View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
jnstropic
jns-TOG

BananaBucks : 62,101
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 296 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Ae Ae in cool weather

Five months ago we had a rain squall that knocked down the two biggest Ae Aes in my yard. The largest one was too large to put up and I just put soil on the roots and hoped for pups. It was too late in the year and it rotted. The smaller plant was moved to another part of the yard. It took three weeks to produce two leaves and then a flower stalk. I removed the flower stalk, hoping for pups. In November the main growth rotted out and 4 of the 6 pups remained. The pups were not green enough to survive the cool weather (no pup was all white) and they all died in December. A pup in the original area grew very fast and produced one pup that looked a miniature plant and one sword shaped pup. The miniature looked very good in October but now is just about ready to die. The sword pup is now as big as its mother was five months ago. In the last four months I had at least 5 plants that could have been sold but the buyers would have lost them to the cool weather and maybe the lack of long days. Even the best plants are very difficult to move in the fall and winter.
To see the pictures of these plants (one was put up today) go to: http://togofcoralgables.com/AeAebananas.aspx
jnstropic is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jnstropic

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors