Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
The causasian Asian!
 
Chironex's Avatar
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,788
BananaBucks : 60,796
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,375 Times in 793 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Back-yard naked Banana Scientist

Mauro, there is no need to hide in a cave! I salute you for bringing this subject to everyone's attention. Trial and error is the fuel that leads to new discoveries. In fact, when I get some extra pups of something, I will do it here, too. As I mentioned in a message to you, I have some ideas I want to try with your experiment.
Your humility seems to be something that came from a graft between Brazil and Japan. I find this to be a quality that I need to practice myself. I enjoy reading your posts and hope that you will not stop. This site is for banana enthusiasts around the world and there is no question about your enthusiasm. Whether it be for experimentation, approval or simple appreciation of bananas, we are all here because of our interest in bananas. Keep on doing what you wish, I will read every word.
__________________
Scot


Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Old 09-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #42 (permalink)
banana junkie
 
mskitty38583's Avatar
 
Location: sparta, tn.
Zone: 6-7
Name: mskitty
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,070
BananaBucks : 129,452
Feedback: 26 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 82 Times
Was Thanked 857 Times in 598 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 136 Times
Default Re: Back-yard naked Banana Scientist

lol! ha ha were all nuts to grow nanas in places that they :"arent" suppossed to grow in. dont hide in no cave, come out and stay awhile. newton didnt have any concrete evidence about gravity and hes really qouted now. lol!
__________________
WELCOME TO THE GATOR NATION



mskitty38583 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mskitty38583
Said thanks:
Old 09-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #43 (permalink)
Retired.
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Location: Vista, CA
Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,211
BananaBucks : 508
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,291 Times
Was Thanked 11,292 Times in 4,328 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,668 Times
Default Re: Back-yard naked Banana Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitty38583 View Post
lol! ha ha were all nuts to grow nanas in places that they :"arent" suppossed to grow in. dont hide in no cave, come out and stay awhile. newton didnt have any concrete evidence about gravity and hes really qouted now. lol!
Newton's mathematical model of gravity, which was part of his potential theory or "force at a distance" is not only remarkable, but of tremendous practical use in engineering. However, his concept of the physical nature of gravity was incorrect. Not that modern observers are doing any better: we know more about what it isn't than what it is.
__________________


8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks:
Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #44 (permalink)
Living in Exile
 
damaclese's Avatar
 
Location: Henderson NV
Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767
BananaBucks : 215,851
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,615 Times in 703 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Planting Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro Gibo View Post
Hi, damaclese !
Why do people go to Las Vegas? To try their luck, right ? Even knowing that you can't beat a machine, you will still try. And as a result come home dead broke. Well, I've decided to try my luck with this very, very slim chance. Maybe one in a million. To graft a banana pup. I'm really embarassed that I saw a little smoke and thought that it was a big fire. But, still, something inside of me tells me not to get disheartened. Is my experiment a folk tale? I've asked myself a thousand times. To tell you the truth I don't know. But I'll sure find out, by next spring. God willing. I'm sorry to be such a big mouth, I should have done my experiment in silence...
Here is some words that keep me on my track:
"Those who speak know nothing;
Those who know are silent."
These words, I'm told,
Were spoken by Lao-tzu.
If we are to believe that Lao-tzu
Was himself one who knew,
How is it that he wrote a book
Of five thousand words?
This is just an excuse for my big mouth. Thank you for supporting my theory, although there is so slim a chance. Bye, for now let me hide in my cave until I get more concrete proof of my experiment.
Mauro don't be embarrass i shoot my mouth off all the time. The only difference is people often cant tell i am being mouthy as they can't really read what I'm wright LOL. the hole point of this blog as i see it is to be ones self and to have fun sharing and exploring. Its a kind of frontier for Bananas and other related Horticultural stuff. the only thing i ask of any one on here is Live and let Live and Play nice. id rather hear whats on some ones mind then have them not share it because if you don't act your self then theres no way to really get to know the real you. In the End as i see it the only reason we are here on this plane of existents is to have relationships with each. in that is the sum of what we are and how we learn by interacting. i hope that wasn't to metaphysical for every one LOL.
so no mater what be your self and let the chips fall were they may People will get over it or not but thats there choice. i don't think any one has had a problem with your assertions to date i think its all just been a typical scientific debate. and theirs the Fun don't you think!?
__________________
Helping to foster understanding for the learning disabled

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Said thanks:
Old 09-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
The causasian Asian!
 
