Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
BananaBucks : 676
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

I tried to search before posting this and couldn't find an answer so I hope you guys can help.

Is the yield in a dwarf Nam Wa equal to the yield in a tall Nam Wa? or any other variety for that matter.
james.world is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To james.world

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 240
BananaBucks : 8,599
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 122 Times
Was Thanked 291 Times in 158 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 17 Times
Default Re: Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

Let's wait for answers from people who know what they are talking about, but my backyard observation is that dwarf (Brazilian) out-yields the talls by a whopping double or something. I still prefer the talls for taste and how they ripen, but for bunch size and volume per space (and not to mention easier harvests) you just can't beat the dwarfs. This is if you have the dwarfs in their own beds, not if they have to compete with the talls for sun.
raygrogan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To raygrogan
Old 03-05-2019, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
BananaBucks : 676
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygrogan View Post
Let's wait for answers from people who know what they are talking about, but my backyard observation is that dwarf (Brazilian) out-yields the talls by a whopping double or something. I still prefer the talls for taste and how they ripen, but for bunch size and volume per space (and not to mention easier harvests) you just can't beat the dwarfs. This is if you have the dwarfs in their own beds, not if they have to compete with the talls for sun.
Well that is just fascinating, you would think it's the opposite for obvious reasons.

Quote:
I still prefer the talls for taste and how they ripen
Would you care to elaborate please, Do you mean they take longer to ripe thus the sugars have longer time to develop?
james.world is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To james.world
Old 03-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Muck bananas
 
Nicolas Naranja's Avatar
 
Location: Pahokee, FL
Zone: 10
Name: Nick
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,206
BananaBucks : 316,541
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 65 Times
Was Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,545 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nicolas Naranja
Default Re: Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

Yield, per plant, is equal for dwarf Nam Wah and regular Nam Wah. You can plant a lot more dwarf plants per acre, so in a commercial setting dwarf plants are preferred. However, I have noticed that tall plantains tend to produce longer, cleaner fruits. From a quality side, that is important. That being said, the dwarf varieties are just so much easier to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.world View Post
I tried to search before posting this and couldn't find an answer so I hope you guys can help.

Is the yield in a dwarf Nam Wa equal to the yield in a tall Nam Wa? or any other variety for that matter.
__________________
Some people go bananas, I went plantains.
Nicolas Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Nicolas Naranja
Said thanks:
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
BananaBucks : 676
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Naranja View Post
Yield, per plant, is equal for dwarf Nam Wah and regular Nam Wah. You can plant a lot more dwarf plants per acre, so in a commercial setting dwarf plants are preferred. However, I have noticed that tall plantains tend to produce longer, cleaner fruits. From a quality side, that is important. That being said, the dwarf varieties are just so much easier to manage.
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks Nicolas, that was very helpful.
james.world is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To james.world
Sponsors

Old 03-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Zone: Zone 9a
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 467
BananaBucks : 5,587
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 974 Times
Was Thanked 750 Times in 269 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 86 Times
Default Re: Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Naranja View Post
... That being said, the dwarf varieties are just so much easier to manage.
Oh, yeah!!!

I cut down and chopped up four big tall namwahs this past week on the same day and it was a job. I used a saw and a machete and I was exhausted after chopping those pstems up into mulch. I lift heavy in the gym three days a week but swinging the machete when you are not use to it gets tiring fast. It was more fun as kid. So having less stuff to saw, chop, and otherwise clean up is a big deal. Plus its much easier to put frost cloth on the dwarfs vs. tall ones if you are in Zone 9/8 and have to deal with winter frost/freezes.
Akula is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks:
Old 03-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Location: South Florida
Zone: 10a
Name: Aaron
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
BananaBucks : 1,718
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 14 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 15 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
Oh, yeah!!!

I cut down and chopped up four big tall namwahs this past week on the same day and it was a job. I used a saw and a machete and I was exhausted after chopping those pstems up into mulch. I lift heavy in the gym three days a week but swinging the machete when you are not use to it gets tiring fast. It was more fun as kid. So having less stuff to saw, chop, and otherwise clean up is a big deal. Plus its much easier to put frost cloth on the dwarfs vs. tall ones if you are in Zone 9/8 and have to deal with winter frost/freezes.
It might be worth investing in a chipper/shredder if you're chopping a lot of old P-stems (and other yard debris).
SoFloBanana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SoFloBanana
Said thanks:
Old 03-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 240
BananaBucks : 8,599
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 122 Times
Was Thanked 291 Times in 158 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 17 Times
Default Re: Yield in dwarf varieties vs tall ones

Ripening - dwarf Brazilian tend to go off all at once more often, meaning all the bananas in a bunch get ripe at the same time. Talls can do it too, but less often for me. I prefer a gradual ripening, giving the household a week or so to eat 'em up.
raygrogan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To raygrogan
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How did we get dwarf varieties? sputinc7 Main Banana Discussion 2 08-28-2016 12:58 PM
What are the Best Dwarf Varieties for Containers for the Midwest? Dwarf Gros Michel? SSP Container Grown Banana Plants 74 05-26-2015 05:58 AM
Hua Moa yield - Short but Fat bananimal Main Banana Discussion 23 08-13-2009 03:08 PM
dwarf or tall ? hammer Main Banana Discussion 7 07-22-2009 05:41 PM
How to tell red dwarf from tall red? conurecolor Banana Identification 22 06-03-2009 06:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.