Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Other Topics > Member Introductions
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Member Introductions This is the `tell us about yourself` category. Please make an introductory post here, let us know a little about yourself. A perfect place to break the ice.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Location: France
Zone: 8
Name: Jc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 255
BananaBucks : 53,060
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Lightbulb Hi !

Hi,

I am new in growing bananas,

I have only 2 plants...
  • Musa basjoo
  • Musella lasiocarpa

... and trying to start from seeds:
  • Musa Sikkimensis Darj Giant
  • Musa Sikkimensis Helen's hybrid
  • Musa Itinerans

I have read the "Banana Seed Germination" threads, that helped me a lot!

So thanks for this !

Thanks to bananarama2 , barnetmill , Blake09 , caliboy1994 , Chance1945 , Dalmatiansoap , Darkman , harveyc , HoaNui , island cassie , justjoan , MediaHound , momoese , oakshadows , Olafhenny , palmtree , paulorph , Richard , saltydad , Scuba_Dave , stumpy4700 , sunfish , TRAY , venturabananas , willy1der , Worm_Farmer , Yug, Kelso !
__________________
Hi ! How are you ?

Last edited by H2O : 04-26-2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Thanks back
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
The following 35 users say welcome H2O to Bananas.org!
Abnshrek (10-02-2012), amantedelenguaje (11-20-2012), bananarama2 (03-01-2012), barnetmill (02-28-2012), Blake09 (03-03-2012), caliboy1994 (02-27-2012), Chance1945 (02-27-2012), cincinnana (03-08-2013), Dalmatiansoap (02-27-2012), Darkman (02-27-2012), ez (01-04-2014), harveyc (04-23-2012), HoaNui (02-27-2012), hope (08-03-2013), island cassie (02-27-2012), justjoan (03-02-2012), Kelso (04-26-2012), MediaHound (04-13-2012), momoese (02-27-2012), oakshadows (02-28-2012), Olafhenny (02-28-2012), palmtree (03-01-2012), paulorph (02-28-2012), PR-Giants (05-11-2014), Richard (02-28-2012), saltydad (02-28-2012), scottu (08-13-2014), Scuba_Dave (03-08-2012), stumpy4700 (02-29-2012), sunfish (02-27-2012), TRAY (02-27-2012), venturabananas (02-29-2012), willy1der (02-29-2012), Worm_Farmer (03-10-2012), Yug (02-27-2012)

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Location: Bayou La Batre, Alabama
Zone: 9
Name: Terry
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 227
BananaBucks : 71,489
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 140 Times
Was Thanked 220 Times in 129 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 58 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Welcome, I hope you have better luck with your seeds than I do. I planted some back in Aug. and I'm still waiting. I buy pups now instead. Instant gratification.

Terry
Chance1945 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chance1945
Said thanks:
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Location: France
Zone: 8
Name: Jc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 255
BananaBucks : 53,060
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance1945 View Post
Welcome, I hope you have better luck with your seeds than I do. I planted some back in Aug. and I'm still waiting. I buy pups now instead. Instant gratification.

Terry
Thanks Terry,

the seeds are on "alternate" temperature for 2 weeks now, a few have lost the "micropylar plug", i hope it's a good sign, time will tell!
__________________
Hi ! How are you ?

Last edited by H2O : 02-28-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling correction
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
paulorph's Avatar
 
Zone: 6
Name: Paulo
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 72
BananaBucks : 20,872
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 34 Times
Was Thanked 69 Times in 43 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 6 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Welcome Here H2O Enjoy the site. I agree about starting from pups. Seeds will take forever from what I have read. But nice thing is that pups come up here or you could put a request in the buy/sell area here. Everyone here is great and very knowledgeable. But if you have the seed, plant them and see what happens. I am just too impatient to wait for them to grow
__________________
Hi from cold Ann Arbor,Michigan! Go Blue!
paulorph is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To paulorph
Said thanks:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Location: France
Zone: 8
Name: Jc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 255
BananaBucks : 53,060
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulorph View Post
Welcome Here H2O Enjoy the site. I agree about starting from pups. Seeds will take forever from what I have read. But nice thing is that pups come up here or you could put a request in the buy/sell area here. Everyone here is great and very knowledgeable. But if you have the seed, plant them and see what happens. I am just too impatient to wait for them to grow
Thanks paulorph,

I am impatient too !
__________________
Hi ! How are you ?
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
Sponsors

Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
barnetmill
 
barnetmill's Avatar
 
Location: 8b in Northwest Florida near Alabama
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 276
BananaBucks : 44,995
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 89 Times
Was Thanked 290 Times in 190 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Welcome H20

I am also new to this forum and have already learned quite a bit. France did control the area that I live in from 1719-1722 and it is interesting to have someone from France on this forum. France is famous for pears, grapes, apples and probably many other things I know little about. Perhaps you can share some experiences that you might have with other fruits and plants from your homeland.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Location: France
Zone: 8
Name: Jc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 255
BananaBucks : 53,060
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Welcome H20

I am also new to this forum and have already learned quite a bit. France did control the area that I live in from 1719-1722 and it is interesting to have someone from France on this forum. France is famous for pears, grapes, apples and probably many other things I know little about. Perhaps you can share some experiences that you might have with other fruits and plants from your homeland.
I have some experience but not really in the plants from my homeland.
But if you need help in these plants , let me know, i will try to find the information for you.

Here are some seeds / plants already done :
From seed:
  • Tamarindus indica (Tamarind)
  • Punica granatum (Pomegranate)
  • Asimina Triloba (Paw Paw)
  • Ziziphus jujuba (jujube)
  • Hippophae rhamnoides (sea-buckthorn)
  • Phyllostachys pubescens (moso bamboo)
  • Dendrocalamus giganteus (giant bamboo)
  • Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto or Bush palmetto)
  • Washingtonia robusta (Mexican Fan Palm or Mexican Washingtonia)
  • Phoenix dactylifera (date palm)
Plants:
  • Amelanchier (serviceberry)
  • Trachycarpus fortunei (Chusan Palm, Windmill Palm or Chinese Windmill Palm)
  • Cornus mas (Cornelian Cherry)
  • Hippophae rhamnoides (sea-buckthorn)
__________________
Hi ! How are you ?
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
Said thanks:
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
barnetmill
 
barnetmill's Avatar
 
Location: 8b in Northwest Florida near Alabama
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 276
BananaBucks : 44,995
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 89 Times
Was Thanked 290 Times in 190 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I have some experience but not really in the plants from my homeland.
But if you need help in these plants , let me know, i will try to find the information for you.

Here are some seeds / plants already done :
From seed:
  • Tamarindus indica (Tamarind)
  • Punica granatum (Pomegranate)
  • Asimina Triloba (Paw Paw)
  • Ziziphus jujuba (jujube)
  • Hippophae rhamnoides (sea-buckthorn)
  • Phyllostachys pubescens (moso bamboo)
  • Dendrocalamus giganteus (giant bamboo)
  • Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto or Bush palmetto)
  • Washingtonia robusta (Mexican Fan Palm or Mexican Washingtonia)
  • Phoenix dactylifera (date palm)
Plants:
  • Amelanchier (serviceberry)
  • Trachycarpus fortunei (Chusan Palm, Windmill Palm or Chinese Windmill Palm)
  • Cornus mas (Cornelian Cherry)
  • Hippophae rhamnoides (sea-buckthorn)
From the list I see that you have a lot of experience. I am not having good results from the Pomegranate and the Paw Paw.

It is for the Paw Paw that I am currently looking for advice. They do apparently grow wild in some areas nearby to me. What I have are three plants that a nursery (Just Fruits and Exotics) grew from seeds and another from the Escambia Forest that I understand was grown from a cutting by a local nursery. Anyway the instructions provided said to put the paw paws in shade while they were young. I placed them in a drained portion of a forested creek bottom. I suspect the soil is acid. I am planning to cut down the shading trees and maybe fertilize and otherwise amend the soil. What do you or anyone else here use to amend the soil about paw paws?

Thanks
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Location: France
Zone: 8
Name: Jc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 255
BananaBucks : 53,060
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Lightbulb Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
From the list I see that you have a lot of experience. I am not having good results from the Pomegranate and the Paw Paw.

It is for the Paw Paw that I am currently looking for advice. They do apparently grow wild in some areas nearby to me. What I have are three plants that a nursery (Just Fruits and Exotics) grew from seeds and another from the Escambia Forest that I understand was grown from a cutting by a local nursery. Anyway the instructions provided said to put the paw paws in shade while they were young. I placed them in a drained portion of a forested creek bottom. I suspect the soil is acid. I am planning to cut down the shading trees and maybe fertilize and otherwise amend the soil. What do you or anyone else here use to amend the soil about paw paws?

Thanks
  • PawPaw :
    From seeds keywords are seeds freshness and 3 month cold stratification at 4C (39F). The young plant must avoid direct sunlight for the first 2 years.
    Older PawPaw can bear direct sunlight

    I got 3 "one year old" that suffered of direct sunlight because i didn't know.
    Now, a few leafs appears, after a winter at home in pots.

    I will try seed from an American store this year.
    They do sell "KY Champion Pawpaw Scions" & others for grafting but with Domestic shipment only. PawPaw Scions can't produce root
    Of course, from seed, i won't have fruits before 7 years i think.
    Here is the link that will help you with more details.

