Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Cold Hardy Bananas
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cold Hardy Bananas This forum is dedicated to the discussion of bananas that are able to grow and thrive in cold areas. You'll find lots of tips and discussions about keeping your bananas over the winter.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
 
Location: Denver, CO
Zone: 6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
BananaBucks : 1,911
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBindy2000 View Post
Interesting. Sounds like a good idea. I look forward to seeing your results next spring.
I need to get pictures on here! We ended up having one light frost last week, but I covered the Bananas and elephant ears, and they're all fine. No threat of frost or cold this week.
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian
Old 10-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverian View Post
I need to get pictures on here! We ended up having one light frost last week, but I covered the Bananas and elephant ears, and they're all fine. No threat of frost or cold this week.
Frost is an indicator that its time to cut them down or dig them up. The plants(corm) needs to be protected from the deep freeze. Everything we see ends up going to waste unless if we live in warm places such as Florida, Gulf Coast, or So Cal. where our issue would be no big deal.

Post some pix, I'd like to see your garden.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Said thanks:
Old 10-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
 
Location: Denver, CO
Zone: 6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
BananaBucks : 1,911
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBindy2000 View Post
Frost is an indicator that its time to cut them down or dig them up. The plants(corm) needs to be protected from the deep freeze. Everything we see ends up going to waste unless if we live in warm places such as Florida, Gulf Coast, or So Cal. where our issue would be no big deal.

Post some pix, I'd like to see your garden.

Last edited by Denverian : 10-14-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Trying to add picture from my gallery
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian
Said thanks:
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
 
Location: Denver, CO
Zone: 6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
BananaBucks : 1,911
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

[IMG][/IMG]

Ah! There we go. I finally got a picture up!

Still no hard freeze in Denver. It's supposed to be 85 today, 80s for the next few days, so I'm still enjoying all of this.
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian
Old 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
 
Location: Denver, CO
Zone: 6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
BananaBucks : 1,911
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a view from the front. Just to the left of the larger Musa, you can see where last year's Musa grew up from nothing, after surviving the winter. But not any real impressive growth there.
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian
Old 10-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverian View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a view from the front. Just to the left of the larger Musa, you can see where last year's Musa grew up from nothing, after surviving the winter. But not any real impressive growth there.
Thanks for posting the pictures. I like your garden.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Old 10-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Really abnormal warmth here in Speedway. Its not suppose to be 80 degrees this late into October. Well I'm taking the end of the week off to do what I don't want to do and that's winterize the bananas and other tropical plants. Such a bummer, but I know next year will be here before I know it. When I hear race cars roaring over at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway I'll know its time to fire up the garden all over again I'll post picks of D-Day, even bigger bummer its suppose to rain.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Said thanks:
Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Container Grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,125
BananaBucks : 15,505
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 2,907 Times
Was Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,305 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,208 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Do you have to protect musa basjoo?
__________________


cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 10-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #29 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

[IMG][/IMG]

Sad day in the rain HA They'll be back bigger and better next year.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
 
beam2050's Avatar
 
Location: middleburg fl.
Zone: 9
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 663
BananaBucks : 111
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,538 Times
Was Thanked 924 Times in 450 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 270 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

looks like your going to war.
beam2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To beam2050
Old 10-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
 
Location: Denver, CO
Zone: 6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
BananaBucks : 1,911
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBindy2000 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Sad day in the rain HA They'll be back bigger and better next year.
Did they freeze already? Mine were hit with about 32 degrees the last two early mornings. I'll chop it this weekend.

Do you immediately wrap the p-stems? Or let them sit for a while first? My thought is that as long as temps aren't dropping into the 20s, it's ok to not be wrapped. Maybe sends it into dormancy? I've let my Elephant Ears be exposed to mid or low 20s before digging up the bulbs, and they've always been ok.

Side note: Once of my neighbors has Elephant Ears and the ones near the SE corner of his house have come back without digging them up or even mulching. I think they're a lot more cold hardy than I thought. Same with his Cannas... they all come back with no mulch. Being near the south or east side of the house keeps them warm enough in winter.
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 10-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverian View Post
Did they freeze already? Mine were hit with about 32 degrees the last two early mornings. I'll chop it this weekend.

Do you immediately wrap the p-stems? Or let them sit for a while first? My thought is that as long as temps aren't dropping into the 20s, it's ok to not be wrapped. Maybe sends it into dormancy? I've let my Elephant Ears be exposed to mid or low 20s before digging up the bulbs, and they've always been ok.

Side note: Once of my neighbors has Elephant Ears and the ones near the SE corner of his house have come back without digging them up or even mulching. I think they're a lot more cold hardy than I thought. Same with his Cannas... they all come back with no mulch. Being near the south or east side of the house keeps them warm enough in winter.
the cannas and elephant ears are little more hardier. We haven't had a frost yet. I was a little worried last night. it was suppose to get down to 35. It didn't get that cold thankfully. Anyway I generally dig mine up that way I can place them in different places. Now the bananas are different story because of their size. Although in the spring I will transplant a couple of my bananas to different areas of the garden. IF you are going do the bubble wrap do that after you mulch the bottom. I decided to not go that route this year. I cut my bananas down to about six inches and covered them with a couple of bags of mulch for each plant. A couple of guys on this site suggest getting away from the bubble wrapping. I was thinking about it and thought back to what the plant looked like after I unwrapped it. It was a sloppy mess all the way to the ground. So I might as well start from the ground.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Said thanks:
Old 10-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Container Grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,125
BananaBucks : 15,505
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 2,907 Times
Was Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,305 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,208 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBindy2000 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Sad day in the rain HA They'll be back bigger and better next year.
That is one big plant......
__________________


cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks:
Old 10-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #34 (permalink)
 
Location: Denver, CO
Zone: 6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
BananaBucks : 1,911
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBindy2000 View Post
the cannas and elephant ears are little more hardier. We haven't had a frost yet. I was a little worried last night. it was suppose to get down to 35. It didn't get that cold thankfully. Anyway I generally dig mine up that way I can place them in different places. Now the bananas are different story because of their size. Although in the spring I will transplant a couple of my bananas to different areas of the garden. IF you are going do the bubble wrap do that after you mulch the bottom. I decided to not go that route this year. I cut my bananas down to about six inches and covered them with a couple of bags of mulch for each plant. A couple of guys on this site suggest getting away from the bubble wrapping. I was thinking about it and thought back to what the plant looked like after I unwrapped it. It was a sloppy mess all the way to the ground. So I might as well start from the ground.

I bought some insulation to wrap it first. That way it can breathe, then maybe bubble wrap on the outside of the insulation.

From last year, I just did bubble wrap and it turned to mush down to the ground. What came back only grew to about 3' tall.

I haven't chopped mine yet. We've had a couple frosts, but most of the leaves survived. No temps predicted below 40 this week, so I'll leave it alone for now. Some elephant ear leaves were burned, so I cut them off. But still plenty left ok.
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian
Said thanks:
Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverian View Post
I bought some insulation to wrap it first. That way it can breathe, then maybe bubble wrap on the outside of the insulation.

From last year, I just did bubble wrap and it turned to mush down to the ground. What came back only grew to about 3' tall.

I haven't chopped mine yet. We've had a couple frosts, but most of the leaves survived. No temps predicted below 40 this week, so I'll leave it alone for now. Some elephant ear leaves were burned, so I cut them off. But still plenty left ok.
Is your plant a Musa Basjoo or another type of banana? Mine is a Musa Basjoo and I did the bubble wrap and hay and bag with mulch in the bottom of the bag and it worked well. It was a sloppy mess in the spring, but the plant exploded to a height of 15 feet, with two other healthy pups that grew in excess of ten feet with it. This year I am gambling by cutting this baby down to six inches and used two bags of mulch untop of it. I'll let you and everyone know how this turns out in the spring. If its a winner its probably the best way to deal with our bananas for winterizing. Keep in mind, I saw you tube videos of guys doing the bubble wrapping, but they seem to be from Vancouver. I'm sure their winters are more mild that ours(Indy, Denver) winters, since they are right off the ocean. Maybe not I have no idea but the idea looked like a good one.

