View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bob
Orang Puteh

Zone: 6a
Name: bob
BananaBucks : 205,025
Said "Thanks" 9,537 Times
Was Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,694 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 565 Times
Default Re: Banana Newbie Needs Help Please

Welcome Bonnie and congratulations on some nice plants. Your garden soil will probably not be too good for your potted plants. I use a commercial potting mix HEAVILY ammended with perlite and usually orchid bark chips. You want it to hold a bit of water but drain very thoroughly if that makes sense. I do it by eye so cant help with exact ratios but you should learn to judge this on your own best you can anyway.

I disagree (Respectfully of course ) with Bryan on one point after growing bananas for the past year. My newest theory from this is that the bigger the better as far as pot size for new plants. The reason is that with care you will learn not to overwater even in an oversized pot and the plant will grow in to it and avoid the extra stress of repotting (not to mention transplant shock) sooner than later. I really believe this is one of the mistakes we cold weather gardeners make. Of course plenty will disagree and they are not wrong either, it depends on your situation and eventual goals for your plants (fruit production , hardiness etc.)
Be sure to check out the wiki and search features for info along with just asking whatever you want to know. There is a lot of information available here.

Also I would suggest overwintering your basjoo indoors for at least a season or two until the corm is fairly large and should be that much hardier. The smaller ones I've tried to overwinter have not fared as well as others here have done. I will be trying another from a giant corm this year while bringing indoors a fairly large one that's now been out for 2 seasons. Next year I plan on leaving that out as well.
Good luck with your plants.