Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Main Banana Discussion (http://www.bananas.org/f2/)
-   -   Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem (http://www.bananas.org/f2/dwarf-cavendish-leaf-clump-problem-50683.html)

zachkoro 05-19-2020 08:32 PM

Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
Hi,

Some of you who have grown Dwarf Cavendish (Musa acuminata) before have probably bumped up against this problem.

The leaves at some point in time (probably 5 months ago, it's about 3 years old) started growing at a rate faster than the banana can grow up. That means its beginning to clump a bunch of leaves together.

Is this common? How come it's not growing much vertically? the leaves and plant itself looks very healthy, however, I read this might be a common problem for this type of banana.

Any advice?

Thanks

Mikemooreflorida 05-20-2020 12:54 PM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachkoro (Post 331182)
Hi,

Some of you who have grown Dwarf Cavendish (Musa acuminata) before have probably bumped up against this problem.

The leaves at some point in time (probably 5 months ago, it's about 3 years old) started growing at a rate faster than the banana can grow up. That means its beginning to clump a bunch of leaves together.

Is this common? How come it's not growing much vertically? the leaves and plant itself looks very healthy, however, I read this might be a common problem for this type of banana.

Any advice?

Thanks


Yes, it does happen but fruits normal non the less. Seems to happen more often on the "water sucker" plants than the "sword suckers".

mari@adams.net 05-21-2020 01:09 PM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
Is this what you are talking about? ...This happened to one of my Dwarf Cavendish.....rather than cut the clump off the stalk, I took a knife and did surgery. Just cut into where it was clumped to release the leaves. [IMG][/IMG]

Mikemooreflorida 05-21-2020 06:37 PM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
[quote=mari@adams.net;331218]Is this what you are talking about? ...This happened to one of my Dwarf Cavendish.....rather than cut the clump off the stalk, I took a knife and did surgery. Just cut into where it was clumped to release the leaves.

choke is where the next leaf can't come out at all, I believe what the poster is referring to is where the leaves come out so fast they are just right on top of one another instead of having a few inches of vertical growth between each of them.

Bewareoftheflowers 05-22-2020 02:41 AM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
Do you mean like this?
Is this normal growth, do I need to cut the top off so that it can start again?
Canít figure out how to rotate the photo, sorry.


edwmax 05-22-2020 07:44 AM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
That doesn't look like a DC. ... it looks to be a Truly Tiny or Little Joey.. I can't see the base of the Pstem at the soil line well. If the pstem has a big bulge & it appears to be, it is a Joey. The leaves are normal for these plants.

mari@adams.net 05-22-2020 08:34 AM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewareoftheflowers (Post 331234)
Do you mean like this?
Is this normal growth, do I need to cut the top off so that it can start again?
Canít figure out how to rotate the photo, sorry.


That may be normal for your plant, but that is kind of what one of my dwarf cavendish was doing when I decided to pull down and cut away some of the outside of the stem....seemed to release something and the leaves started growing okay again.

edwmax 05-22-2020 09:35 AM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
There is a Super Dwf Cav that is sometimes sold as a Truly Tiny. The Super Dwf Cav get about 4 to 5 ft at the pstem crown. The Truly Tiny and Little Joey maxs out at 3 ft at the pstem crown.

BlazingBananas64 05-29-2020 12:45 AM

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Leaf Clump Problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mari@adams.net (Post 331248)
That may be normal for your plant, but that is kind of what one of my dwarf cavendish was doing when I decided to pull down and cut away some of the outside of the stem....seemed to release something and the leaves started growing okay again.

Dude, I think your plant's got Banana Bunchy Top.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.