Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Magilla Gorilla's Avatar
 
Location: Holualoa, HI
Zone: 10
Name: Andrew
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 727
BananaBucks : 192,461
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 612 Times
Was Thanked 1,183 Times in 357 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 79 Times
Default Does this look like BBTV?

Aloha All,

Hawaii life is great! On my way to my office I noticed a banana plant that looked different. The younger leaves look normal but several new leaves are very small and are curled. The plant is around 6-7 feet tall. There are other plants near by that look normal. Does this look like BBTV? If so, should I knock on the persons door and try to talk to them or call HDOA?
Thanks!

__________________
Andrew

Find more about Weather in Kailua Kona, HI
Magilla Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Magilla Gorilla
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 09-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Yug
 
Yug's Avatar
 
Location: Hawaii
Zone: 10-11
Name: Knobby D. Holme
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,465
BananaBucks : 51,320
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 4,009 Times
Was Thanked 1,741 Times in 812 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 470 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Yup, but a close-up of the leaf, especially near the midrib with the light coming from the other side would help confirm that.
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Yug
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nanner Time!
 
LilRaverBoi's Avatar
 
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Zone: 5
Name: Bryan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,935
BananaBucks : 97,981
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 534 Times
Was Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,242 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 855 Times
Send a message via AIM to LilRaverBoi
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Yeah, it kinda does. Might be some sort of nutrient deficiency, but I'd def have it checked out since you're in a BBTV susceptible area.
__________________
BANANA RAVE!
Feel the beat from start to stop, dancin' and movin' from bottom to top!
lilraverboi@genxglow.com
RIP Tog Tan. We love you and will always remember you!
I'm Bryan with a Y! There is no 'I' in BRYAN!
LilRaverBoi is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To LilRaverBoi
Old 09-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
Magilla Gorilla's Avatar
 
Location: Holualoa, HI
Zone: 10
Name: Andrew
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 727
BananaBucks : 192,461
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 612 Times
Was Thanked 1,183 Times in 357 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 79 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yug View Post
Yup, but a close-up of the leaf, especially near the midrib with the light coming from the other side would help confirm that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRaverBoi View Post
Yeah, it kinda does. Might be some sort of nutrient deficiency, but I'd def have it checked out since you're in a BBTV susceptible area.
I think it does as well. How would you deal with the owner. Most people grow banana plants here for a source of food. They may not understand what BBTV is and or who am I making this claim. The agricultural department may be the best way to handle it.
Thanks
__________________
Andrew

Find more about Weather in Kailua Kona, HI
Magilla Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Magilla Gorilla
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Yug
 
Yug's Avatar
 
Location: Hawaii
Zone: 10-11
Name: Knobby D. Holme
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,465
BananaBucks : 51,320
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 4,009 Times
Was Thanked 1,741 Times in 812 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 470 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla Gorilla View Post
I think it does as well. How would you deal with the owner. Most people grow banana plants here for a source of food. They may not understand what BBTV is and or who am I making this claim. The agricultural department may be the best way to handle it.
Thanks
Banana plants that show symptoms rarely bear fruit so it should not be that hard to convince someone to destroy the infected plant.

The virus is spread by infected banana aphids. Sometimes these are spread by ants that 'farm' the aphids much like cattle. Easiest aphid emilination is to kill the aphids by spraying them with soapy water. After spraying the aphids, do not disturb the plant until the next day.

Banana aphids also feed on heliconia and flowering ginger. Although these plants do not harbor the virus, they should also be sprayed to control aphids on them when they are in the vicinity of banana plants. This would help reduce aphid populations in the area.

The main corm and any keikis arising from it must be dug up to prevent regrowth. If the infected plant is in a mat (group or clump of plants), the entire mat should be destroyed, even if only a single sucker is infected. Also, any bananas within a 4 ft radius should also be destroyed even if they do not show symptoms. Some infected plants may not show symptoms for as much as 5 months after infection.

Next, you must ensure that the plant is properly disposed of. Effective methods include incineration, burial in a landfill, thorough chopping and drying, and allowing them to rot in black plastic bags.

note - most hardware stores & plant shops should have insecticidal soap for sale.

Last edited by Yug : 09-17-2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: add info
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Yug
Sponsors

Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Magilla Gorilla's Avatar
 
Location: Holualoa, HI
Zone: 10
Name: Andrew
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 727
BananaBucks : 192,461
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 612 Times
Was Thanked 1,183 Times in 357 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 79 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yug View Post
Banana plants that show symptoms rarely bear fruit so it should not be that hard to convince someone to destroy the infected plant.

