Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Houston, we have a flower!

Well looks like my dwarf Orinico has decided to flower after 18 months.
Problem is, we are running out of clock for this year.

Is there anyway this things fruits before the cold sets in, roughly mid November?

https://imgur.com/a/XU4hcMj
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 08-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
banana cereal killer
 
beam2050's Avatar
 
Location: middleburg fl.
Zone: 9
Name: walkinbeam
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,101
BananaBucks : 549
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3,467 Times
Was Thanked 1,753 Times in 809 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 397 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

ALRIGHT!
beam2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To beam2050
Said thanks:
Old 08-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
meizzwang's Avatar
 
Zone: 9b
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 233
BananaBucks : 30,753
Feedback: 4 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 641 Times
Was Thanked 943 Times in 215 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

If the fingers are developed well enough before the cold sets in, they should be able to handle light frost, especially dwarf orinoco. With certainty, they won't finish until next year.
meizzwang is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To meizzwang
Said thanks:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meizzwang View Post
If the fingers are developed well enough before the cold sets in, they should be able to handle light frost, especially dwarf orinoco. With certainty, they won't finish until next year.
Thanks,
Yeah I'm ok with that. Just hoping not to loose them.
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Said thanks:
Old 08-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
meizzwang's Avatar
 
Zone: 9b
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 233
BananaBucks : 30,753
Feedback: 4 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 641 Times
Was Thanked 943 Times in 215 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

If it doesn't get below 30F this winter in your exact microclimate, provided we continue to have warm weather until around late October of this year, they'll almost for sure make it. Challenge is if you lose all the leaves during the winter, I'm not sure what will happen.

My aeae bloomed Feb. 2018, and had about 4 good leaves on it at the time. Come end of May 2018, there were 3 leaf "stubs" left with only about 10-15% leaf material left (the rest turned brown). The fingers at that time hadn't filled in much because there was almost zero growth between Feb-May (this year, we didn't have spring, just winter and summer!) You'd think there wasn't enough leaf material to get those fingers to finish, but they continued to plump up once it warmed up! The bunch could probably be picked now, but I'm going to wait until the first finger turns yellow. Aeae is way less cold hardy than Dwarf Orinoco, so I'm pretty optimistic you'll have success with yours!

Just be sure to keep that soil slightly moist but not waterlogged during the winter months, cold plus wet could rot out the corms. My plants grow on a slope, and the leaf canopy is so dense, very little water gets into the soil during the winter unless it's a very heavy storm. Even if it does, it dries out and drains very quickly, as there's a gravel bed underneath the topsoil layer.
meizzwang is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To meizzwang
Said thanks:
Sponsors

Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meizzwang View Post
If it doesn't get below 30F this winter in your exact microclimate, provided we continue to have warm weather until around late October of this year, they'll almost for sure make it. Challenge is if you lose all the leaves during the winter, I'm not sure what will happen.

My aeae bloomed Feb. 2018, and had about 4 good leaves on it at the time. Come end of May 2018, there were 3 leaf "stubs" left with only about 10-15% leaf material left (the rest turned brown). The fingers at that time hadn't filled in much because there was almost zero growth between Feb-May (this year, we didn't have spring, just winter and summer!) You'd think there wasn't enough leaf material to get those fingers to finish, but they continued to plump up once it warmed up! The bunch could probably be picked now, but I'm going to wait until the first finger turns yellow. Aeae is way less cold hardy than Dwarf Orinoco, so I'm pretty optimistic you'll have success with yours!

Just be sure to keep that soil slightly moist but not waterlogged during the winter months, cold plus wet could rot out the corms. My plants grow on a slope, and the leaf canopy is so dense, very little water gets into the soil during the winter unless it's a very heavy storm. Even if it does, it dries out and drains very quickly, as there's a gravel bed underneath the topsoil layer.
That's encouraging. Last winter I didn't lose any leaves until that stupid freak cold spell that came late January. It's always warm here until at least late Oct in Livermore.
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Old 08-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

One week update:
https://imgur.com/a/BJwQcmB
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Said thanks:
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
Location: Cairo, Ga
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,653
BananaBucks : 30,658
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,085 Times
Was Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,276 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 286 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

This one?


__________________
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Location: Cairo, Ga
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,653
BananaBucks : 30,658
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,085 Times
Was Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,276 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 286 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

From the droopy looking leaves, this plant needs some water. Mist the leaves about 3 times a day and water the ground. A grown nana plant will transpire about 1 1/2 gal of water per day. That's a lot of water round the area of the roots. When the leaves droop, the plant IS NOT growing.



Also. soak some SOP (sulfate of potash) or MOP (murate of potash) a couple of hand fulls in a couple of gallons of water. Save the solids in the bottom for the next batch. Pour this on the plant about every 4 days. This will help to make the fruit to develop faster. ... Foliar spraying the bunch with 1 1/2% potassium will help too.


You have time to get 4 or 5 nice fat hands.
__________________
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Old 08-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
From the droopy looking leaves, this plant needs some water. Mist the leaves about 3 times a day and water the ground. A grown nana plant will transpire about 1 1/2 gal of water per day. That's a lot of water round the area of the roots. When the leaves droop, the plant IS NOT growing.



Also. soak some SOP (sulfate of potash) or MOP (murate of potash) a couple of hand fulls in a couple of gallons of water. Save the solids in the bottom for the next batch. Pour this on the plant about every 4 days. This will help to make the fruit to develop faster. ... Foliar spraying the bunch with 1 1/2% potassium will help too.


You have time to get 4 or 5 nice fat hands.
Thanks. For the life of me, I've never been able to post pics to this site lol.
I'll give her more water. It always closes the leaves mid aft here with our 90F+ scorching days.
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Old 08-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Location: Cairo, Ga
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,653
BananaBucks : 30,658
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,085 Times
Was Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,276 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 286 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

If there is water in the ground, the leaves shouldn't droop until the temps are about or over 100° . Misting upper plant will help cool the leaves in the bright sun.
__________________
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks:
Old 08-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

Week 2 update.
This flower is going to be Massive!
https://imgur.com/a/6GPNrVG
__________________

Last edited by 37.667910 : 08-21-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Link
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Said thanks:
Old 08-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
Location: Cairo, Ga
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,653
BananaBucks : 30,658
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,085 Times
Was Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,276 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 286 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

__________________
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Old 08-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

Thanks!
Still not sure why this site never allows me to post pics direct.
__________________

Last edited by 37.667910 : 08-21-2018 at 06:38 PM.
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

Week 3:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6818.JPG (1.92 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6819.JPG (1.61 MB, 9 views)
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910
Old 09-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
 
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
BananaBucks : 9,164
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 161 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Houston, we have a flower!

Final update:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6838.JPG (1.00 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6839.JPG (798.0 KB, 12 views)
__________________
37.667910 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 37.667910

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bananas in Houston SeriousBan Main Banana Discussion 9 01-13-2017 03:39 PM
SW Houston Newbie diamondjfarms Member Introductions 3 06-06-2012 01:51 PM
Winter's effect in Houston SeriousBan Main Banana Discussion 3 04-05-2010 11:44 AM
Snow in Houston??!! Bananaman88 Main Banana Discussion 48 12-09-2009 07:35 PM
Newby to bananas N of Houston, TX jewelbaby1224 Main Banana Discussion 6 05-15-2006 06:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.