I love my elephant ears and always choose to dig them up. I hate to lose them but I hate to lose any plant for that matter.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Sponsors

Old 10-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
 
Location: Denver, CO
Zone: 6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
BananaBucks : 1,911
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBindy2000 View Post
Is your plant a Musa Basjoo or another type of banana? Mine is a Musa Basjoo and I did the bubble wrap and hay and bag with mulch in the bottom of the bag and it worked well. It was a sloppy mess in the spring, but the plant exploded to a height of 15 feet, with two other healthy pups that grew in excess of ten feet with it. This year I am gambling by cutting this baby down to six inches and used two bags of mulch untop of it. I'll let you and everyone know how this turns out in the spring. If its a winner its probably the best way to deal with our bananas for winterizing. Keep in mind, I saw you tube videos of guys doing the bubble wrapping, but they seem to be from Vancouver. I'm sure their winters are more mild that ours(Indy, Denver) winters, since they are right off the ocean. Maybe not I have no idea but the idea looked like a good one.

I love my elephant ears and always choose to dig them up. I hate to lose them but I hate to lose any plant for that matter.
Yes, I have Musa Basjoo.

Did you take a trash bag and cut a hole in the bottom, then slide it over the p-stem? Then fill it with mulch? And what do you use for mulch? I used grass/leaf clippings last year all around the base. That saved it from completely dying and I had new growth come up from nothing. The wrapping just didn't save the p-stem.

Indy and Denver probably have similar lows in winter. But Denver's lowest average high is 43 in Dec - Jan. Lows that time of year are typically in the mid teens to low 20s.

Vancouver is much warmer. Their average lows never get below freezing, although it does freeze every now and then. A much more garden-friendly climate!
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian
Said thanks:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverian View Post
Yes, I have Musa Basjoo.

Did you take a trash bag and cut a hole in the bottom, then slide it over the p-stem? Then fill it with mulch? And what do you use for mulch? I used grass/leaf clippings last year all around the base. That saved it from completely dying and I had new growth come up from nothing. The wrapping just didn't save the p-stem.

Indy and Denver probably have similar lows in winter. But Denver's lowest average high is 43 in Dec - Jan. Lows that time of year are typically in the mid teens to low 20s.

Vancouver is much warmer. Their average lows never get below freezing, although it does freeze every now and then. A much more garden-friendly climate!
Interesting, I don't much about Vancouver. I assumed it might be similar to Seattle. Anyway, to your question. Before I put the bag on I put a bunch of mulch in the area I assumed where the corm is and I did cut the bottom of a trash bag then put it over the stalk, then I put another layer of mulch. Then I bubble wrapped the stalk and then I packed the bag with hey(other yard waste would work fine). Then I put two more bags over the initial bag. I did this with one of my bananas the other day. On top of the second bag I put a tarp over the bag and put a trashcan over that. I'm sure it will keep it dry. We'll see what happens. I believe I can guarantee a success to this but what I'm learning on these discussions it might not be worth the hassle. Its seems more practical to bubble wrap in warmer climates, and in our climates we just need to cut them down and pile mulch on them. Whichever way we go about protecting our plants we should succeed.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Said thanks:
Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
The Cat Whisperer
 
Snarkie's Avatar
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
Zone: 8b
Name: D.A. Hänks
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,346
BananaBucks : 47,022
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 833 Times
Was Thanked 1,391 Times in 800 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 823 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBindy2000 View Post
I'll pay attention to the sizes of the photos. I have a lot I would love to share.
If they are too big, you can resize them in MS Paint. If they are that huge, I would reduce to 33%, and save as the same name of the original, followed be the word, "small." Try again with the new smaller file and they should upload just fine.
__________________
Doug (D.A. Hänks) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2955582/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1


The Only Eastern Redwood Forest in America



PhotoBucket has sold out. I'll get my pic back up soon on some other site.
"Nuke my 'nanners, will you?!"
Snarkie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Snarkie
Said thanks:
Old 11-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 98
BananaBucks : 7,869
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 132 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarkie View Post
If they are too big, you can resize them in MS Paint. If they are that huge, I would reduce to 33%, and save as the same name of the original, followed be the word, "small." Try again with the new smaller file and they should upload just fine.
I have actually don't that and that's how I have been able to share my photos.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transplant question jeffaroo Main Banana Discussion 7 10-07-2014 10:36 PM
Winter mulch: Good idea or bad idea? caliboy1994 Main Banana Discussion 8 12-08-2013 12:52 PM
I have an interesting idea. Is it a good idea? caliboy1994 Main Banana Discussion 11 08-31-2013 04:00 PM
cold hardy question and idea Zacarias Cold Hardy Bananas 4 09-03-2008 06:31 PM
Transplant excitement and question gadget Main Banana Discussion 26 07-09-2008 09:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.