The virus is spread by infected banana aphids. Sometimes these are spread by ants that 'farm' the aphids much like cattle. Easiest aphid emilination is to kill the aphids by spraying them with soapy water. After spraying the aphids, do not disturb the plant until the next day.

Banana aphids also feed on heliconia and flowering ginger. Although these plants do not harbor the virus, they should also be sprayed to control aphids on them when they are in the vicinity of banana plants. This would help reduce aphid populations in the area.

The main corm and any keikis arising from it must be dug up to prevent regrowth. If the infected plant is in a mat (group or clump of plants), the entire mat should be destroyed, even if only a single sucker is infected. Also, any bananas within a 4 ft radius should also be destroyed even if they do not show symptoms. Some infected plants may not show symptoms for as much as 5 months after infection.

Next, you must ensure that the plant is properly disposed of. Effective methods include incineration, burial in a landfill, thorough chopping and drying, and allowing them to rot in black plastic bags.

note - most hardware stores & plant shops should have insecticidal soap for sale.
I have insecticidal soap. I will stop by their house this weekend and try to talk to them.

Mahalo Andrew
__________________
Andrew

Find more about Weather in Kailua Kona, HI
Magilla Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Magilla Gorilla
Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: San Diego
Zone: 9-11
Name: Tony
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 18,429
BananaBucks : 714,401
Feedback: 8 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,210 Times
Was Thanked 20,587 Times in 7,758 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,716 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Picture List
sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunfish
Said thanks:
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
Magilla Gorilla's Avatar
 
Location: Holualoa, HI
Zone: 10
Name: Andrew
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 727
BananaBucks : 192,461
Feedback: 6 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 612 Times
Was Thanked 1,183 Times in 357 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 79 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Thanks Tony. Today I went to the breadfruit festival and showed the suspect pictures around. Most thought it was BBTV. I went to the persons house with handouts on BBTV and they were very happy I pointed out this infected plant. I helped them spray soapy water on the leaves and the soil. We then cut the plant up and sprayed again. Next we bagged up and sealed the bags. Lastly we removed the corm and any roots. We sprayed the ground again. The bags were put into a dumpster. The variety was Huamoa.
__________________
Andrew

Find more about Weather in Kailua Kona, HI
Magilla Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Magilla Gorilla
Said thanks:
Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 323
BananaBucks : 65,679
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 183 Times
Was Thanked 317 Times in 143 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla Gorilla View Post
Thanks Tony. Today I went to the breadfruit festival and showed the suspect pictures around. Most thought it was BBTV. I went to the persons house with handouts on BBTV and they were very happy I pointed out this infected plant. I helped them spray soapy water on the leaves and the soil. We then cut the plant up and sprayed again. Next we bagged up and sealed the bags. Lastly we removed the corm and any roots. We sprayed the ground again. The bags were put into a dumpster. The variety was Huamoa.
You did a great thing. I think the protocol includes poisoning the plant with round up, so the plant dies, and can't spread the disease at the dump.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Julian
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 323
BananaBucks : 65,679
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 183 Times
Was Thanked 317 Times in 143 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

I am on Kaua'i for the weekend. Bunchy Top all over the neighbor hood that my sister in law lives in. Multiple mats from 10 to 30 trees per mat infected. I don't think these homeowners can or will put the time into cleaning their yards up. One guy has at least a hundred banana trees in his yard. 25 footers. How does he put in the man hours to clean that up? I feel bad for these people.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Julian
Old 07-06-2021, 02:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 263
BananaBucks : 29,880
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 69 Times
Was Thanked 195 Times in 136 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Does this look like BBTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
You did a great thing. I think the protocol includes poisoning the plant with round up, so the plant dies, and can't spread the disease at the dump.
I thought the disease could only spread via more aphids and moving infected meteriao. It doesn’t spread via something like rain. Correct?
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page

Previous Thread: Dwarf Brazilian
Next Thread: Banana leaf giving up





Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BBTV, Just saw something very interesting. Julian Main Banana Discussion 14 07-17-2012 12:40 PM
BBTV resistant DB? Julian Main Banana Discussion 1 06-27-2012 06:37 AM
BBTV found in reclaimed water Scot Nelson Main Banana Discussion 3 09-28-2009 02:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.





All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.