Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #61 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Smile Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
There has been a lot of debate about if it is possible to graft bananas. If there is some actual proof for either side, could someone please post it.
Hello, everyone ! This the notorious Mauro Gibo again hitting the same key ! Bananas trees can be grafted ! Here is a link for you interested in the subject: CARE - Virtual Field Trip - Bolivia - Journal Entries - Day 4
please search for it in the google.
A also visited the birth place of Matsuo Basho, the father of the Japanese Banana, Musa Basjoo, here in Japan. Please check my videos Matsuo Basho's Birth Place from I~IV:
mauro-gibo videos on Dailymotion
I am very sorry for the big confusion I have made. But I will always follow my own heart even if I am at the final courtain. Thank you for your precious time.
Yours Sincerely,
Mauro Gibo.

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 05-23-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: "Let nothing in the world be unknown to you!"
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chong's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,837
BananaBucks : 72,307
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,254 Times
Was Thanked 1,654 Times in 741 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 932 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chironex View Post
If there is one thing that I have learned in my pursuit of science it is that there are no absolute facts. Predictable outcomes are sometimes skewed by the slightest variables and "experimental error".
It seems that we always want to be correct or right about something, yet variations and aberrations occur. What one believes or does not believe is immaterial to all possible outcomes. Just when you feel that you have a grasp on mother nature, she throws us a curveball. The only certainty in science is that nothing is 100% certain.
Now, isn't that the truth?!!!
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #63 (permalink)
 
Lagniappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,111
BananaBucks : 128,804
Feedback: 22 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,378 Times
Was Thanked 1,385 Times in 550 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 535 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

It's so odd that this thread was linked back to today. I found an article early this morning and wanted to look this thread up to post my reply, but got too busy.
In an article concerning plant parasites: "Plants often use small RNA molecules as messengers between different parts of [the plant]. Findings have shown that RNA can travel from a graft into the rest of the plant, affecting leaf shape, and helping the parasite synchronize it's life cycle with that of the host plant.
Is this relevant? Could this be what's going on in these grafts?
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lagniappe
Said thanks:
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #64 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Talking Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
It's so odd that this thread was linked back to today. I found an article early this morning and wanted to look this thread up to post my reply, but got too busy.
In an article concerning plant parasites: "Plants often use small RNA molecules as messengers between different parts of [the plant]. Findings have shown that RNA can travel from a graft into the rest of the plant, affecting leaf shape, and helping the parasite synchronize it's life cycle with that of the host plant.
Is this relevant? Could this be what's going on in these grafts?
First of all, Lagniappe, thank you for your comment on the subject.
This is no politics, this is philosophy. There are three things I choose and cherish:
To care! If i care I have no fear.
To be fair! If am fair, I will not be selfish.
To be humble! If I'm humble I know I will grow.
My experiment is very simple. Most people think I am stupid in trying to prove something impossible. But is it really impossible? How sure can we be?
There are so many things in nature that we don't know yet. Most young people think they have a lot of knowlege about the skill of grafting, which I agree. But they have forgotten one thing. Wisdom and knowlege are two different things. I've been working with plants for many decades. I know every plant has a different behavior. for example you can't graft a Japanese Cherry tree. The stock will not send water to the scion. The scion without water will dry out and die. So you have to propagate such trees in a different way.
I have grafted many banana cultivars and I am waiting for the results. I know it will take time. One thing I can tell you I have nothing to lose. I already have one foot in the tomb. The vultures are flying over my head but I intend to disappoint them. I have only one aim and that is to prove that banana pups can be grafted successfuly. Anyway, thank your for your precious information.
Best Regards,
Mauro Gibo.

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 11-30-2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: To prove that backyard scientists have something good to say
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks:
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #65 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Joy Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
It's so odd that this thread was linked back to today. I found an article early this morning and wanted to look this thread up to post my reply, but got too busy.
In an article concerning plant parasites: "Plants often use small RNA molecules as messengers between different parts of [the plant]. Findings have shown that RNA can travel from a graft into the rest of the plant, affecting leaf shape, and helping the parasite synchronize it's life cycle with that of the host plant.
Is this relevant? Could this be what's going on in these grafts?
These are my grafted banana plants:

I love my banana plants and hope you all will love them too.
Bye.
Mauro.

