Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
BananaBucks : 766
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Unhappy HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures) [5/13 UPDATED]



I bought a large banana plant early this year. The previous owner recommended that we wait till the outdoor temperature at a minimum 5C / 41F to transfer to plant in order to minimize the shock to its root and repotting, so we waited till early March.

The owner sawed the root out from the previous planter and we moved it back to mine, and I got a 25" wide 20" tall pot for the plant. Everything was peachy. A couple of weeks later, the leaves started falling. So we cut the broken leaves off.

It was downhill from there. Leaves kept on breaking/falling and a sucker keeps sprouting. I would try and dig out the soil around the sucker and cut it from as deep as I could. But it's no use; it keeps popping out every week.

Now, there are 2 leaves left and they're browning.

Is there hope left?

I read a bunch of articles and here are what I know:
1. Definitely not too much water. Top 2" soil is quite dry and going deeper it's moist.
2. It's facing the same side (south west) by the window so it should get the same sunlight as before.
3. No fertilizer yet but when I repotted it I chopped up broken leaves and mixed in with the soil, as I was told that's the best plant food for banana trees.
4. Cut off some of the thick brown layers on its trunk.

I feel pretty hopeless.

May 13 updates:

After the last leaf was gone, 2 new pups are sprouting...
What's the best course of action here? What should I do if more pop up?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.12.05 PM.png (546.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.12.11 PM.png (704.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.12.16 PM.png (565.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by agentcooper : 05-13-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: updated
agentcooper is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To agentcooper
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Zone: 6
Name: Erik
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 374
BananaBucks : 46,994
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 233 Times
Was Thanked 644 Times in 220 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Did you look for spider mites?
geissene is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To geissene
Old 05-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Location: South Florida
Zone: 10a
Name: Aaron
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
BananaBucks : 2,002
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 14 Times
Was Thanked 41 Times in 15 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentcooper View Post


I bought a large banana plant early this year. The previous owner recommended that we wait till the outdoor temperature at a minimum 5C / 41F to transfer to plant in order to minimize the shock to its root and repotting, so we waited till early March.

The owner sawed the root out from the previous planter and we moved it back to mine, and I got a 25" wide 20" tall pot for the plant. Everything was peachy. A couple of weeks later, the leaves started falling. So we cut the broken leaves off.

It was downhill from there. Leaves kept on breaking/falling and a sucker keeps sprouting. I would try and dig out the soil around the sucker and cut it from as deep as I could. But it's no use; it keeps popping out every week.

Now, there are 2 leaves left and they're browning.

Is there hope left?

I read a bunch of articles and here are what I know:
1. Definitely not too much water. Top 2" soil is quite dry and going deeper it's moist.
2. It's facing the same side (south west) by the window so it should get the same sunlight as before.
3. No fertilizer yet but when I repotted it I chopped up broken leaves and mixed in with the soil, as I was told that's the best plant food for banana trees.
4. Cut off some of the thick brown layers on its trunk.

I feel pretty hopeless.
I don't think this is the source of your problem but, as a digression, I'd recommend against putting fresh organic material in your soil that isn't composted. Fresh organic material, such as banana leaves, can tie up nitrogen during the initial phases of composting so it's best to compost those materials separately and add them to your plants later as a top dressing (or mixed in if you're preparing a bed for planting a month or two later).
SoFloBanana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SoFloBanana
Said thanks:
Old 05-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
BananaBucks : 766
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geissene View Post
Did you look for spider mites?

I don't think it's spider mites because I haven't noticed any webbing.
agentcooper is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To agentcooper
Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
BananaBucks : 766
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloBanana View Post
I don't think this is the source of your problem but, as a digression, I'd recommend against putting fresh organic material in your soil that isn't composted. Fresh organic material, such as banana leaves, can tie up nitrogen during the initial phases of composting so it's best to compost those materials separately and add them to your plants later as a top dressing (or mixed in if you're preparing a bed for planting a month or two later).
Good to know, thanks!
agentcooper is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To agentcooper
Sponsors

Old 05-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Zone: 6 1/2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 130
BananaBucks : 17,509
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 291 Times
Was Thanked 125 Times in 63 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 99 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentcooper View Post
I don't think it's spider mites because I haven't noticed any webbing.
I have had serious spider mite problems with no webbing.

Check the underside of the leaves carefully.
George Webster is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To George Webster
Old 05-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,865
BananaBucks : 10,397
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,422 Times
Was Thanked 8,099 Times in 3,160 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,427 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

The plant looks pretty normal for being indoors in low light for a few months.
Like my plants they soon decline until I put them outdoors again in seven months.

Even in front of a cold window(which is probably uv coated and energy efficient) is not enough to keep your plant healthy.

Your large plant also plant sits above any usable light coming through the window too.