Chironex's Avatar
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,788
BananaBucks : 60,796
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,375 Times in 793 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Planting Bananas

I have only begun studying the teachings of Lao-tzu and Taoism in general. It is soothing and helps me find tranquility in this crazy world.

Here is something that explains the Yin and Yang of Taoist thought as it applies to your banana grafting experiment:
  • If you can find true contentment, it will last forever.
  • Embrace simplicity. Put others first. Desire little.
  • No disaster is worse than being discontented.
__________________
Scot


Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #46 (permalink)
The causasian Asian!
 
Chironex's Avatar
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,788
BananaBucks : 60,796
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,375 Times in 793 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Planting Bananas

Mauro, it's good to see you again. I would like to see the photos of your new plant. A cave is a nice place to reflect with ones thoughts, but not much grows there...
Glad you are back with us.
__________________
Scot


Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 AM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chong's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,837
BananaBucks : 72,315
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,254 Times
Was Thanked 1,654 Times in 741 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 932 Times
Default Re: The insistent banana grower, Mauro

(The following post was entered by Mauro under a new thread today and was a little confusing because it was under the Introductions thread and he had other posts that were of the same subject under separate threads. What I wanted to do was move the post to the Bananas Discussions Forum but instead I clicked the Merge Posts selection button. My apologies. - Chong)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro Gibo View Post
Today at 10:52 PM
Dear friends and fellow plant growers of the Banana Org. Forum. After weeks and months of meditation in my cave, here, in the Far East I have decided to come back to the forum and expose my mystical experiments, theories and my Taoist phisophy. My theme is yet the same: Grafting Banana Specimens.
First of all, Greetings to everyone !
"Man follows the ways of the Earth,
The Earth follows the ways of Heaven,
Heaven follows the ways of Tao,
Tao follows its own ways."
That means that I will always follow my own way of grafting banana specimens no matter the hardships or contradictory point of views of my fellow botanists through out the world. I would like to repeat the words of the 3 Japanese Nobel Prize winners Mr. Nambu Youichi, Mr. Kobayashi Makoto and Mr. Masukawa Toshihide: "The most important thing to achieve your goal and success is the spirit of never quitting, no matter how difficult your experiment may be!" I intend to follow their teachings and never quit my grafting experiment until I get a new banana cultivar through grafting which still is considered impossible by many botanists and experts in biotechnology. Especially those who dedicate themselves to the tissue culture of the banana plant. Up to now, through my way of grafting banana shoots of different variety I have succeeded only in getting variegated species. I have not yet achieved my goal of getting a new banana cultivar of unchangeable identity. In the former threads I have said that I would not stop bugging the Brazilian Government Controlled Research Centers about my question. Is there really a method of grafting banana plants by the native Brazilians which we yet do not know of? Do the Brazilian farmers have an ancient stone age, simple method of grafting bananas, or not? Here is the second reply of my questions:
" Não existe nada a respeito de enxerto nos manuais técnicos sobre
bananeira. A prática que está referindo, não é enxerto e sim desbaste. A
retirada de brotos evitando a formação de touceira é muito importante,
pois evita competição entre plantas e aumenta o tamanho do cacho da
planta que fica. Existem outras explicações para obtenção de cachos
grandes no Vale da Ribeira. A primeira é que lá se cultiva banana
Nanicão ou Grande Naine que produzem cachos grandes. A segunda é que, em
algumas propriedades faz-se uma boa adubação e menejo da cultura, o que
ajuda a produzir bons cachos." Sorry again, it is in Portuguese not English, but here is a simple translation of the original:
In the Technical Manuals of Propagation Bananas, there is no information about this practice. The practice you have inquired about is called rough-hew. We leave few suckers to avoid grouth competition among them, which is very important, so the banana plants can produce larger bunches of bananas. There are other methods to obtain larger bunches of bananas in the Ribeira Valley, Southern region of Brazil. One of them is that they grow the Nanicao or the Grand Naine cultivar. The other pratice is that they fertilize the soil properly and apply the adequate management for the banana plantation to obtain good and bigger bunches.
I am not yet satisfied with the answers I've got, but I think it is time to stop bugging the Rearch Centers of Brazil. I do not want to annoy them anymore. That, only, I shall quit! But I will still continue my naive experiments for my own satisfaction.
I have decided to return to the forum today and open my big mouth, because I am very happy. I am not afraid of the coming cold winter and my banana specimens aren't either. I checked my plants and saw new suckers coming out of the ground. They are healthy and beautiful. That means that I don't have to wait for the spring to come like a pregnant woman anymore. My beautiful pups were already born, what shall I call them Chironex? Pups, Mutts or Mongrels? Half-breed banana pups?...
I'd like to speak a little about my philosophy: My Tao Te Ching, "The Way of Life":
"Everyone says that my way of life is the way of a simpleton.
Being largely the way of a simpleton is what makes it worth while....
These possessions of a simpleton being the three I choose
And cherish:
To care,
To be fair,
To be humble.
When a man cares he is unafraid,
When he is fair he leaves enough for others,
When he is humble he can grow.
...See how fine the palaces
And see how poor the farms,
How bare the pesants granaries
While gentry wear embroideries
Hiding sharpened arms.
And the more they have the more they seize,
How can there be such men as these
Who never hunger, never thirst,
Yet eat and drink until they burst!
By Lao-tzu, harmony with nature, posted by Mauro Gibo.
I'm sorry, but I have to leave now. My banana babies wait for me. Thank you for taking your precious time to read my thread. Here is an ancient saying from the fareast to my friends of the forum:
Above all, I hope I don't buy the hate of the American ladies, especially the ladies of the forum.
Best things in life: Live in an American house, eat Chinese food and have a Japanese lady as a wife.
Worst things in life: Live in a Japanese house, eat British food and have an American wife.
Please forgive this simpleton with a big big mouth.
Bye for now. Once again, forgive me.