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 11-30-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Bananas can save the world from hunger
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks:
Sponsors

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #66 (permalink)
Living in Exile
 
damaclese's Avatar
 
Location: Henderson NV
Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767
BananaBucks : 215,830
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,615 Times in 703 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

this RNA aspect explains the mechanisms thank you for sharing your findings it makes perfect sense to me
__________________
Helping to foster understanding for the learning disabled

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Old 11-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #67 (permalink)
Moderator

 
Gabe15's Avatar
 
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,531
BananaBucks : 313,927
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,815 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
It's so odd that this thread was linked back to today. I found an article early this morning and wanted to look this thread up to post my reply, but got too busy.
In an article concerning plant parasites: "Plants often use small RNA molecules as messengers between different parts of [the plant]. Findings have shown that RNA can travel from a graft into the rest of the plant, affecting leaf shape, and helping the parasite synchronize it's life cycle with that of the host plant.
Is this relevant? Could this be what's going on in these grafts?
First, this assumes that the plants can be successfully and viably grafted together, since we are talking about bananas, I still have not seen any convincing evidence that any banana grafting has actually taken place. Attempting to graft is much different from actually producing a graft.

Second, one must be very careful about applying information from one study to something completely different, this goes for anything (but especially so with these intricate and poorly understood biological systems in this case). To me, reading that pathogenic messenger RNA can travel from graft to scion of a unknown plant species and have some kind of an affect means nothing in regards to grafting bananas together to create somatic hybrids. They are in different realms and there is nothing to correlate them. Even if grafting bananas can be done physiologically, there still is no evidence that one portion could affect another in bananas, mainly since I don't think anyone has ever actually grafted bananas successfully to even begin the tests.

For me and most people I have talked to about this subject, there is a critical lack of evidence. I don't mean to offend anyone here (and Mauro, I know you are reading this, please don't think I'm trying to tear you down, I'm just approaching this curious case the same way as I do anything in my life), I am as curious as anyone about if this works or not in some way. Im not trying to prove banana grafting as possible or impossible, but whichever way it is, there needs to be evidence to back it up. So far, I have an immense amount of evidence that it does not work, and no evidence that it does.

The goal of science is not to prove that something can be done, it is to test if something can be done.
__________________
Growing bananas in Colorado, Hawaii and Washington since 2004.
Gabe15 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gabe15
Said thanks:
Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #68 (permalink)
 
Lagniappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,111
BananaBucks : 128,804
Feedback: 22 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,378 Times
Was Thanked 1,385 Times in 550 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 535 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Thanks , Gabe.
I'll admit that it's reaching, but got a little excited when I read about this.
I did think the RNA communication was part of the plant, and not the parasite, and thought that it was this mechanism that was affecting the leaf changes from the grafted sections to other parts of the plant.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lagniappe
Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #69 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
First, this assumes that the plants can be successfully and viably grafted together, since we are talking about bananas, I still have not seen any convincing evidence that any banana grafting has actually taken place. Attempting to graft is much different from actually producing a graft.

Second, one must be very careful about applying information from one study to something completely different, this goes for anything (but especially so with these intricate and poorly understood biological systems in this case). To me, reading that pathogenic messenger RNA can travel from graft to scion of a unknown plant species and have some kind of an affect means nothing in regards to grafting bananas together to create somatic hybrids. They are in different realms and there is nothing to correlate them. Even if grafting bananas can be done physiologically, there still is no evidence that one portion could affect another in bananas, mainly since I don't think anyone has ever actually grafted bananas successfully to even begin the tests.

For me and most people I have talked to about this subject, there is a critical lack of evidence. I don't mean to offend anyone here (and Mauro, I know you are reading this, please don't think I'm trying to tear you down, I'm just approaching this curious case the same way as I do anything in my life), I am as curious as anyone about if this works or not in some way. Im not trying to prove banana grafting as possible or impossible, but whichever way it is, there needs to be evidence to back it up. So far, I have an immense amount of evidence that it does not work, and no evidence that it does.

The goal of science is not to prove that something can be done, it is to test if something can be done.
Hi, Gabe, Nice to meet you. I knew you would be the last one to speak or give your point of view. You are young and have your whole future ahead of you. You are very careful because wrong words could hurt your career. With me things are different, I'm an old man. I've been to hell and back many times, I also died many times. And the there is one thing I'm not afraid of, that is: I am not afraid to make mistakes, because we learn from our mistakes. Maybe, the first mistake I did was to call the union of two different kind of bananas, grafting. Grafting is really something different. At the time I didn't find a proper word to name my unusual experiment. Even today, I still don't have a matching word for it. But for me it doen't really matter. I firmly believe that it is my challenging spirit that really matters. When I went to college I thought my teachers where great and that they were genius. Now, I know that they were just living encyclopedias passing on informations they had acquired in the past. Another thing I found out is that I am more powerful than a computer. Why?
Because I can think and the computer can't. I work as a translator for a large Japanese Corporation which has many factories around the world and translantion is a must. I wrote a sentence in Japanese to be translated into English. the sentence was: When you notice anything wrong with the product tell your superior immeditely. The computer translated: When the handicapped erupts, tell your superior at once. See what I mean? Now, let's go back to my experiment. I know that about 80 countries of temperate climates near the equator produce bananas. If by any chance I get a cold hardy banana variety, I'm sure going to change the banana belt.
I appreciate your comment. One more sore for a lepper won't make any difference. I will keep going one, because I know I am in the right track.
Thanks.
P.S. Don't pay attention to this old mule.
Bye.
Mauro Gibo

