Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.bananas.org/f11/)
-   -   Aloha from Makakilo (http://www.bananas.org/f11/aloha-makakilo-15078.html)

UncleMick 02-26-2012 05:14 AM

Aloha from Makakilo
 
Howzit all,
I've been looking at expanding my banana farm as the demand for my baked banana products mean I have to take my rootstock out of the confines of my back yard. Doesn't anybody wholesale bananas on Oahu anymore? Anyway, it is good to be here and I look forward to learning a thing or two here.

Yug 02-26-2012 11:23 AM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
:08:

I don't know about wholesale of bananas on Oahu, but if I did I'd be wondering if you were referring to the fruit or the plants.

UncleMick 02-26-2012 01:28 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
My breads and such are becoming more popular than my bananas which wouldn't be so popular if it WASN'T for the bananas. So my dilemma is to get out of growing the bananas and concentrate on product and either buy the bananas that meet my standards or have someone grow my cloned plants or even find a better fruit that someone else is growing. I use Cavendish bananas that go back to the late forties as far as it's "Bloodline."

Yug 02-26-2012 01:48 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleMick (Post 188017)
My breads and such are becoming more popular than my bananas which wouldn't be so popular if it WASN'T for the bananas. So my dilemma is to get out of growing the bananas and concentrate on product and either buy the bananas that meet my standards or have someone grow my cloned plants or even find a better fruit that someone else is growing. I use Cavendish bananas that go back to the late forties as far as it's "Bloodline."

So, you are suffering from your success. Good for you!! (I think :lurk: ).

Is your banana line different from the ones we see in the grocery stores? If anything, I'd think yours would have a better flavor since I believe that all the ones in the groceries (except locally grown 'Apple' - really Brazilian) are shipped in after being gassed. :waving:

UncleMick 02-26-2012 02:05 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
Mine are grown locally and organically in rich volcanic Hawaiian soil and are Cavendish. I do have an apple variety but haven't used it in the product.

oakshadows 02-26-2012 07:43 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
You should find the banana education you want right here as the membership has many very knowledgable people willing to share what they can do for you. Has helped us a lot. Good luck.

Chance1945 02-27-2012 12:40 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
I've ordered a tray of tc Gros Michel which is to be delivered this next month and there are some left if you are interested.

In fact if anyone else is interested let me know.

Yug 02-27-2012 12:57 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chance1945 (Post 188072)
I've ordered a tray of tc Gros Michel which is to be delivered this next month and there are some left if you are interested.

In fact if anyone else is interested let me know.

Which cultivar? Highgate, Lowgate, Cocos, or something else?

Chance1945 02-27-2012 04:22 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
This is the same Gros Michel that was the subject of a two page discussion within the last couple weeks. I ordered them from AgriStarts for the group because there was so much interest. You know more about them, I'm sure, than I do. So you tell me because I don't know, but I'd like to.

There was all kinds of interest until I ordered them but then the interest waned and I have still a half tray of them so it looks like I'll be able to start a plantation right here in the bayou.

Terry

Yug 02-27-2012 04:55 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chance1945 (Post 188096)
This is the same Gros Michel that was the subject of a two page discussion within the last couple weeks. I ordered them from AgriStarts for the group because there was so much interest. You know more about them, I'm sure, than I do. So you tell me because I don't know, but I'd like to.

There was all kinds of interest until I ordered them but then the interest waned and I have still a half tray of them so it looks like I'll be able to start a plantation right here in the bayou.

Terry

I don't remember if there was a particular cultivar of Gros Michel that was mentioned in that thread, do you?

Chance1945 02-27-2012 05:01 PM

Re: Aloha from Makakilo
 
I remember that the material was furnished to AgriStarts by the USDA. I guess I could go and look it up.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.