View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
alah

Zone: Tropics
Name: Alberto Albert
BananaBucks : 30,811
Said "Thanks" 24 Times
Was Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Is Musa Ensete pstem edible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax View Post
Alberto, didn't notice your location! ¡Bienvenidos! It's nice to finally have another northern SA member.

I'm with Gabe - E. ventricosum is not something I'd be growing for its fruit - it is far too seedy to be of value as an edible. If you want plantain-type fruits, I'd go with the Cien Libras (Platano Macho) or maybe Orinoco (Chato) cultivars, or if you can find them, Maqueño (Gros Michel - I have them here in Ecuador, so there's no reason for them not to be in Venezuela).

I am not yet into TC, largely because my farm is in the middle of nowhere and I don't have a reliable clean room that I can keep the cucarachas out of at the moment. When I finish constructing the lab, I will certainly start TCing, largely to meet the demand of people here on the org that want South American varieties.
OK, Thanks, everybody. Just to be sure I got this straight I up loadaed the photo which started this thread:

Musa and Ensete are two different sub species of the Musaceae family.

E. ventricosum the very heart of the pstem ( pseudostem? )of young plants is edible

E. ( Ensete? ) ventricosum has very small fruits with very large seeds.
So, for sure, this an Ensete Ventrcosum. It takes about three years for it to fruit and the seeds can be germinated. Right? Thanks.
alah is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To alah