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 12-01-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Uma no mimi ni nembutsu! Don't pray at a mule's ear.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #70 (permalink)
Been nuts, gone bananas
 
harveyc's Avatar
 
Location: Isleton, Calif
Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,101
BananaBucks : 48,897
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 5,982 Times
Was Thanked 4,321 Times in 1,851 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,784 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Mauro, you don't look that much older than me in your videos. I thought Chong was the old man around here!
__________________
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #71 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Mauro, you don't look that much older than me in your videos. I thought Chong was the old man around here!
Thanks, Harveyc, but I raised 7 children and have 18 grand-children. My youngest is already over 30. I feel like I am a living fossil.
Best Regards,
Wish you the Best.
Mauro.

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 12-01-2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: I don't want my friends to keep their distance from me.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks:
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chong's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,837
BananaBucks : 72,307
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,254 Times
Was Thanked 1,654 Times in 741 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 932 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro Gibo View Post
And the there is one thing I'm not afraid of, that is: I am not afraid to make mistakes, because we learn from our mistakes. Maybe, the first mistake I did was to call the union of two different kind of bananas, grafting. Grafting is really something different. At the time I didn't find a proper word to name my unusual experiment. Even today, I still don't have a matching word for it. But for me it doesn't really matter. I firmly believe that it is my challenging spirit that really matters. When I went to college I thought my teachers where great and that they were genius. Now, I know that they were just living encyclopedias passing on informations they had acquired in the past. Another thing I found out is that I am more powerful than a computer. Why?
Because I can think and the computer can't. I work as a translator for a large Japanese Corporation which has many factories around the world and translantion is a must. I wrote a sentence in Japanese to be translated into English. the sentence was: When you notice anything wrong with the product tell your superior immediately. The computer translated: When the handicapped erupts, tell your superior at once. See what I mean? Now, let's go back to my experiment. I know that about 80 countries of temperate climates near the equator produce bananas. If by any chance I get a cold hardy banana variety, I'm sure going to change the banana belt.
I appreciate your comment. One more sore for a leper won't make any difference. I will keep going one, because I know I am in the right track.
Thanks.
P.S. Don't pay attention to this old mule.
Bye.
Mauro Gibo
Mauro-san,
Trying to prove to yourself something that you have learned from what other cultures have done should be gratifying. Sharing them with others is an act of kindness. So, do not worry about semantics or technicalities. With your experiments, the only mistake you will make is if you don't try. Already it appears that you have succeeded in combining halves of two different varieties of banana and have grown them to the point that they are one plant and are producing pups. In a few months time, you will find out if the fruit they will produce will be like the one or the other variety, or as luck would have it, celebrate the fact that it is a combination of the two!!! I applaud your determination, and look forward to your announcement that the fruit is a hybrid and would be honored to be one of the first to congratulate you on your success! So, please keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Mauro, you don't look that much older than me in your videos. I thought Chong was the old man around here!
You know that I would be reading this, and I humbly thank you for the compliment.

So, Mauro-san, if you are also reading this, you should listen to the wise old man.

Chong
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #73 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Joy Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong View Post
Mauro-san,
Trying to prove to yourself something that you have learned from what other cultures have done should be gratifying. Sharing them with others is an act of kindness. So, do not worry about semantics or technicalities. With your experiments, the only mistake you will make is if you don't try. Already it appears that you have succeeded in combining halves of two different varieties of banana and have grown them to the point that they are one plant and are producing pups. In a few months time, you will find out if the fruit they will produce will be like the one or the other variety, or as luck would have it, celebrate the fact that it is a combination of the two!!! I applaud your determination, and look forward to your announcement that the fruit is a hybrid and would be honored to be one of the first to congratulate you on your success! So, please keep us posted.


You know that I would be reading this, and I humbly thank you for the compliment.

So, Mauro-san, if you are also reading this, you should listen to the wise old man.

