Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Cold Hardy Bananas
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cold Hardy Bananas This forum is dedicated to the discussion of bananas that are able to grow and thrive in cold areas. You'll find lots of tips and discussions about keeping your bananas over the winter.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
iain42's Avatar
 
Location: Little Rock
Zone: 7b or 8a
Name: iain42
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
BananaBucks : 956
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 12 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Atlanta Zoo Banana Ident

I saw this banana tree at the Atlanta Zoo and they are huge. The leaves are taler than I am at almost 6ft. Any ideas?
Sorry for image size not sure how to resize via ling.


This is what I currently have trying to do a subtropical garden that looks tropical. I have musa basjoo and thai black but want to thin out basjoo to add musa valintina or whatever this tall treei is at the zoo. These plants are about 7 years old but I move them around as needed or trade for other plants.


iain42 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To iain42

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 06-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,739
BananaBucks : 3,830
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,787 Times
Was Thanked 10,694 Times in 4,413 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,624 Times
Default Re: Atlanta Zoo Banana Ident

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain42 View Post
I saw this banana tree at the Atlanta Zoo and they are huge. The leaves are taler than I am at almost 6ft. Any ideas?
Sorry for image size not sure how to resize via ling.


This is what I currently have trying to do a subtropical garden that looks tropical. I have musa basjoo and thai black but want to thin out basjoo to add musa valintina or whatever this tall treei is at the zoo. These plants are about 7 years old but I move them around as needed or trade for other plants.


Awesome tropical space you have there.

Here is my take.
Your basjoos seem to be reaching 1/3 of their size for some reason.
In your zone with good soil and fertilization they could attain a 9 ft pstem with 12foot leaves or about 20 ft tall in a growing season

The banana plant in the photo looks like a common type Orinoco/Tall Namwah with the understory plants being Tetrapanax.
The Tetrapanax T.rex has a large tropical look and is a good spreader but it could grow too large for the area.

All plants are readily available and are cool hardy for your zone .
All the vendors on the forum will have a plant that has the height requirement or taller that you want.....just send them a message and they will be happy to help you out.
__________________
🌴

Last edited by cincinnana : 06-27-2019 at 09:50 AM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
iain42's Avatar
 
Location: Little Rock
Zone: 7b or 8a
Name: iain42
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
BananaBucks : 956
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 12 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Atlanta Zoo Banana Ident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
Awesome tropical space you have there.

Here is my take.
Your basjoos seem to be reaching 1/3 of their size for some reason.
In your zone with good soil and fertilization they could attain a 9 ft pstem with 12foot leaves or about 20 ft tall in a growing season
That is due to my transplanting. I've been moving things around. I had a pool put in and it demolished all my landscaping. The original clump still gets up to 15ft tall. I also do fertilize use super soil and hit it with fish emulsion but not as much this year as concentrating on other landscaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
The banana plant in the photo looks like a common type Orinoco/Tall Namwah with the understory plants being Tetrapanax.
The Tetrapanax T.rex has a large tropical look and is a good spreader but it could grow too large for the area.
Nice and is that a cold hardy? It looked it and didn't look moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
All plants are readily available and are cool hardy for your zone .
All the vendors on the forum will have a plant that has the height requirement or taller that you want.....just send them a message and they will be happy to help you out.
Thank you!!!!
iain42 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To iain42
Said thanks:
Old 06-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
hdynad's Avatar
 
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Zone: 9
Name: Darla
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 455
BananaBucks : 38,228
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,751 Times
Was Thanked 794 Times in 316 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 52 Times
Default Re: Atlanta Zoo Banana Ident

Just beautiful, thank you for sharing, deffinately something to be proud of for sure.
Happy growing,
Darla
__________________
Currently growing, , DGM Highgate, Little Prince, Blue Java, Dwarf Ornico, Super Dwarf,, Veinte Cohol, William's, Goldfinger, Sweetheart, Pisang Ceylon, Mysore, Dwarf Red, SH3640 (High Noon) ,Truly Tiny, Dwarf Brazilian , Ensete Glaucum, Musa Pitogo, Hoa Moa, Raja Puri, Lat Bronze, Tall Namwah, Thai Black, Thai Gold, verigated Chaing Rai, Matook, Monthan, Vero, Manzano, Praying Hands. Yunnan, Hawiaan Crown, Patupi & Musa Zebrina and 1 Mystery Nanner!
hdynad is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To hdynad
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cold hardy ornamental banana trees atlanta GA. thebananaman Member Introductions 10 07-03-2019 09:11 AM
Gift for banana lover in South Atlanta Kat2 Cold Hardy Bananas 3 09-01-2013 01:57 AM
Identification of Banana in Atlanta austinl01 Banana Identification 2 10-02-2012 02:20 AM
Please help ident this banana Jimzone7 Banana Identification 2 08-14-2008 12:37 AM
Atlanta Banana sources jmilligan1976 Main Banana Discussion 6 05-20-2008 06:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.





All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.