Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Tissue Culturing & Other Propagation Techniques of Banana Plants (http://www.bananas.org/f260/)
-   -   Off-ish topic, Seed sprouting, Weird gemmick or helpful product ? (http://www.bananas.org/f260/off-ish-topic-seed-sprouting-weird-51991.html)

amiart 04-07-2021 09:39 AM

Off-ish topic, Seed sprouting, Weird gemmick or helpful product ?
 
https://proteaseeds.com/protea/germinating-protea-seed

Dr. Neville Brown has now developed "instant smoke" for growers who want to germinate the dormant seeds of wildflowers. In this invention absorbent paper is impregnated with fynbos-smoke-saturated water. The paper is dried and sealed in a polythene packet. When dormant seeds need "smoking", you add some water to the paper in a suitable container and soak the seeds you want "smoke-primed" in the smoke-water solution for 24 hours. In order to have the maximum effect in breaking seed dormancy, a range of natural germination stimulators has been added to the smoke solution to overcome other forms of seed dormancy found in many species such as the Strelitzia.

cincinnana 04-07-2021 02:20 PM

Re: Off-ish topic, Seed sprouting, Weird gemmick or helpful product ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amiart (Post 339756)
https://proteaseeds.com/protea/germinating-protea-seed

Dr. Neville Brown has now developed "instant smoke" for growers who want to germinate the dormant seeds of wildflowers. In this invention absorbent paper is impregnated with fynbos-smoke-saturated water. The paper is dried and sealed in a polythene packet. When dormant seeds need "smoking", you add some water to the paper in a suitable container and soak the seeds you want "smoke-primed" in the smoke-water solution for 24 hours. In order to have the maximum effect in breaking seed dormancy, a range of natural germination stimulators has been added to the smoke solution to overcome other forms of seed dormancy found in many species such as the Strelitzia.

Very accurate....and it works.

There are a few ways to do it economically with store purchased Liquid Smoke.

If you do an internet search keywords "liquid smoke seed germination" one will find some good takeaways.
Works well when making beef jerky too:)
.
Liquid smoke

amiart 04-07-2021 03:59 PM

Re: Off-ish topic, Seed sprouting, Weird gemmick or helpful product ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincinnana (Post 339757)
Very accurate....and it works.

There are a few ways to do it economically with store purchased Liquid Smoke.

If you do an internet search keywords "liquid smoke seed germination" one will find some good takeaways.
Works well when making beef jerky too:)
.
Liquid smoke

Super bizarre, had it been a few days earlier in the month would definitely have thought this was an april fools prank. so weird.

Is this recommended on any of the banana varieties that can be grown from seed ?

cincinnana 04-07-2021 06:30 PM

Re: Off-ish topic, Seed sprouting, Weird gemmick or helpful product ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amiart (Post 339760)
Super bizarre, had it been a few days earlier in the month would definitely have thought this was an april fools prank. so weird.

Is this recommended on any of the banana varieties that can be grown from seed ?

I know ....Crazy!!

My guess this method works with all slash and burn situations.
Locally some plant Cohorts do this with various seeds... but not me....but it does work.

I did not use this for musa germination...but for a 2.00 purchase it would be a great experiment to try..

aruzinsky 04-08-2021 04:02 PM

Re: Off-ish topic, Seed sprouting, Weird gemmick or helpful product ?
 
"The degree of germination success varies with the species, but on average, treated seeds give at least twice the number of seedlings that untreated seeds do."

Average of what? According to them, if untreated seeds give 90% germination, treated seeds give at least 180% germination. Wouldn't that be a miracle?

amiart 04-08-2021 08:13 PM

Re: Off-ish topic, Seed sprouting, Weird gemmick or helpful product ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aruzinsky (Post 339779)
"The degree of germination success varies with the species, but on average, treated seeds give at least twice the number of seedlings that untreated seeds do."

Average of what? According to them, if untreated seeds give 90% germination, treated seeds give at least 180% germination. Wouldn't that be a miracle?

I think the key phrase is "on average" determining factors would be what plants are they / were they testing and what is their normal germination rates
statistics and information can always be skewed on way or another. All we can do is hope for the best accuracy expected.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.