    You can move your pawpaw in good soil but keep a little old soil in contact with roots as they do not like transplant that much!
    see Can I transplant trees or root suckers from my woods?
    .
  • Pomegrenade :
    For seeds, easy, but 1 month cold stratification at 4C (39F) is necessary.
    Of course pulp have to be removed before stratification.
    From my experience, germinating the 12th day after sowing in good compost 5 to 10mm deep (0.39 in. max). (Near windows & heat + I put the little pot in a clear bag to keep humidity.= quicker)

    Effect of stratification on seed germination and seedling
    performance of wild pomegranate

__________________
Hi ! How are you ?

Last edited by H2O : 02-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
Said thanks:
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
barnetmill
 
barnetmill's Avatar
 
Location: 8b in Northwest Florida near Alabama
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 276
BananaBucks : 44,995
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 89 Times
Was Thanked 290 Times in 190 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
  • PawPaw :
    From seeds keywords are seeds freshness and 3 month cold stratification at 4C (39F). The young plant must avoid direct sunlight for the first 2 years.
    Older PawPaw can bear direct sunlight

    I got 3 "one year old" that suffered of direct sunlight because i didn't know.
    Now, a few leafs appears, after a winter at home in pots.

    I will try seed from an American store this year.
    They do sell "KY Champion Pawpaw Scions" & others for grafting but with Domestic shipment only. PawPaw Scions can't produce root
    Of course, from seed, i won't have fruits before 7 years i think.
    Here is the link that will help you with more details.

    You can move your pawpaw in good soil but keep a little old soil in contact with roots as they do not like transplant that much!
    see Can I transplant trees or root suckers from my woods?
    .
  • Pomegrenade :
    For seeds, easy, but 1 month cold stratification at 4C (39F) is necessary.
    Of course pulp have to be removed before stratification.
    From my experience, germinating the 12th day after sowing in good compost 5 to 10mm deep (0.39 in. max). (Near windows & heat + I put the little pot in a clear bag to keep humidity.= quicker)

    Effect of stratification on seed germination and seedling
    performance of wild pomegranate

It seems they are ready for sunlight. Better amending of the soil is next. Thanks very much for the information.

My problem is that my soil is very poor. Previously the major industry on this land was silvaculture of pine trees because regular farming crops like corn and cotton did not do well.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Location: France
Zone: 8
Name: Jc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 255
BananaBucks : 53,060
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
It seems they are ready for sunlight. Better amending of the soil is next. Thanks very much for the information.

My problem is that my soil is very poor. Previously the major industry on this land was silvaculture of pine trees because regular farming crops like corn and cotton did not do well.
Hopefully tap root will find better soil deeper . (Asimina has a long tap root)
__________________
Hi ! How are you ?
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
barnetmill
 
barnetmill's Avatar
 
Location: 8b in Northwest Florida near Alabama
Zone: 8b
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 276
BananaBucks : 44,995
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 89 Times
Was Thanked 290 Times in 190 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Hopefully tap root will find better soil deeper . (Asimina has a long tap root)
Well that is important to know about a long taproot. The soil in most places of my property gets worse as you go downward.
I have not had much success with pecan which has a very long taproot or walnuts yet, but the blight resistant dunstan chestnut and a chinese chestnut are doing well. The native chinquapin type of chestnuts will not survive on my place I assume due to blight.

Last edited by barnetmill : 02-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Location: France
Zone: 8
Name: Jc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 255
BananaBucks : 53,060
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Well that is important to know about a long taproot. The soil in most places of my property gets worse as you go downward.
I have not had much success with pecan or walnuts yet, but the blight resistant dunstan chestnut and a chinese chestnut are doing well. The native chinquapin type of chestnuts will not survive on my place I assume due to blight.
Then i wish you luck in amending of the soil !
__________________
Hi ! How are you ?
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
Said thanks:
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Going Ape for Bananas
 
stumpy4700's Avatar
 
Location: Cane Ridge Tn.
Zone: Zone 7
Name: Stumpy-----a.k.a Jeff
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,193
BananaBucks : 25,466
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 1,351 Times
Was Thanked 675 Times in 349 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,298 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Welcome H2O, from Nashville, Tennessee USA....Good luck with your seeds.
stumpy4700 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To stumpy4700
Said thanks:
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
 
palmtree's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
Zone: 7b
Name: Alex C
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,016
BananaBucks : 72,865
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1,492 Times
Was Thanked 1,425 Times in 643 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 103 Times
Default Re: Hi !

Welcome from NYC! Im really bad at starting most plants from seed so I hope you have more luck than I do. I hear that Musa Velutina is one of the easiest bananas to start from seed so you might want to try them!
Im also a bit impatient when it comes to growing things from seed and banana plants are very slow to start from seed. If you can find pups, definitely try those. You will be more confident that you were given the correct species (sometimes seeds are not ID'ed correctly) and you will get tall plants much faster. I got a Musa saba as a small pup in October 2010 and now just 1.5 years later it is 9 feet tall and grows very fast during hot weather!
Good luck!
__________________
Location: New York City, zone 7b
palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To palmtree
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.