Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Banana Plants Wanted
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banana Plants Wanted This is the forum where you may post about the types of banana plants you're looking to obtain, and in what quantities. Feel free to post a general "wish list" type thread where you list all the types of bananas that you're currently looking for, and continuously update it for best results.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Location: Marietta, GA
Zone: 7b / 8a
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 59
BananaBucks : 5,166
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 48 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 30 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

Looking for new cold tolerant bananas to try this year....specifically interested in tall Orinoco and tall or dwarf namwah. I'd like larger plants if possible. I don't have any to trade right now, so I'll be happy to pay. Message me with what you have/how much. Thanks!!!


Currently growing: dwarf Orinoco, blue Java, lady finger, manzano, lasiocarpa, velutina, raja puri, Viente cohol, California gold, dwarf Brazilian.
Grannycore is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Grannycore

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Location: Inverness, Florida
Zone: 9a
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 875
BananaBucks : 43,445
Feedback: 4 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 1,422 Times in 622 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

I have some orinoco pups. I'll pm you my email if you want. I have some other cold tolerant but not sure what it is. Like orinoco but gets larger and has nice taste.
Botanical_Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Botanical_Bryce
Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 169
BananaBucks : 10,828
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 162 Times
Was Thanked 196 Times in 105 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannycore View Post
Looking for new cold tolerant bananas to try this year....specifically interested in tall Orinoco and tall or dwarf namwah. I'd like larger plants if possible. I don't have any to trade right now, so I'll be happy to pay. Message me with what you have/how much. Thanks!!!


Currently growing: dwarf Orinoco, blue Java, lady finger, manzano, lasiocarpa, velutina, raja puri, Viente cohol, California gold, dwarf Brazilian.
I'm amazed you can pull those off in your climate!
Looking at your winter lows, it can get scary cold
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
Location: Marietta, GA
Zone: 7b / 8a
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 59
BananaBucks : 5,166
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 48 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 30 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37.667910 View Post
I'm amazed you can pull those off in your climate!
Looking at your winter lows, it can get scary cold
Well, we will see. This is the first winter I'm pulling them through, so I won't know for sure until I see new leaves in April. Some of them have been brought indoors, some of them are in cool storage in the garage, and some got wrapped under layers of plastic and insulation outside. I'm experimenting to see what works. So far everything is alive...I'm learning a lot. For example, blue Java has held up excellently in the garage; Viente cohol has not. So I'll probably decide to pot it in September and treat it as a houseplant next winter. Of course any varieties that really don't hold up will be abandoned. I'm pretty determined, so I think at least a few will work out long term. It's kind of a long term action research project to figure out what I can pull off here. I probably won't see much if any fruit, but I like having the jungle in the summer and maybe I'll get a bloom some time.
Grannycore is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Grannycore
Said thanks:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,865
BananaBucks : 10,422
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,422 Times
Was Thanked 8,100 Times in 3,160 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,427 Times
Default Re: Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannycore View Post
Looking for new cold tolerant bananas to try this year....specifically interested in tall Orinoco and tall or dwarf namwah. I'd like larger plants if possible. I don't have any to trade right now, so I'll be happy to pay. Message me with what you have/how much. Thanks!!!


Currently growing: dwarf Orinoco, blue Java, lady finger, manzano, lasiocarpa, velutina, raja puri, Viente cohol, California gold, dwarf Brazilian.
I saw your post and wanted to share a photo I took of some dwarf plants for another member. Photo is from 2.7.2016
I pulled the plants out of the basement for the shot.

All plants are mature plants for my zone and will handle cooler temps of a basement or protected garage for the winter.
They will not handle cold temps... these are not cold hardy like a Basjoo.

Plants shown in Small Bordelons(not dwarf) rear, Truly Tiny in center. Little Prince on each side

Dwarfs for me are easy to manage/overwinter indoors and have a small footprint so you can tuck them in your landscape design. Great knee high visual interest.

Great puppers also.

I do not have any to share at the moment but I wanted to stress how easy they are to care for since you were looking.


The dwarfs

by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks:
Sponsors

Old 02-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Location: Marietta, GA
Zone: 7b / 8a
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 59
BananaBucks : 5,166
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 48 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 30 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

Thanks! May have found what I was looking for. I'll post more info/pics when I can determine my success or failures in match. I'm sure it'll be helpful to someone else growing in a similar zone.
Grannycore is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Grannycore
Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Location: Marietta, GA
Zone: 7b / 8a
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 59
BananaBucks : 5,166
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 48 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 30 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

Thanks for the share. These look great! I may have to try some. Luckily storage space isn't an issue, but unfortunately yard space is. I don't have enough yard for everything I want to try. Luckily we may be moving to south or central Florida in the next few years, so I'll have hopefully more yard and better temps for bananas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
I saw your post and wanted to share a photo I took of some dwarf plants for another member. Photo is from 2.7.2016
I pulled the plants out of the basement for the shot.

All plants are mature plants for my zone and will handle cooler temps of a basement or protected garage for the winter.
They will not handle cold temps... these are not cold hardy like a Basjoo.

Plants shown in Small Bordelons(not dwarf) rear, Truly Tiny in center. Little Prince on each side

Dwarfs for me are easy to manage/overwinter indoors and have a small footprint so you can tuck them in your landscape design. Great knee high visual interest.

Great puppers also.

I do not have any to share at the moment but I wanted to stress how easy they are to care for since you were looking.


The dwarfs

by
Hostafarian
,
on Flickr
Grannycore is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Grannycore
Old 02-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 169
BananaBucks : 10,828
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 162 Times
Was Thanked 196 Times in 105 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Looking for new Cold tolerant bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannycore View Post
Well, we will see. This is the first winter I'm pulling them through, so I won't know for sure until I see new leaves in April. Some of them have been brought indoors, some of them are in cool storage in the garage, and some got wrapped under layers of plastic and insulation outside. I'm experimenting to see what works. So far everything is alive...I'm learning a lot. For example, blue Java has held up excellently in the garage; Viente cohol has not. So I'll probably decide to pot it in September and treat it as a houseplant next winter. Of course any varieties that really don't hold up will be abandoned. I'm pretty determined, so I think at least a few will work out long term. It's kind of a long term action research project to figure out what I can pull off here. I probably won't see much if any fruit, but I like having the jungle in the summer and maybe I'll get a bloom some time.
Really cool!
I'll look forward to your results.
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page

Previous Thread: Coco gros Michel plant
Next Thread: Seeds Of bananas any kind





Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What bananas are most heat tolerant? Chironex Cold Hardy Bananas 24 10-23-2011 01:29 PM
Cold Tolerant Plantain ccamp Cold Hardy Bananas 9 03-26-2010 06:23 PM
Cold Hardy Bananas and coffee under bananas Benjo Member Introductions 14 02-27-2009 02:01 PM
Taller cold/heat/wind tolerant bananas in AZ lt_eggbeater Cold Hardy Bananas 10 08-26-2008 10:58 AM
Musa balbisiana seedlings for trade...cold tolerant?!! Tropicallvr Banana Plants For Sale & Auction 3 03-05-2006 05:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.