View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
CValentine
Prolific Epistemologist

Zone: 8b
Name: Che
BananaBucks : 150,637
Said "Thanks" 7,127 Times
Was Thanked 1,782 Times in 625 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 362 Times
Default Re: Tribute To Veterans

Good of you to recognize & remember those who fought, sacrificed & died on the fields for freedom Richard...and all of you...Thank you for caring!

My grandfather served 27 years in the Army, from 1927 as a Private in the Dakota Horse Cavalry to retiring in 1954, W4 CWO.
He is listed on the 1930 census as a soldier in Ft. Meade, SD.
All what my GF did I may never know, my father will not allow me access to my GF's records.
I do know that while my GF served as MI, my GM, my Father & his younger sister & brother all lived in Free Austria during WW II.
Some of what my father shared: after victory over Germany, the Army moved their family to Brady, Texas & then sent my GF to the Pacific Theatre.
All the post cards & letters that were sent to my GrandMother & Father, I got the read a few.
Dad said there were 2 phone calls a year if they were lucky...GF was gone 2 years at a time sometimes.
The perserverance of the Proud American family back then, don't know how they did it.
Makes me glad for the communication systems we have now!

Sorry to babble on...just another Proud American Vet here.
Thank you everyone! ~Cheryl