximus
 
Location: Oklahoma
Zone: zone 7
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,092
BananaBucks : 170,774
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,267 Times in 610 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The "active" ingredient is Neem Oil, which is a surfactant and not a pesticide. It will entangle juveniles and suffocate some of them, but it is not an effective control of breeding.

This is a far better product for consumers:
Green Light« Fruit Tree Spray
I got the safe garden stuff because its supposed to be safe on houseplants, I have my bananas inside right now. I used some stuff last year not meant for indoor use that gave me a severe headache and made me sick when I brought the plants in at first.
__________________

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!


Click for weather forecast
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks:
Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired.
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Location: Vista, CA
Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,180
BananaBucks : 835
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,276 Times
Was Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,302 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,667 Times
Default Re: S.o.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege2050 View Post
I got the safe garden stuff because its supposed to be safe on houseplants, I have my bananas inside right now. I used some stuff last year not meant for indoor use that gave me a severe headache and made me sick when I brought the plants in at first.
Green Light Fruit Tree Spray contains:
Pyrethrin - an extract from African Chrysanthemums
Piperynol Butoxide - a distillate from Sassafras
Neem Oil - as a surfactant.

I've sold over 40 cases of the product to people here on the San Diego coast and never had a complaint.
__________________


8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks:
Sponsors

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.