Chong
Mr. Chong, it's a pleasure to hear from you. I'm trying to be tough and stay away from you guys, but I can't. We share the same ideals, we love and care for tropical plants. To grow bananas in this cold country is my passion. The Japanese love Bonsai, to tell you the truth I don't care much about Bonsai, because I know a lot of people who have bonsais centuries old. I could never compete with them. But with banana plants is another thing. The Japanese do not have experimented with banana plants yet. So here I am, doing my thing in my own way, like I did in the 60's and 70's. The wrinkles in my face are my annual rings. Mr. Chong I know you are wise and I respect you. It's part of our culture here in Japan to respect the older people because we know they are wise. Your words make me feel good. It won't be long now. My bananas are growing well just like I expected.
Pretty soon I will have enough proof of my success. Thank you very much for standing by me. I promise I will not disappoint you. The Japanese taught me to be persistent. I always mean what I say. I will be in touch.
Once again thank you very much.
Much Obliged. Muito Obrigado.
Mauro Gibo

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 12-01-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: A word of gratitude to Mr. Chong. 謝謝!
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks:
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #74 (permalink)
Living in Exile
 
damaclese's Avatar
 
Location: Henderson NV
Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767
BananaBucks : 215,830
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,615 Times in 703 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Its good to hear from you Mauro! how is Japan thees days? Keep you feet warm and drink tea. I'm still vary excited about your experiment hopping it is the way but only time will tell as you say. do you celebrate Christmas if so have a good one
Paulo
__________________
Helping to foster understanding for the learning disabled

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #75 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaclese View Post
Its good to hear from you Mauro! how is Japan thees days? Keep you feet warm and drink tea. I'm still vary excited about your experiment hopping it is the way but only time will tell as you say. do you celebrate Christmas if so have a good one
Paulo
Hi Paulo! It's really nice to hear from you. I sure drink a lot of tea. Especially after I got diabetes, my mouth is always dry. My eye sight is not very good either, but that doesn't stop me from grafting banana pups.
The bananas I've grafted are already very tall and they have many baby pups. There is one big problem, though. The winter has come. Everyday it gets colder and colder. The leaves of my bananas are turning yellow. This coming year is very important to me. It's the year which will decide my fate.
Loser or Winner! If my crossbred bananas survive the winter and bloom in the spring I will be a champion. If they die I will be just a big joker and people will laugh at me. Let's sit and wait: Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be.

Thank you for writing to me. I wish you a Merry Christmas! And God Bless you!
Bye, Mauro Gibo
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks:
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #76 (permalink)
Been nuts, gone bananas
 
harveyc's Avatar
 
Location: Isleton, Calif
Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,101
BananaBucks : 48,897
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 5,982 Times
Was Thanked 4,321 Times in 1,851 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,784 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Mauro, maybe you should grow prickly pear instead (also). More hardy to the cold and some studies show they help folks with diabetes.
__________________
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 12-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #77 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Location: West Palm Beach
Zone: 10
Name: james
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 505
BananaBucks : 6,435
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 21 Times
Was Thanked 103 Times in 63 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

can some please explain in more detail how the grafting is done or performed?
frog7994 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To frog7994
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #78 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,368
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Cold Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog7994 View Post
can some please explain in more detail how the grafting is done or performed?
First you have to make a choice: Anthony Whyte or Mauro Gibo? Which side are you on?
Grafting bananas - 22 March 2003 - New Scientist

"If successful, the two cut surfaces must be held permanently together by tying or taping, which in all likelihood would further increase the chance of disease."

For me a guy who says "If" lacks confidence.

So, I grafted my bananas.

P.S. If you have a good laugh I won't mind.
Best Regards,
Mauro Gibo

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 12-03-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: To get James confused.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #79 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Location: West Palm Beach
Zone: 10
Name: james
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 505
BananaBucks : 6,435
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 21 Times
Was Thanked 103 Times in 63 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

well I'm not 100% on what belive I just saw but it looked very interesting. I would like to hear or read more on it. I hope what is being done in the video is really a art( i mean no disrespect) and will look for future post. And thanks for the info.
frog7994 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To frog7994
Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chong's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,837
BananaBucks : 72,307
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,254 Times
Was Thanked 1,654 Times in 741 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 932 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog7994 View Post
can some please explain in more detail how the grafting is done or performed?
Just to clarify, please note that the term "grafting" as used in this thread is not the same as conventional grafting, where you might have a rootstock to which one or several different varieties of scions are grafted onto in order to have different varieties of trees or plant. In this case, both scion and rootstock of two different varieties are halved and two different halves are fused together to form a "graft" and form a single pseudostem.

The following videos posted by Mauro shows how they do it in Japan. The videos used to be linked in this thread, but somehow I can't find them. I got these from my saved files.












Last edited by chong : 12-03-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks:
Sponsors

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.