View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
alah

Zone: Tropics
Name: Alberto Albert
BananaBucks : 30,879
Said "Thanks" 24 Times
Was Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: what exactly is tissue culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngeL01 View Post
what exactly is tissue culture? and can i do it at home?
Hi, Bradley. TAKE IT EASY. While I was reading this thread it crossed my mind the amount of sleep Iīm losing each night!, BEFORE I read your quote!
This isnīt really difficult, even though I havenīt even tried it yet!
But as some say, measure twice, cut once. Read some more although sometimos you get more confused so ( take extracts NOT explants ), as Iīm doing; e.g. from this thread I copied and pasted on another document the follwing info:

“As Gabe mentioned before, we generally use 1/2 strength M&S medium, with BA or BAP during initiation.
Generally, 1 mg/ml is adequate although I have seen much lower concentrations of BAP. I believe that this will vary based upon which banana cultivar is being cultured.

I do not use NAA until the rooting phase as it is a rooting auxin. Some add no NAA and just leave out the plant growth regulators altogether in phase 3 - rooting. Try using some in a few cultures and none in others until you find which one works best for your banana plant selection.

No, 1 mg/ml in water. If you are dissolving it in DMSO use about 25 mg/ml. You will use about 5 mg of this BAP solution in your agar.
Note: It's quite alkaline, so be sure to adjust your pH.

When you first start a Banana, it has a tendency to turn black under strong lights because of the phenolic extrudes. Low light helps with this problem. You will need to take the little banana explant out of the first jar and switch it to a new jar about once a week until the phenolic extrudes stop (about 4 or 5 times). After that it’s clear sailing.”

One other point. When I started reading I had no idea about IAA, NAA, 2,4-D not even MS! If you donīt, anybody can post some info. So, take it easy, Alberto.
alah is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To alah