Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
 
Location: Acworth, Ga
Zone: 8
Name: Zach
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 85
BananaBucks : 4,128
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 50 Times
Was Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeash View Post
No I got it from Larry. Ive seen winestains on several different varieties of young plants, including mysore. The only thing i ever bought from wellspring was a blue java aka namwah..
I gotcha. This is my second plant to fruit from wellspring. My first one was a Dwarf Pisang Awak. The VC is probably something different that was mislabeled. Maybe Raja Puri. Either way Fast Growing cycle is a plus. I think it was $15 bucks with free shipping. Lol
__________________
https://flic.kr/p/2mRCU9s
Zalin124 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Zalin124
Old 06-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
 
smeash's Avatar
 
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Zone: 9a
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 666
BananaBucks : 15,722
Feedback: 2 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 385 Times
Was Thanked 866 Times in 442 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 72 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalin124 View Post
I gotcha. This is my second plant to fruit from wellspring. My first one was a Dwarf Pisang Awak. The VC is probably something different that was mislabeled. Maybe Raja Puri. Either way Fast Growing cycle is a plus. I think it was $15 bucks with free shipping. Lol
You would be lucky if it were a raja puri.. great variety.
smeash is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To smeash
Said thanks:
Old 06-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
Zone: 8-B
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 892
BananaBucks : 30,721
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 296 Times
Was Thanked 1,265 Times in 540 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeash View Post
The only thing i ever bought from wellspring was a blue java aka namwah..
We call them Nam-Javas in the biz... 😀😃🙂🙃
wstrickland1 is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wstrickland1
Said thanks:
Old 06-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
 
Location: Acworth, Ga
Zone: 8
Name: Zach
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 85
BananaBucks : 4,128
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 50 Times
Was Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeash View Post
You would be lucky if it were a raja puri.. great variety.
I agree. Iíve read that RP taste great. Iíll keep yíall updated. Ty and I have the same kind and heís gonna help verify it for me.
__________________
https://flic.kr/p/2mRCU9s
Zalin124 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Zalin124
Old 06-20-2021, 12:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
 
Location: Acworth, Ga
Zone: 8
Name: Zach
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 85
BananaBucks : 4,128
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 50 Times
Was Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrickland1 View Post
We call them Nam-Javas in the biz... 😀😃🙂🙃
Lou is looking huge by the way! Whatís the pstem height?
__________________
https://flic.kr/p/2mRCU9s
Zalin124 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Zalin124
Said thanks:
Old 06-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
Zone: 8-B
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 892
BananaBucks : 30,721
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 296 Times
Was Thanked 1,265 Times in 540 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalin124 View Post
Lou is looking huge by the way! Whatís the pstem height?
Oh I'd say it's closing in on 8'. The problem is there's a pup closing in on 7' and another at 4' with a 3 footer and 2 swords kicker. I'm trying but not doing too many at once. It's pushed 2 leaves since I removed a couple last week so it hasn't slowed down a bit. I think I screwed around too long and the other big boy has got to stay.
wstrickland1 is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wstrickland1
Said thanks:
Old 06-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
Zone: 8-B
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 892
BananaBucks : 30,721
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 296 Times
Was Thanked 1,265 Times in 540 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Here are a couple of pups from Lou. On the right is one I cut late last summer. It lived inside from Thanksgiving until.the first of March. It's been pushing leaves very steady but seems to be dwarfed somewhat. The one on the left was cut a week and a half ago and as you can see it's already pushing a nice leaf. I cut one that big April 28, planted it in the ground and it started pushing leaves almost immediately, 7 so far. Freakish genetics.

I'm having a blast learning what these things do. I really appreciate the patience and assistance I have been afforded. Also my dad joke humor is somewhat tolerated.

wstrickland1 is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wstrickland1
Old 06-21-2021, 07:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
 
Location: Acworth, Ga
Zone: 8
Name: Zach
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 85
BananaBucks : 4,128
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 50 Times
Was Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrickland1 View Post
Oh I'd say it's closing in on 8'. The problem is there's a pup closing in on 7' and another at 4' with a 3 footer and 2 swords kicker. I'm trying but not doing too many at once. It's pushed 2 leaves since I removed a couple last week so it hasn't slowed down a bit. I think I screwed around too long and the other big boy has got to stay.
I gotcha. Well, it can be tough to keep them thinned out once they pup. They make great compost though. I let them grow 2-3 feet and split them if the mother is close to fruiting, or pop em and chop em. The pups grow fast attached to the mother.
__________________
https://flic.kr/p/2mRCU9s
Zalin124 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Zalin124
Old 06-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
Zone: 8-B
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 892
BananaBucks : 30,721
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 296 Times
Was Thanked 1,265 Times in 540 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor_X View Post
That pup definitely looks like it'll take off! It's a monster pup!

And that's awesome! I'm glad to hear the Orinoco is taking off too. I'd like to see some update pics!

Well on its way sir


wstrickland1 is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wstrickland1
Old 06-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
 
Location: Acworth, Ga
Zone: 8
Name: Zach
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 85
BananaBucks : 4,128
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 50 Times
Was Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrickland1 View Post
Here are a couple of pups from Lou. On the right is one I cut late last summer. It lived inside from Thanksgiving until.the first of March. It's been pushing leaves very steady but seems to be dwarfed somewhat. The one on the left was cut a week and a half ago and as you can see it's already pushing a nice leaf. I cut one that big April 28, planted it in the ground and it started pushing leaves almost immediately, 7 so far. Freakish genetics.

I'm having a blast learning what these things do. I really appreciate the patience and assistance I have been afforded. Also my dad joke humor is somewhat tolerated.

Very Nice! Pisang Awak pups so well and are hardy, Especially the dwarf version.
Gotta get it to fruit! Maybe youíll get a flower by the first of august. My DN flier came in the middle of august and I cut it a month short in November, but they were still great. Just 70 filled!
__________________
https://flic.kr/p/2mRCU9s
Zalin124 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Zalin124
Old 06-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
Zone: 8-B
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 892
BananaBucks : 30,721
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 296 Times
Was Thanked 1,265 Times in 540 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalin124 View Post
I gotcha. Well, it can be tough to keep them thinned out once they pup. They make great compost though. I let them grow 2-3 feet and split them if the mother is close to fruiting, or pop em and chop em. The pups grow fast attached to the mother.
Still at the stage I can't bring myself to waste one. Going to pot them up and gift some to neighbors, when I run out of room around the pool haha
wstrickland1 is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wstrickland1
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 06-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
 
Location: Acworth, Ga
Zone: 8
Name: Zach
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 85
BananaBucks : 4,128
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 50 Times
Was Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrickland1 View Post
Still at the stage I can't bring myself to waste one. Going to pot them up and gift some to neighbors, when I run out of room around the pool haha
Oh, I know how that feels! Trust me on that! You get a whole row of them and they start getting out of hand. Iíve got 12 different varieties on this side of the house and I almost cant stay ahead of thinning some of them.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ybj...Yftx93en9M5VgQ
__________________
https://flic.kr/p/2mRCU9s
Zalin124 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Zalin124
Said thanks:
Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
Zone: 8-B
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 892
BananaBucks : 30,721
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 296 Times
Was Thanked 1,265 Times in 540 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalin124 View Post
Oh, I know how that feels! Trust me on that! You get a whole row of them and they start getting out of hand. Iíve got 12 different varieties on this side of the house and I almost cant stay ahead of thinning some of them.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ybj...Yftx93en9M5VgQ
I'm getting close to that point and I have nothing
wstrickland1 is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wstrickland1
Old 06-22-2021, 04:53 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banana Plants for Trade
 
Tytaylor77's Avatar
 
Location: East Texas
Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,367
BananaBucks : 40,643
Feedback: 11 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,725 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

I bought a whole tray of the TC VC last year. 72 plants now in the ground! I noticed instantly they were for sure not VC so didn’t sell any. I reported the issue and warned other sellers. It is not a wellspring issue. It is for sure a mix up at Agristarts. I’m excited to see what they are! I’m hoping something good!

They are also fairly cold hardy it seems. Mine hit around 32f and did great. Not a single pstem lost. I’m thinking they look a lot like either an ABB or AAB. We will see.

I love how the barrels look! Plants are doing amazing too! Great Job!

I cut 55gal plastic drums in half and use them to plant some things. Works great. I have a few buried a couple feet deep. To regulate water and temp better.
__________________
150+ Varieties!!. See profile for list. Help me add more!
Tytaylor77 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tytaylor77
Said thanks:
Old 06-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #35 (permalink)
 
Valor_X's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Zone: 9A
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 676
BananaBucks : 43,881
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,136 Times
Was Thanked 1,182 Times in 464 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Which to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrickland1 View Post
Well on its way sir


__________________
Varieties I'm Growing

From Corm/Pup
Dwarf Cavendish ○ Super Dwarf Cavendish ○ Grand Nain ○ NiŮo ○ Manzano ○ Raja Puri ○ Tall Namwah ○ Blue Java ○ 1000 Fingers ○ Praying Hands ○ Orinoco ○ Variegated Florida ○ PR Red ○ California Gold ○ FHIA-03 Sweetheart

Plantains
Puerto Rican Dwarf Plantain ○ African Rhino Horn

From TC
Truly Tiny ○ Manzano ○ "Blue Java" ○ Dwarf Namwah ○ Thai Black ○ Veinte Cohol
Valor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Valor_X
Sponsors

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on the right Banana plant to ..... plant. Plainsrunner Cold Hardy Bananas 4 03-31-2021 04:16 PM
Determine where the banana plant will produce fruit later the moment you plant it? crazy banana Main Banana Discussion 6 08-07-2020 03:22 PM
Basjoo -- Plant in or plant out. Scijox Cold Hardy Bananas 12 07-26-2008 09:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.





All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.