Hello Mauro,
Glad to hear back from you. I combined your posts regarding your experiments into this thread so that your posts will be more easily identified. I must apologize that all your post were merged, although they are all there.

Chong
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
The causasian Asian!
 
Chironex's Avatar
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,788
BananaBucks : 60,796
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,375 Times in 793 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

My good friend and colleague Mauro, I always learn from your posts. A lesson in humility is time well spent. I am working on all 3 things best in life. Although, there may be some exceptions, as you know.
__________________
Scot


Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
Retired.
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Location: Vista, CA
Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,211
BananaBucks : 508
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,291 Times
Was Thanked 11,292 Times in 4,328 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,668 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Mauro,

It would be very helpful to all readers if you would dig up your plant and identify which parts of the corm your new pups are propagating from.

Thanks!
__________________


8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chong's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,837
BananaBucks : 72,315
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,254 Times
Was Thanked 1,654 Times in 741 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 932 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Mauro,

It would be very helpful to all readers if you would dig up your plant and identify which parts of the corm your new pups are propagating from.

Thanks!
Hello again Mauro-san,
Even a picture would be very helpful for us on the outside.

Arigato!

Chong
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Sponsors

Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #51 (permalink)
Living in Exile
 
damaclese's Avatar
 
Location: Henderson NV
Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767
BananaBucks : 215,851
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,615 Times in 703 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Dear Mauro,
Its so good to hear from you! a delight always thanks for sharing. could we have some pictures of those banana grafts? It would be ever so helpful in the learning process. Funny thing i was just thinking not more then two days ago as to what had happened to you. I was thinking that perhaps we had frightened you away with are interrogations regarding your grafting experiments. Keep posting i find your threads highly interesting. Its nice to have the varied cultural aspects of the different people that post here on the ORG. Chill or be chilled! Paulie
__________________
Helping to foster understanding for the learning disabled

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Old 10-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #52 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,385
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Red face Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaclese View Post
Dear Mauro,
Its so good to hear from you! a delight always thanks for sharing. could we have some pictures of those banana grafts? It would be ever so helpful in the learning process. Funny thing i was just thinking not more then two days ago as to what had happened to you. I was thinking that perhaps we had frightened you away with are interrogations regarding your grafting experiments. Keep posting i find your threads highly interesting. Its nice to have the varied cultural aspects of the different people that post here on the ORG. Chill or be chilled! Paulie
Hi, Paulie!
Sometimes, I chill people, sometimes I get chilled. After all we are humans. Sometimes, I am over confident. Sometimes, I get scared. When I am sure of myself I open my big mouth. When I get scared I hide in my cave and meditate for weeks, until the dark cloud is gone. By the way, I'm not that good with the computer and I don't know how to up load pictures. I took some pictures of my bananas and the Japanese persimmon and I'd like to post them, but I don't know how. Could you teach me? Please? Mauro.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #53 (permalink)
Been nuts, gone bananas
 
harveyc's Avatar
 
Location: Isleton, Calif
Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,101
BananaBucks : 48,985
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 5,982 Times
Was Thanked 4,321 Times in 1,851 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,784 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Mauro, don't get too chilled...it can be harmful to your bananas!

Edit: after making my post originally, I PM'd Jarred and he made his post a "sticky" and edited it to include a video, so my original reply might be confusing. So, instead....

Just go see the sticky thread at How to post images in your threads
__________________

Last edited by harveyc : 10-29-2008 at 11:56 AM.
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Okinawan Bananeiro
 
Mauro Gibo's Avatar
 
Location: Kameyama, Mie, Japan
Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 217
BananaBucks : 46,385
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 611 Times
Was Thanked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Mail Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong View Post
Hello again Mauro-san,
Even a picture would be very helpful for us on the outside.

Arigato!

Chong
Chong, my friend and teacher, thank you for organizing my threads, I'm kinda messy. Here in Japan we have the "5 S".
Seiri: Organize, meaning putting or throwing away the tools you don't use.
Seiton: Arrange, meaning putting in order the tools you use often. So you can find it anytime you need it.
Seiketsu: Clean, meaning keep it always clean and shiny. No oil or dirt.
Seiso: Clean, clean it up by brushing, wiping, etc.
****suke: Discipline, meaning keep all the rules, and your uniform tidy.
The 5 S stated above are the basic rules of any Japanese company or home.
But I, being of Italian blood lack these virtues. I'm always mixed up. Not well organized. Put until tomorrow what you can do today! Why do we have "manana", tomorrow? Let's do it manana! That's why Brazil is only 8 years younger than the U.S., but we are far, far, behind. Let's enjoy life today and work manana! With the Japanese it is different, they are workaholic, they rest only after the're dead. If you give a 3-days-vacation to a Japanese, he gets desperate, he doesn't know what to do with it. Japan is about the size of France. 70% of the land in France is arable. In Japan only 15% of the land is arable. Most of the country is mountainous and rocky, of volcanic nature. But production is very high, especially in my area here in Mie Prefecture. Well, what I really want to do now, is to learn how to post pictures in the forum, I'm waiting for my son to come to my house and teach me, I'm kinda uneducated about computers. I'm a slow learner that's why it took me more than 40 years lo learn about the Japanese culture. Bye, for now, and always thank you for helping me. Gracias.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks:
Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #55 (permalink)
The Top Banana In Town!
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Zone: 9-11
Name: Mason
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 101
BananaBucks : 191,959
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 12 Times
Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