Once the plant is outdoors in the sun it will sort itself out and become the awesome dwarf plant it once was.

If the daytime temps are above 5c then move it out during the day and bring it in at night.
And also leave the pups be....they are not hurting anything. Let them grow out.
Your plant will always put out pups every month or so.

Your plant is stressed enough and does not enjoy being hacked on every other week

You might find this helpful with the care of your new plant.
Richard's Guide for homegrown bananas
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
BananaBucks : 766
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
The plant looks pretty normal for being indoors in low light for a few months.
Like my plants they soon decline until I put them outdoors again in seven months.

Even in front of a cold window(which is probably uv coated and energy efficient) is not enough to keep your plant healthy.

Your large plant also plant sits above any usable light coming through the window too.


Once the plant is outdoors in the sun it will sort itself out and become the awesome dwarf plant it once was.

If the daytime temps are above 5c then move it out during the day and bring it in at night.
And also leave the pups be....they are not hurting anything. Let them grow out.
Your plant will always put out pups every month or so.

Your plant is stressed enough and does not enjoy being hacked on every other week

You might find this helpful with the care of your new plant.
Richard's Guide for homegrown bananas
Thank you! I bought the plant from someone who housed the plant indoors for the past 3 years, and as I live in downtown and have no balcony so unfortunately it cannot be moved outdoors

I'll stop cutting out the pups.
agentcooper is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To agentcooper
Old 05-07-2019, 03:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,865
BananaBucks : 10,397
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,422 Times
Was Thanked 8,099 Times in 3,160 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,427 Times
Smile Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentcooper View Post
Thank you! I bought the plant from someone who housed the plant indoors for the past 3 years, and as I live in downtown and have no balcony so unfortunately it cannot be moved outdoors

I'll stop cutting out the pups.
Supplemental lighting will make your plant perk up some
Some grow light ldeas are somewhat easy to make and purchase from the internet.
You might just need to get a quality led grow bulb for your plant.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks:
Old 06-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
MiamiNice57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
BananaBucks : 422
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 5 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Unhappy Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Hmm maybe late for this post but hope it helps.

The yellowing is two fold.

1) Fungus, too much water, too small container.
2) Small white bugs?
Fungus can be combated by using copper (Southern AG) spray and drench the soil as well.
As with any chemical, follow directions do not use more than recommended

Let me know if this helps
MiamiNice57 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MiamiNice57
Said thanks:
Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
Location: Cairo, Ga
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,891
BananaBucks : 39,322
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,295 Times
Was Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,459 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 321 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures) [5/13 UPDATED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentcooper View Post
...............................
...

I read a bunch of articles and here are what I know:
1. Definitely not too much water. Top 2" soil is quite dry and going deeper it's moist.
2. It's facing the same side (south west) by the window so it should get the same sunlight as before.
3. No fertilizer yet but when I repotted it I chopped up broken leaves and mixed in with the soil, as I was told that's the best plant food for banana trees.
4. Cut off some of the thick brown layers on its trunk.

I feel pretty hopeless.
...

Does water drain from the bottom of the pot and is it discarded? ... If it does not then the lower part of the pot is water logged and stale. Even tho the top of the potting soil is dry. The pot needs to be in a saucer with the drain holes raised above any water that drain out. ... Next, the potting soil needs to be fast draining. Which mean you pour water in the top and see water running out the bottom immediately (not minutes or 1/2 hour later). ... Commercial Potting soil has too much peat for banana plants and peat hold water like a sponge. Thus the need to mix potting soil with perlite (or course sand) at 50% to 75% perlite. ... Get and use a long stem moisture meter to check moisture deep in the pot. You can also check the moisturer level though the pot drain holes if the stem doesn't reach the bottom.



What the above posters said is correct. BUT, the pot conditions and potting medium MUST be right to begin with. It will likely be too late to save the plant if the potting conditions are found to be the cause of the problems later.


I further do not recommend using compost in the potting mix for bananas. Like peat, it holds too much water and induces a rot into the pot and not good for bananas. This is how compost works and breaks down. ... However, watering with a compost tea is good and the nutrients are immediately available for the plant use while keeping the rot out of the pot.
__________________

Last edited by edwmax : 06-10-2019 at 06:19 AM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my Rajapuri banana plant flowering? Pictures attached trinity1100 Main Banana Discussion 27 10-04-2016 10:29 AM
Save corm of blooming banana after pup removal, or toss? siege2050 Main Banana Discussion 13 05-07-2016 05:09 PM
Plant these to help save bees crazy banana Tiki Hut 8 03-27-2016 03:41 PM
Please help me save my banana plant Stuartgrimes Cold Hardy Bananas 6 12-28-2015 01:00 PM
pictures of the banana plant life cycle and production process sought Tracy Member Introductions 5 07-27-2009 06:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.