View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
BILL MA

BananaBucks : 32,201
Said "Thanks" 17 Times
Was Thanked 108 Times in 24 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: 1 Year Basjoo Growth in Mass.

Saltydad, the only palms that I'm using the heating cables on is the Washingtonia Robustas. They are not even close to hardy but they are such a awsome palm that grows like mad. I figured the only chance I had to get them going was the heat under them plus serious protection of course! Austin in Littlerock was the one who really got me thinking about it a few years back after watching his grow from small to giant in just 3 years. Thanks Austin!!! I wasn't as patient though I bought 8 footers with 4' clear trunk. LOL!

John your very welcome for the source! For people with climates like ours they really do the trick (fall,winter,spring). I have had good luck in previous years but man! 8 foot clear trunk in a little over 3 months I would say they worked better then well. I forgot to mention the weekly application of banana fuel, that helped too I'm sure. By far the best fertilizer I have used for nanas which I found on this site (thank you)

Tania & bananadude, there are so many choices for you guys regarding palms that will work in your area if you are willing to protect them properly. Tropical gardening is my hobbie so I don't mind spending the time or money on protecting my palms and nanas over the winter. I actually treat it like a challenge which has worked very well so far. If you guys are really interested PM me or email me and I'll give you more info then you need.
billo@shewmail.com

Here's another picture of the front of my house. The top of the bottom window is 10 feet and the bottom of the second floor one is a little over 14 for scale. I can see the orinoco through my living room window blowing back and forth pretty neat being on the second floor! That one should be nice and light to carry into the basement.

Bill
BILL MA is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BILL MA
Said thanks: