Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Banana Plant Health And Maintenance Topics (http://www.bananas.org/f310/)
-   -   Dwarf canvendish not growing? (http://www.bananas.org/f310/dwarf-canvendish-not-growing-49363.html)

AFWS 06-12-2019 02:25 PM

[Updated] Dwarf cavendish not growing?
 
Any idea why my dwarf canvendish is so small? My grandma bought two and gave me one. Mine is on the left. When she got them they were the same size. Even two more that she got like 3 weeks after is between those two. She said she hasnít given them any fertilizer, just keeping it watered good. I gave mine 8-10-8 fertilizer last week to see if that would help any. One thing I did notice is roots starting to come through the pot.



beam2050 06-12-2019 03:50 PM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
over watering. water once a week ill it gets much bigger. the pot have drain holes, gotta have drain holes.?

AFWS 06-12-2019 04:03 PM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beam2050 (Post 324299)
over watering. water once a week ill it gets much bigger. the pot have drain holes, gotta have drain holes.?

Yeah, the pot has 4 drain holes. I only water every 7-10 days.

beam2050 06-12-2019 04:24 PM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWS (Post 324300)
Yeah, the pot has 4 drain holes. I only water every 7-10 days.

well good. when you said she watered it good I figured you were doing it like most people do, drown it with love.

well its got roots growing out the bottom so give it patience.

edwmax 06-12-2019 07:05 PM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Looks like your plant is a little too deep in the pot. Banana plants are shallow rooted so air can get to the roots. Soil should not be higher than the base of the stalk and neck of the corm. ... Remove 1 to 1 1/2 inches of soil from the pot and loosen the soil.



I think you may be over watering since the plant is not taking up much. Let the bottom of the pot dry out before giving more water. Use a long stem moisture meter to check the soil moisture deep in the pot and though the drain holes.


I don't know what your humidity is, but misting the plant usually helps a lot. The plant take its water needs though the leaves until the roots can. ...

the lower leaf on the left is folded down and the plant is pale compared to the one on the right. Indicating poor sap flow or lack of water which can be cause by over watering (root rot), too much nitrogen fertilizer (burned roots), too much hot sun, or transplant shock.

AFWS 06-13-2019 05:31 AM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwmax (Post 324305)
Looks like your plant is a little too deep in the pot. Banana plants are shallow rooted so air can get to the roots. Soil should not be higher than the base of the stalk and neck of the corm. ... Remove 1 to 1 1/2 inches of soil from the pot and loosen the soil.



I think you may be over watering since the plant is not taking up much. Let the bottom of the pot dry out before giving more water. Use a long stem moisture meter to check the soil moisture deep in the pot and though the drain holes.


I don't know what your humidity is, but misting the plant usually helps a lot. The plant take its water needs though the leaves until the roots can. ...

the lower leaf on the left is folded down and the plant is pale compared to the one on the right. Indicating poor sap flow or lack of water which can be cause by over watering (root rot), too much nitrogen fertilizer (burned roots), too much hot sun, or transplant shock.

If you think I’m over watering I’ll really cut back. You think color could be from to much sun? I have it on concrete patio and it gets sun most of the day. Hers doesn’t get near the amount of sun mine does. Also, should I repot it since the roots is coming out of the bottom. I was gonna plant it in the ground ,but thinking about just keeping it in a pot. What size pot should this be in? The current pot is 7” tall x 10” wide

edwmax 06-13-2019 07:37 AM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Get and use a long stem moisture meter. Check the moisture deep in the pot and at the bottom though the drain holes. Bananas in a container needs very fast draining potting mix with 50% to 75% perlite. Bananas need FRESH water and don't like stale pot water.



I don't know your location and grow zone (it's not posted as part of your profile). So I don't know about your current air temps. Here in the Southeast we've just went though a heat wave and the radian heat from the sun was brutal to my banana plants while the air temps were in the low/mid 90s. ... In your situation, the air temp, reflected heat from the hot concrete, & sun radiant heat very well could have stop your plant from growing.



Banana plants need afternoon shade from the hot sun and young plants should be shaded all day but with bright indirect sun light. ... Just look at your Grandmother's plant. This is a good clue as to whats happened.



Repotting??? ... This would be good chance to inspect the corm & roots for root rot. Trim any Black roots off and any black soft spots from the corm. Treat the corm and roots with bleach water (2/3cup bleach/gal water) to kill the rot. Just let the corm sit in the bleach water for 3 or 4 min and the rinse of well. Let dry before potting. Use a 14 to 16 inch pot. ... The plant may take a couple of weeks before you see any new growth; then again you could see new growth within a day or two ...???...


Read some of the other recent post on the forum about problem banana plants for more info.

AFWS 08-13-2019 05:21 PM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Thought I’d post a update. Repotted in the 50% / 50% mix and it seemed to take off. I think it’s soon gonna outgrow this pot.


sevenlilies 08-15-2019 07:25 AM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
I just wanted to say - HOLY COW! If I hadn't just repotted my plants in treating root rot, I'd go for this 50/50 mix too... next growing season, for sure!

JonnyTorch 09-04-2019 06:47 PM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWS (Post 325795)
Thought Iíd post a update. Repotted in the 50% / 50% mix and it seemed to take off. I think itís soon gonna outgrow this pot.


Your original post was in June and this is in August, it shot off that quickly?

-maybe that's the issue with mine.

Thanks!

AFWS 09-14-2019 05:16 AM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyTorch (Post 326424)
Your original post was in June and this is in August, it shot off that quickly?

-maybe that's the issue with mine.

Thanks!

Yep, just repotted in the mix and gave it a capful of osmocote plus.

edwmax 09-14-2019 10:16 AM

Re: Dwarf canvendish not growing?
 
Thanks for your update. You verified most of my instructions & post above. The 50/50 mix increased air to the roots and increased water drainage of the pot. ... How much shade and sun protection did you provide after repotting?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.