Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Species Bananas (http://www.bananas.org/f16/)
-   -   Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas? (http://www.bananas.org/f16/red-tiger-bananas-red-bananas-47654.html)

GoingB... 09-18-2017 11:45 PM

Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
Hello, bananas forum it's great to be here and I'm looking forward to speaking with you all and thanks for the add.

I am now living in Cambodia and these guys are banana mad with them growing everywhere you look pretty much! it is safe to say there is no shortage of bananas here. Before I got to Cambodia I traveled through Myanmar, whilst I was there I visited a temple where many monks lived. They offered me to sit down and eat with them so I did. They pulled out the biggest banana I had ever seen and it was red, in terms of the texture it's a little firmer but it still has the banana flavor that we all know and love.

What would I like to know is, is this red banana from a Red Tiger banana plant/seeds? If I purchase some of these Red Tiger seeds from here, for example, http://www.for-sale.co.uk/tiger-banana will I be getting them red bananas I remember? I would love to introduce them to the Cambodians here.

Looking forward to some replies

Thanks

Richard 09-19-2017 12:21 AM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
Banana seeds produce ornamental seeded bananas -- not edible bananas. The seeds are about the size of peas and hard as a rock. Edible bananas are produced by "pups" (sort of like root suckers) of the parent plant. They are seedless.

Lancelot 09-19-2017 05:03 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
The Red Tiger is a sikkimensis musa variety, I have one and it is for the ornamental aspect. There are seeded bananas that produce edible fruit, but you have to eat around the seeds and not bite them or you could break a tooth.

RobG7aChattTN 09-19-2017 07:15 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
I actually ate some Musa sikkimensis fruit once just to try and get the fruit separated from the seeds. I pretty much just mushed it around with my tongue until it was mostly seeds (actually, it was mostly seed from the start but there was a slight bit of fruit in between each seed). If I remember correctly it was firm and had more of an apple/pear flavor.

Tytaylor77 09-19-2017 09:56 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
I've tried to eat a velutina. Mostly seeds and air lol. I wouldn't try again!!

Richard 09-20-2017 01:37 AM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancelot (Post 309668)
The Red Tiger is a sikkimensis musa variety, I have one and it is for the ornamental aspect. There are seeded bananas that produce edible fruit, but you have to eat around the seeds and not bite them or you could break a tooth.

In all the literature -- both common and scientific, seeded bananas are never referred to as edible.

obdiah 09-20-2017 04:02 AM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 309687)
In all the literature -- both common and scientific, seeded bananas are never referred to as edible.

in my book neither are liver squid or yogurt but lots of folks eat them any way
see what kind of post you get when I cant sleep at night

this may be what your thinking of red daca https://justedible.wordpress.com/201...dacca-bananas/

aruzinsky 09-20-2017 12:56 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 309687)
In all the literature -- both common and scientific, seeded bananas are never referred to as edible.

Therefore what is written on bananas.org is not literature. LOL.

And, Wikipedia is not literature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_banana

And, what kind of person pretends to have read all literature?

Gabe15 09-22-2017 12:41 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
All bananas, whatever their seediness status, are edible in the sense that they are not toxic and will not harm you, however, Richard is mostly correct in that in the banana scientific community "edible" refers to parthenocarpic clones which have the ability to produce seedless fruit with pulp. That doesn't mean that they can't produce seed as well, but a plant which can only produce fruit with seeds and can never produce pulpy seedless fruit would not be referred to as "edible". This seems to me to be a matter of understanding the common banana jargon rather than strict dictionary definitions. It's like asking a chef vs. a botanist what a "fruit" is, you will get two very different and possibly opposing, but correct answers.

aruzinsky 09-23-2017 08:43 AM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe15 (Post 309764)
It's like asking a chef vs. a botanist what a "fruit" is, you will get two very different and possibly opposing, but correct answers.

According to the U.S. Supreme Court, a tomato is not a fruit.

obdiah 09-23-2017 01:56 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe15 (Post 309764)
All bananas, whatever their seediness status, are edible in the sense that they are not toxic and will not harm you, however, Richard is mostly correct in that in the banana scientific community "edible" refers to parthenocarpic clones which have the ability to produce seedless fruit with pulp. That doesn't mean that they can't produce seed as well, but a plant which can only produce fruit with seeds and can never produce pulpy seedless fruit would not be referred to as "edible". This seems to me to be a matter of understanding the common banana jargon rather than strict dictionary definitions. It's like asking a chef vs. a botanist what a "fruit" is, you will get two very different and possibly opposing, but correct answers.

come on fellas let cooler heads prevail gabe is a peace maker one of the greatest kind of
people in the world as for me I will admit richard is correct and that I eat inedible: naners
:ha:

GoingB... 09-25-2017 12:03 AM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
I see there are a few mixed feelings if you should eat the fruit with more seeds. When I was in Asia seeds were not a problem and to be honest the fruit didn't even have to be ripe before they would dive into it haha.

Thanks for the replies though guys I now know that they are more ornamental but can still be eaten if wanted. Roughly how big do these Red Tiger Bananas grow?

George Webster 10-01-2017 07:08 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
The original post described the banana as, "the biggest he had ever seen"

Does anyone know what it might be??

George

druss 11-02-2017 07:10 PM

Re: Are Red Tiger bananas red bananas?
 
[IMG][/url][/IMG]
Closest red I could find geographically was kluai lai, a red diploid banana from thailand. Could find no info on it though. The one above is a diploid red from vietnam called Chuoi Tay But which is probably similar. I have also asked a member from Myanmar on another group if he knows the exact type.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.