There has been a lot of debate about if it is possible to graft bananas. If there is some actual proof for either side, could someone please post it.
__________________
-Mason
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mason
Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chong's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,837
BananaBucks : 72,315
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,254 Times
Was Thanked 1,654 Times in 741 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 932 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
There has been a lot of debate about if it is possible to graft bananas. If there is some actual proof for either side, could someone please post it.
I don't know if there's a way to answer your question. Unfortunately, in this case, at what level do you say that one side or the other is right? Academia might tell you that it's impossible, but people like Mauro say that they've seen indigenous people in Brazil may have been doing it for centuries. From my point of view, I believe that, strictly speaking, there both truths and falsehoods from both sides. The problem is proving facts and to what degree. It would be like answering the question of "If a tree in the forest falls down, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" If you answer, "Yes", or "No", would that be enough? How do you go about proving either one? The truth is that it does, because you can prove it by comparing and reasoning. But under the parameter, "and no one is there to hear it", proving it to be a fact, or non-fact, is impossible. (To differentiate: fact is experienced and/or observed; truth implies revelation which is accepted by reasoning or faith.)

So then, whether grafting bananas is possible or not, boils down to whether you can believe it, or experience it. Having said that, I believe that it is possible.
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Old 05-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
The Top Banana In Town!
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Zone: 9-11
Name: Mason
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 101
BananaBucks : 191,959
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 12 Times
Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong View Post
I don't know if there's a way to answer your question. Unfortunately, in this case, at what level do you say that one side or the other is right? Academia might tell you that it's impossible, but people like Mauro say that they've seen indigenous people in Brazil may have been doing it for centuries. From my point of view, I believe that, strictly speaking, there both truths and falsehoods from both sides. The problem is proving facts and to what degree. It would be like answering the question of "If a tree in the forest falls down, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" If you answer, "Yes", or "No", would that be enough? How do you go about proving either one? The truth is that it does, because you can prove it by comparing and reasoning. But under the parameter, "and no one is there to hear it", proving it to be a fact, or non-fact, is impossible. (To differentiate: fact is experienced and/or observed; truth implies revelation which is accepted by reasoning or faith.)

So then, whether grafting bananas is possible or not, boils down to whether you can believe it, or experience it. Having said that, I believe that it is possible.
Well, it wouldn't be hard to prove. If you try it and it works, then it's true, if it doesn't work, it is not true. Personally, I have never heard of anyone doing this and I see nothing about on the internet.
__________________
-Mason
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mason
Said thanks:
Old 05-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #58 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Location: West Palm Beach
Zone: 10
Name: james
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 505
BananaBucks : 6,438
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 21 Times
Was Thanked 103 Times in 63 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

well how are the diffrent types produced if not from grafting?
frog7994 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To frog7994
Said thanks:
Old 05-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chong's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,837
BananaBucks : 72,315
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,254 Times
Was Thanked 1,654 Times in 741 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 932 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Well, it wouldn't be hard to prove. If you try it and it works, then it's true, if it doesn't work, it is not true. Personally, I have never heard of anyone doing this and I see nothing about on the internet.
That's exactly what I mean. Just because you have not personally observed or experienced it, means that it's not a fact. At least to you. The fact is that there are several, maybe up to a dozen, videos on the subject on Youtube, and you have not seen them, makes it untrue for you, as well. (According to my distinction between fact and truth.) Some of us who have seen the video, and the witness by Mauro, one of our members in this forum, leads us to believe that this is true. Again, that doesn't mean that it is fact until we ourselves personally observe it.
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks:
Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #60 (permalink)
The causasian Asian!
 
Chironex's Avatar
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,788
BananaBucks : 60,796
Feedback: 9 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,375 Times in 793 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

If there is one thing that I have learned in my pursuit of science it is that there are no absolute facts. Predictable outcomes are sometimes skewed by the slightest variables and "experimental error".
It seems that we always want to be correct or right about something, yet variations and aberrations occur. What one believes or does not believe is immaterial to all possible outcomes. Just when you feel that you have a grasp on mother nature, she throws us a curveball. The only certainty in science is that nothing is 100% certain.
__________________
Scot


Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.